BBO Discussion Forums: Tournament for beginners? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Tournament for beginners?

#1 User is offline   sheriffha 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-23, 13:56

Hello,
New BBO member and beginner at bridge, as it says on my status.
So far I've played many tournaments, but often disappointing my partner, which is unpleasant for both of us..
Apart from the "relaxed" section, what "pairs" tournaments should beginners look for?

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-23, 14:10

Maybe the BBF indy!
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-23, 14:24

At this stage your best bet is to join the BIL club. There is an entry fee (I have no idea how much, but not a prince's ransom I am sure). Then look for events that they run.

I am afraid that if you are only willing to play in free tournaments, you will have an uphill struggle finding a regular event that will suit you and your partner.At least having paid your sub to the BIL club, I think that most or at least some of the tournaments they run are free.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   oops sry p 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-December-24, 09:31

sheriffha, on 2015-December-23, 13:56, said:

Hello,
New BBO member and beginner at bridge, as it says on my status.
So far I've played many tournaments, but often disappointing my partner, which is unpleasant for both of us..
Apart from the "relaxed" section, what "pairs" tournaments should beginners look for?

Thanks!

The Beginner Intermediate Lounge is a good place to start. You can find events in the BILies Retreat on BBO (List all clubs, Public/Private Clubs/ Public Clubs/ BIL Manager (BILies Retreat). There is no charge for playing here and there are lots of opportunities throughout the week. Go to this website for more information www.bilbridge.com . There is a fee only if you wish to have access the the library or any of the special membership perks (well worth it I can assure you) - but there is also a FREE trial membership so check that out first.

To see the free weekly events go to www.bilbridge.com and click on "About BIL" - then on "Events Calendar" on the menu. Lots of things to do (though during the holiday season things are slow).

The BIL is also having a 3 day continuous marathon starting on Dec 31 - running to Jan 2. You can pop in a play a few hands or just kib. If you want more information contact me.

Bridge is soon cool!!!!!!

Babs

To add: another of my favourite sites is Pete and Laura Holland's bridgevid.com which has an amazing number of videos to watch and learn from. Pete does live broadcasts on Twitch a few times a week and then uploads the sessions on his site. Fantastic teacher and he and Laura have put a lot of work into their site. Again, to access the special features there is a small monthly fee, but there is also a free trial membership plus lots of free stuff.

This post has been edited by oops sry p: 2015-December-24, 09:57

#5 User is offline   sheriffha 

• Pip

Posted 2015-December-24, 15:30

I just found out how to get to all the "clubs" on the androud app.
Thanks!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users