BBO Discussion Forums: Website for entering, retreiving and quizing system bids - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Website for entering, retreiving and quizing system bids

#1 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-19, 13:25

I created a website for bid systems.

The website can format your system in several different ways, including exports to word, excel and is view able on the web anywhere on any device(I think).

It also includes a quiz to test yourself on the meaning of bids.

If you want to add a new system, you can set it private, limiting who can view it, or make it public.

It is quick and easy to add and edit bids and you can now clone an existing system when creating a new one!

http://systemsbridge...rewebsites.net/

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-December-19, 16:02

That background color is ... uh ... bad.

Also, did BBO Advanced switch to a 16-18 1NT opening when I wasn't looking? It quizzed me on 1-1NT-2NT and accepted "19-20 balanced" as the correct answer.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-21, 13:17

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-December-19, 16:02, said:

That background color is ... uh ... bad.

Also, did BBO Advanced switch to a 16-18 1NT opening when I wasn't looking? It quizzed me on 1-1NT-2NT and accepted "19-20 balanced" as the correct answer.

Sorry about the background color, just to be sure we are seeing the same thing, it is just a lightish blue right?

You can quickly look up any meaning of any bid entered and easily edit them if it is entered wrong(with permission to the system) I fixed the bid in question, at least I fixed it to 18-19 balanced

#4 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-21, 15:46

I see quiz auctions like this:

1N - P - 2 - (2) -

The pass should also be in parentheses.

Also it's not clear to me what the quiz filter is doing - I see the same questions.

Cool idea!

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 07:58

Nice idea

When adding a new bid as a follow on to previous bidding ("create"), it would be a good idea to show previous bidding so far as a reminder of where you are.

On that page, "back to list" gives a 404 error.

#6 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 12:31

View Postjeffford76, on 2015-December-21, 15:46, said:

I see quiz auctions like this:

1N - P - 2 - (2) -

The pass should also be in parentheses.

Also it's not clear to me what the quiz filter is doing - I see the same questions.

Cool idea!

Thanks!

As for the quiz filter, each bid has a 'quiz filter' number. The bid can show up as a valid answer so long as it's quiz filter number is equal to or higher than the filter set for the quiz. As the filter starts at 1, any bid that has a value of 0 can't show up as a correct answer(bids below the quiz filter can show up as an incorrect answer)

Will add some text to explain it.

#7 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 12:31

View PostfromageGB, on 2015-December-22, 07:58, said:

Nice idea

When adding a new bid as a follow on to previous bidding ("create"), it would be a good idea to show previous bidding so far as a reminder of where you are.

On that page, "back to list" gives a 404 error.

Will get these two things fixed, thanks!

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 16:12

I think it would be helpful if "pass" was allowed as a "bid". While often not needed, as pass is an obvious choice, it is sometimes helpful to explain what type of hand will pass, as opposed to bid again. It shows that pass is an option. For example, you may have 2 transfer to hearts, to which the reply is 2, but pass is an option showing a 6 card diamond suit. If you don't show the pass, it may be thought that 2 is obligatory.

#9 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 16:49

You can enter a pass now, just use P as the bid.

#10 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-24, 06:02

Thank you, that does help. No other snags so far.

#11 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-31, 05:03

An idea I think that would be useful is this: when you look at a system, you see a list of available bids, with the bid itself, such as 3, in a "circle". If you click on that circle, it then shows you the subsequent bids that can be made after that. However, if no further bids have been specified - maybe because it is all natural or seat of the pants from there - the click gives you an empty list of bids. Be nice if you could see back on the first list whether there was anything further defined, say by having the circled bid as is with a blue background if there is no follow-on, and the background within that circle as say pale yellow if there were further bids.

If you clicked on a blue circle nothing would happen, unless you were signed in as the author of that system, when of course it would give you the subsequent entry definition screen to add bids.

Helpful to people browsing other systems, because they know where they can delve deeper, and helpful to the author, because one of the problems with creating hundreds of branches is that you lose track of which ones have been completed or just left hanging.

#12 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-31, 12:58

View PostfromageGB, on 2015-December-31, 05:03, said:

An idea I think that would be useful is this: when you look at a system, you see a list of available bids, with the bid itself, such as 3, in a "circle". If you click on that circle, it then shows you the subsequent bids that can be made after that. However, if no further bids have been specified - maybe because it is all natural or seat of the pants from there - the click gives you an empty list of bids. Be nice if you could see back on the first list whether there was anything further defined, say by having the circled bid as is with a blue background if there is no follow-on, and the background within that circle as say pale yellow if there were further bids.

If you clicked on a blue circle nothing would happen, unless you were signed in as the author of that system, when of course it would give you the subsequent entry definition screen to add bids.

