Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO lock-up

#1 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-19, 13:56

Hi, I know this is a perennial problem and probably already reported many times: BBO locking up often in the middle of a hand. If it's another player I see the message "XXX has lost connectivity..." and all we can do is wait or get someone else on table. But if it's me, I don't realise anything until I get the message from Chrome saying 'page no longer responsive' or something. I'm sitting there waiting for another player to bid or play, not realising that it's me with the problem!

Earlier today this happened twice to another player and once to me, in quick succession.

So I'm asking, is there anything - anything - I can do to reduce the risk of this happening? I'm using a desktop, with Win XP and Chrome. I don't run any other apps while on BBO, and I can categorically state there's no problem with the internet at my end.

It's just - it's really annoying when it happens in the middle of an interesting deal...

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-19, 14:44

If Chrome is saying that the page is not responding, it sounds like a problem on your computer, maybe a bad Chrome extension, or possibly malware. Try disabling your extensions and see if that helps. A problem on the server, or with communication between your computer and the server, probably wouldn't produce that error.

#3 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-19, 15:52

I'll try running BBO with firefox for the next few sessions, see if that makes any difference, then maybe IE - or perhaps on another computer: but I'm not convinced it's my end. If so, why are so many other players getting the same problem?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-December-21, 10:39

oryctolagi, on 2015-December-19, 15:52, said:

If so, why are so many other players getting the same problem?

Who are all the other players having the same problem?

We get complaints of disconnections, but I haven't heard many complaints about lockups like yours.

Another possible source of the problem could be bad code in an ad. If it happens again, send information about the ad to support@bridgebase.com.

#5 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-21, 15:08

I thought that what I was getting was the same as what others have reported.

But no matter, please bear with me. I'll stick with Chrome and wait to see if it happens again, then I'll try to grab as much info as I can and send it off to support@...

Thanks.

#6 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 17:35

I got another instance today, for which I have passed on the details to support@ , as suggested.

I just noticed that, although I only got as far as making a single opening bid on the hand before I got locked-out, the eventual outcome of the deal, after another player took my place, appears on my hand records, along with a score of -4.7 IMPs. OK, I know that many people don't bother to track their IMP averages - but I do: and this one has nearly put me 'in the red'.

That's not really fair, is it?

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-20, 11:58

oryctolagi, on 2016-January-19, 17:35, said:

I got another instance today, for which I have passed on the details to support@ , as suggested.

I just noticed that, although I only got as far as making a single opening bid on the hand before I got locked-out, the eventual outcome of the deal, after another player took my place, appears on my hand records, along with a score of -4.7 IMPs. OK, I know that many people don't bother to track their IMP averages - but I do: and this one has nearly put me 'in the red'.

That's not really fair, is it?

Results are assigned to the player who was sitting when the auction ended. That's so that if you bid to a bad contract and leave, the player who's stuck finishing the hand for you doesn't get saddled with the bad result. That wouldn't be fair, either, would it?

#8 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 14:33

Granted. But I make a point of not leaving the table in the middle of a hand if I can help it - neither during bidding nor during play. Not even if I've made a total ****-up of the bidding or play. Common courtesy, as I see it. The only time I've done that was when other players were being obstreperous or insulting. That's only happened once or twice, in the time I've been playing on BBO. On this occasion BBO simply locked up on me.

Anyway the auction wasn't yet completed when I got locked out: I was dealer and opened a minimum 1, it went 1(pass)2(2)all pass. I must have been locked out just after passing opponent's 2 but I never saw my partner's pass, so the auction hadn't quite ended. But a perfectly innocent auction - no 'silly' bids...

Oh well, if BBO really can't distinguish between when a player gets locked out, and when a player voluntarily leaves a table, I suppose it can't be helped.

I've had a suggestion from support@ , to try disabling hardware acceleration in my browser. I'll see if that helps.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-22, 09:27

oryctolagi, on 2016-January-20, 14:33, said:

Oh well, if BBO really can't distinguish between when a player gets locked out, and when a player voluntarily leaves a table, I suppose it can't be helped.

No, we can't. If you disconnect your network cable, it looks like a network problem to us, but it's voluntary on your end.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-22, 09:34

I frequently lose connection while in the train or bus, rarely at home. I think what happens is that if the train goes through a tunnel and loses connection for a few secs, the train's router will sometimes give me a new IP when I reconnect and that my bbo connection in that situation will hang for a while before saying "connection lost". Does that make sense? I use mostly chrome under ubuntu. When using the android app it is my impression that it loses connection fairly quickly without hanging, at least not for prolonged time.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-22, 10:14

helene_t, on 2016-January-22, 09:34, said:

I frequently lose connection while in the train or bus, rarely at home. I think what happens is that if the train goes through a tunnel and loses connection for a few secs, the train's router will sometimes give me a new IP when I reconnect and that my bbo connection in that situation will hang for a while before saying "connection lost". Does that make sense? I use mostly chrome under ubuntu. When using the android app it is my impression that it loses connection fairly quickly without hanging, at least not for prolonged time.

Android and Linux are different in how they notify applications about network changes, so I think that's normal.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users