Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

looking for a partner

#1 User is offline   Elyk25 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-04, 23:23

Looking for a partner who plays 2/1. I play almost everynight but I'm on the kind of schedule where I don't want to have a to deal with scheduling a specific time to play-- I'm looking for a partner with similar habits who tends to plays nights a lot whom I can just ask to play with on a whim often for practice. I'm looking to play very competitively-- I'd prefer after playing a few times to play mostly random pairs tournaments on BBO (including things like speedball if you wish).

Message me at username Elyk25 for details if interested.

Notes on common conventions used (this is very modifiable-- I'm always willing to learn new things):

1430 RKC
weak jumps in comp
stolen bid doubles
western cuebids
inverted minors
bergen raises
2-way reverse drury
Gambling 3NT
help-suit gametries
DONT or Capalleti (prefer DONT)
DOPI
1NT semi-forcing
4 diamond min
All transfers (minor, jacoby, texas)
puppet stayman
support doubles
new minor forcing
Gerber
Michaels and Unusual 2NT
upsidedown carding (with standard leads)
:-)

#2 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2016-January-06, 09:02

View PostElyk25, on 2016-January-04, 23:23, said:

Looking for a partner who plays 2/1. I play almost everynight but I'm on the kind of schedule where I don't want to have a to deal with scheduling a specific time to play-- I'm looking for a partner with similar habits who tends to plays nights a lot whom I can just ask to play with on a whim often for practice. I'm looking to play very competitively-- I'd prefer after playing a few times to play mostly random pairs tournaments on BBO (including things like speedball if you wish).

[snippage]

The world is a big place. Night for you might be noon for someone else, and we don't have a clue to where you are -- in today's world, even good command of English doesn't indicate where you're from. Even if we assume you're in the US, you could be in Hawaii or New York, a difference of five hours.

Anyway, good luck; if you're in the Houston, Texas area, I'm looking for someone to play more in live games.
Liberty breeds responsibility

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-06, 11:16

View PostSelfGovern, on 2016-January-06, 09:02, said:

The world is a big place. Night for you might be noon for someone else, and we don't have a clue to where you are -- in today's world, even good command of English doesn't indicate where you're from. Even if we assume you're in the US, you could be in Hawaii or New York, a difference of five hours.

Anyway, good luck; if you're in the Houston, Texas area, I'm looking for someone to play more in live games.

His profile says he lives in the Chicago suburbs.

#4 User is offline   catssup 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-06, 20:10

I could do this. My convention card looks a lot like your's. I am in same time zone. My user name is catssup.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-07, 11:30

I hope the OP finds this comment useful. You play a nice mix of solid, commonly played conventions - with one exception. Having "stolen bid doubles" on your convention card is the equivalent of having a flashing neon sign on your card saying "I'm not very good". Better players simply do not play this. Do yourself a favor and learn Lebensohl over 1NT interference.

This obviously is my opinion but I think you will find it widely shared.

#6 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-07, 18:00

Catssup can you please erase that apostrophe!

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-07, 21:15

View PostElyk25, on 2016-January-04, 23:23, said:

I'm looking for a partner with similar habits who tends to plays nights a lot

I always play at night. Everyone does, since it's always night somewhere.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   Elyk25 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-08, 14:50

View Postiandayre, on 2016-January-07, 11:30, said:

I hope the OP finds this comment useful. You play a nice mix of solid, commonly played conventions - with one exception. Having "stolen bid doubles" on your convention card is the equivalent of having a flashing neon sign on your card saying "I'm not very good". Better players simply do not play this. Do yourself a favor and learn Lebensohl over 1NT interference.

Thanks for the advice-- I've recently have looked up Lebensohl for 1NT and it looks like this information will be VERY useful. Thank you!
:-)

#9 User is offline   marnie142 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-14, 16:33

View Postiandayre, on 2016-January-07, 11:30, said:

Agree with that

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users