Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot Duplicate and Bingo Race Only 10 people allowed per tournament

#1 User is offline   Grrbrr 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-29, 09:52

Why does BBO only let 10 people play in Robot duplicate (free) and Bingo Race (free) tournaments?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-29, 10:13

Well in the extreme, if they allowed an unlimited number to play for free, no-one would ever pay to play.

So, if not 10, what number do you suggest, having regard to the fact that the primary objective of the free tournaments is to provide players with an experience from which to judge whether to pay to play in the tournaments that provide their revenue stream?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   Grrbrr 

• Pip

Posted 2016-January-12, 16:22

After reading your answer, I did some research. I watched for a few days the number of people paying to pay robot or bingo race. I never saw it above 2 people. So I don't think that is the reason. Express bridge allows 80 people to play at once. Goulash is usually unlimited. Those are 2 very favorite ways to play. So, I think they should make it more than 10 people allowed to play Bingo or Robot Races....as it's almost impossible to get in.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2016-January-12, 22:45

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-December-29, 10:13, said:

Well in the extreme, if they allowed an unlimited number to play for free, no-one would ever pay to play.

So, if not 10, what number do you suggest, having regard to the fact that the primary objective of the free tournaments is to provide players with an experience from which to judge whether to pay to play in the tournaments that provide their revenue stream?

If 16 is the appropriate number of table for score comparison purposes in the MBC, then maybe it is in robot tournaments also.

If the primary purpose of the free games is truly as you suggest, then it might be appropriate to clear some space for more individual players by limiting in some way the number or frequency of such games each member can play.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-January-12, 23:52

I agree that 16 has some logical elegance, whatever the purpose of the event, without denting BBO finances. I expect it would fill up just as fast, having minimal impact on the ease of joining.

It may not be very effective in converting to paying customers, but that is not proof that it was not the intent. I suppose that I might have the purpose wrong, but it is hard to think of any other purpose.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2016-January-13, 06:53

View PostGrrbrr, on 2016-January-12, 16:22, said:

After reading your answer, I did some research. I watched for a few days the number of people paying to pay robot or bingo race. I never saw it above 2 people.

Robot games include ACBL Robodupes, which are frequently large.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-13, 07:30

Robot reward and robot rebate are quite popular also.

Bingo is not popular but I seem to recall that it was more popular in the beginning when it was first introduced.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-13, 10:02

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-January-12, 22:45, said:

If 16 is the appropriate number of table for score comparison purposes in the MBC

It's not.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-13, 10:22

The race games are not scored duplicate style, so comparing them with MBC deals is apples/oranges.

And in the MBC, we don't use 16 as the number of comparisons, it's just the max times a hand is played before we retire it (we need to draw a line somewhere, to keep from remembering them forever, and this seemed like a reasonable number).

BTW, in f2f ACBL tournaments, boards are typically played 12 or 13 times in a section.

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-13, 10:42

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-13, 10:22, said:

And in the MBC, we don't use 16 as the number of comparisons, it's just the max times a hand is played before we retire it (we need to draw a line somewhere, to keep from remembering them forever, and this seemed like a reasonable number).

You'll note that "seemed" is in the past tense. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   Grrbrr 

• Pip

Posted 2016-January-20, 19:22

Oh goodness, just let more than 10 people in!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users