Helpful to people browsing other systems, because they know where they can delve deeper, and helpful to the author, because one of the problems with creating hundreds of branches is that you lose track of which ones have been completed or just left hanging.

Changing the background color if there are no further bids is an easy change, will try to get it out this afternoon, thanks for the suggestion!

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-01, 08:34

I think you would do well to include a function for inputting a system using a text file, ideally something like FD format. This would not only make it simpler for users to enter their systems but also allow you to increase the number of pre-loaded systems quickly and easily.

Another feature that is usual for database sites of this type is the ability for the user to make their system public or for it to remain private.

You should also consider adding a key to the bid entry system. It is not at all clear on first use that competitive bidding is allowed, for example, and some foreign-language users might find the notation confusing (1c is 1 in German, for example).

Another useful feature would be the ability to copy areas of the system and paste them elsewhere, for example if you play ITD it would be nice to be able to copy the response structure after a pass and paste it to the double sequence, then make the necessary edits.

Finally, having the website give an output file would also be an excellent ability. Ideally a choice of FD or MS Office format as these are most likely to be useful and usable for users.

And finally-finally, good luck with the site!
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-01, 09:31

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-January-01, 08:34, said:

.. suggestions ..

Wow, I don't know the programming languages and tools employed - I never got beyond html - but these are probably daunting tasks to someone just starting on website development. I had suggested linking an existing bid (and follow-on levels) by reference to the bid code number, to avoid entering the same data, but copy and paste is possibly better as it avoids potentially broken links later.

What would be really nice is to be able to copy and paste with the ability to actually change the bids but keeping the same structure. Very useful for something where you have the same step methods but at a different starting bid. I can't see how you'd do that, though.

Anyway, I look forward to learning about relay methods from the "Z club".

#15 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-06, 19:32

Updated the website with the ability to make systems private and limit added users to only be able to view the system(unnecessary if the system isn't private)

#16 User is offline   jgillispie 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Women
    Food
    Balloons
    Birding
    Magic
    Math/Sciences

Posted 2016-July-09, 15:48

Nice website
(No comment)

#17 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-13, 01:11

Added a new view that lets you see the system in depth, in a printable fashion with variable depth and the ability to filter to specific bids, still a work in progress and it is kinda slow at higher depths.
Small snippet of an example
1♣: 16+ any Shape, 17+ Balanced
   1♦: 0-8, any shape
      1♥: 4+ Hearts, may have longer Minor, Forcing
         1♠: 0-8 Points 4+ Spades 
         1N: 0-5 points, less than 4 hearts, less than 4 spades
         2♣: 5-8, 0-2 Hearts, not 5 spades
         2♦: 5-8, 3 Hearts
         2♥: 0-5 4+ hearts
         2♠: 5+ spade, 5-8 hcp
         2N: 4+ hearts, 4-6 points, no singleton
         3♣: 7-8 HCP, 6+ Clubs
         3♦: 7-8 HCP, 6+ Diamonds
         3♥: 7-8 HCP, 4 Hearts
         3♠: 7-8 HCP, spade Splinter, 4 hearts
         3N: 7-8 HCP, 5+ Hearts
         4♣: 7-8 HCP, Club Splinter, 4 Hearts
         4♦: 7-8 HCP, Diamond Splinter, 4 Hearts
         4♥: 0-4 HCP, 5 Hearts
      1♠: 4+ Spades, may have longer Minor, Forcing
         1N: 0-5, less than 4 spades
         2♣: 5-8, 0-2 spades, less than 5 hearts
         2♦: 5-8, 3 spades
         2N: 5-8, 4+ spades, no singleton
      1N: 17-19 Balanced
         2♣: Stayman
         2♦: 5+ Hearts, transfer
         2♥: 5+ Spades, Transfer
         4♦: 6+ Hearts, Texas Transfer
         4♥: 6+ Spades, Texas Transfer

#18 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 13:03

Updated: Added new color schemes and export to word and excel buttons!

Cheers,

#19 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-16, 16:33

Love the way the website has evolved. I am entering notes for my own Unbalanced Precision system. I'm keeping it private for now, but will make it public when my notes are a bit further along. The name of the systems refers both to design philosophy (quickly distinguish opener's balanced vs, unbalanced shape--in the case of the limited openings, with the opening bid itself) and (perhaps more importantly) the designer's metal state....

#20 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-17, 23:30

Got every opening thru 5, responses to 1 and openers rebids in 1-1 sequences. Much more to come. System notes are now public.The export to Word feature works well, though the .doc file has some header information that I don't need opening it with Open Office (Word itself might need this info, I don't own a copy and can't check).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users