• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Skill - How often updated?

#41 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-09, 09:21

View Postnullve, on 2016-January-09, 07:20, said:

I did a little experiment today, to see how long it would take me to get a MP game when I chose different self-ratings. I had decided to give up if the table wasn't full after 10 minutes, though.

Result:

* I didn't manage to get a game as Private, Novice, Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced. In fact, noone turned up except after 9 minutes when I was Private.
* I got a game as Expert after 3 minutes.

I didn't try to self-rate as World Class after I got a game as Expert.
You can always search for an existing open table which is not set for "permission required to play", and hope you don't get booted when you sit.

But anyway, I find this unsurprising.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#42 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-09, 11:05

I did a little experiment today, to see how long it would take me to get a MP game

Yeah because that's what all the randoms on BBO are playing, obviously.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#43 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-January-09, 12:09

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-January-09, 11:05, said:

Yeah because that's what all the randoms on BBO are playing, obviously.

I never thought they did. Just look around the the Main Bridge Club and see if you can spot a MP table. There won't be many.

#44 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-09, 12:21

View Postnullve, on 2016-January-09, 12:09, said:

I never thought they did. Just look around the the Main Bridge Club and see if you can spot a MP table. There won't be many.

And then the point of your experiment was... what?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#45 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-09, 16:39

I did a little experiment today, to see how long it would take me to get a MP game when I chose different self-ratings. I had decided to give up if the table wasn't full after 10 minutes, though.

Result:

* I didn't manage to get a game as Private, Novice, Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced. In fact, noone turned up except after 9 minutes when I was Private.
* I got a game as Expert after 3 minutes.

I didn't try to self-rate as World Class after I got a game as Expert.

Very good reply.

I did a little experiment in the past, to see how long it would take me to get a IMP/MP game when I chose different self-ratings with different short messages on Public Chat. Of course,no one couldn't give up if the table wasn't full after 10 minutes, though.

Result:

* I didn't manage to get a game as Novice, Beginner or Intermediate.

* As Advanced or Private,when I typed " Nice players needed" or " need strong players " on Public Chat,I'm often lucky to get a game slowly.

* As Expert, when I typed " Expert+++" on Public Chat,usually I could get a game quickly.

* As World Class, here I can tell everyone a successful experience that you first find a good partner,then while you can type " Expert or Star+++", humm...,do you know what will happen next? Just it is as if all the Experts in the world are are flocking to your table, you have to refuse them at once due to full of your table ! How interesting Expert ! How humorous W.C. !

Here,may I ask everyone a question?
While you would open a table at BBO, if you type " Nice players needed ", usually you might get several random players with " intemediate or advanced " self rating,generally speaking, some of them are beginners actually. However if you type " Strong players needed", then many "Advanced " often come to you table at once,of course,they play so better. So I have been wondering who is stronger between " Expert" and "Strong player", my English is poor, would you tell me?

#46 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 05:46

View Postlycier, on 2016-January-09, 16:39, said:

Here,may I ask everyone a question?
While you would open a table at BBO, if you type " Nice players needed ", usually you might get several random players with " intemediate or advanced " self rating,generally speaking, some of them are beginners actually. However if you type " Strong players needed", then many "Advanced " often come to you table at once,of course,they play so better. So I have been wondering who is stronger between " Expert" and "Strong player", my English is poor, would you tell me?

First of all, beginner has a specific meaning on BBO - it means someone that has been playing bridge between 6 and 12 months. It is much more likely that those intermediates you think of as beginners really are intermediates. Expert also has a specific meaning on BBO, someone that has enjoyed success at national level. "Strong player" on the other hand is a relative term. An intermediate is a strong player in a novice game whereas an expert is a weak player in a world championship. On BBO, where the vast majority of players are intermediates, any advanced, expert and world class players might be considered strong players.
(-: Zel :-)

#47 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-11, 07:14

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-January-08, 17:05, said:

Careful Bill, some of us intermediates might take that personally.

Well that is what "almost all" is for :)

If you are one of the bare few who actually follows the BBO definitions, good for you. But my own routine experience is that you are a vanishingly small minority in the "intermediate" self-rank.

View Poststeve2005, on 2016-January-08, 21:04, said:

It's data is over 2 years old, is useless.

I was talking about the self ratings, not bboskill.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#48 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-23, 13:29

Those who were frightened of BBO Skill will be content, the domain name expired on 4/12/2018 and is pending renewal or deletion.

#49 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-April-23, 16:50

View Postpescetom, on 2018-April-23, 13:29, said:

Those who were frightened of BBO Skill will be content, the domain name expired on 4/12/2018 and is pending renewal or deletion.

oooh let's start a Gofundme and develop a little java app that looks like a Magic 8 Ball and 'returns' skill level to the user.like here
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#50 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-24, 00:19

For those who seemed to enjoy beating up on BBOSkill.com, there's always

http://www.colorados...PR_FILES/PR.HTM

for those in ACBL territory for people to work out their hostility. And there are always the masterpoint/rating systems of the various national bridge organizations that need a few more haters.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users