• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-26, 11:52

What would 2N have shown instead of 2?

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-26, 12:33

It ought to show 9 HCP, 3- sp, 3- hearts. Since 1nt-2nt is artificial, it has to go through stayman to invite. 2 on this sequence should show 4 cd spades, 3-H.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-December-26, 16:00

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-December-26, 12:33, said:

It ought to show 9 HCP, 3- sp, 3- hearts. Since 1nt-2nt is artificial, it has to go through stayman to invite. 2 on this sequence should show 4 cd spades, 3-H.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. The description of 2 should include that / info.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-26, 18:15

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-December-26, 12:33, said:

I would think it seems your explanation is inappropriate.
1NT - 2 - 2 - 2nt=8-9hcp invitation,doesn't deny 1 or 2 4-card major.
1NT - 2 - 2 -2= 8-9hcp invitation with 4-card in the balanced hand. Here it has nothing to do with 3- what you said .
1NT - 2 - 2 - 2NT= 8-9 balance invitation,it has nothing to do with major count.

#5 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-26, 18:24

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-December-26, 16:00, said:

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. The description of 2 should include that / info.

As a normal basic 2/1system, the description of as a basic natural bid have included 4-card with balance invitation,never include count ( of course,2-card+ at least.),otherwise 2 should a artificial bid.

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-26, 19:53

View Postlycier, on 2015-December-26, 18:15, said:

I would think it seems your explanation is inappropriate.
1NT - 2 - 2 - 2nt=8-9hcp invitation,doesn't deny 1 or 2 4-card major.

Agree.

1NT - 2 - 2 -2= 8-9hcp invitation with 4-card in the balanced hand. Here it has nothing to do with 3- what you said .

2 is supposed to deny 4 hearts, as with 4 hearts, one simply raises to 3. So 3- H should be something in the code as known for the robots.

1NT - 2 - 2 - 2NT= 8-9 balance invitation,it has nothing to do with major count.

Sure it does. You deny 4 hearts since you didn't raise hearts. You deny 4 spades because you didn't bid 2. If you don't deny majors, then opener with a minimum and 4cd spades is in a bit of a quandary of what to do. If he passes, you have might have missed a better partial in spades. If he bids, he may find you without spades and in 3nt somewhat overbid.

This is how it is normally done when 1nt-2nt is artificial. If 1nt-2nt were natural, and 1nt-2c-2h-2nt guaranteed 4 spades, then opener with a min and spades can bid 3, and can bid 4 with a max and 4. But if 2 doesn't guarantee a major, then 2nt over 2 better deny one.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-December-27, 02:41

It is not unplayable for 1N-2C-2H-2S to be non-committal as to Heart length, preparing to support Hearts next round when holding 4. If opener passes 2S then he has a minimum with 4 Spades, would have passed a 3H raise, and you end up a level lower which will gain on occasion when 8 tricks (or fewer) are the limit.

It could lose if opener is allowed to pass with 3 card Spade suit, or if knowledge of responder's Spade suit (in a Heart contract) aids with the opening lead.

But it could also gain in finding a thin Heart game if opener "signs off" in 2N, hears 3H from partner, and opener re-evaluates.

On balance I doubt that there is much in it. My guess is that an immediate raise of Hearts is both standard and the way that GIB behaves (and hence 2S denies a 4th Heart), but of all of the theoretical factors I think that the prospect of playing in 2S instead of 3H is the most powerful and tips it in my view in favour of the non-standard treatment.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users