BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding twice opposite a takeout double - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding twice opposite a takeout double Bidding a major then a minor, and vice versa

#21 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-16, 09:03

For me both would show 5C-4S but the hand type that bids 2 first is top whack for a hand unable to force.

#22 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-17, 10:54

View Postwanoff, on 2016-January-16, 09:03, said:

For me both would show 5C-4S but the hand type that bids 2 first is top whack for a hand unable to force.

IOW, with 4-5 in the blacks and (say) 7-8 HCP, you expect and are prepared for more bidding and another chance. I am taking this one to the bank; it is soooo right, and in the decades of playing I sheepishly admit being oblivious to the idea.

Especially opposite a partner whose takeout Doubles have some resemblance to takeout Doubles, the expectation that someone will make another bid is extremely high when I have this pattern and shape. Will Partner know I am not 3-5 if she is the one who proceeds with 2d or 2h? Maybe not, but will live with that.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#23 User is offline   LAVENDERi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-20, 11:35

(B) is easy to think. 2C...2S means your clubs have at least one more than your spades. You can't bid like that with spades as long as or less than clubs because highers score better. Just be careful of (A). 1S...3C means 4+S&4+C but not always 5+S&4+C. You can bid like that with spades as long as clubs because highers score better than minors. Moreover, (A) is absolutely stronger than (B) because (A) is at a higher level on the second responce.

However, you have clubs two more than spades. For reasonable logic and for a better contract, bid the much longer suit first. Highers absolutely score better than minors when you make all the contracts. But highers can score awfully when they are much more hard to play than minors.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users