Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chat filter

#1 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-14, 03:27

Would it be possible to arrange it so that, when playing at a table, chat messages tagged "->club" or "->lobby" can be filtered out, leaving only the chat messages "->table" (and private messages) shown?

Many table hosts persistently canvas for players to make up an open table, but this is hardly relevant when one is already playing (unless one has a habit of jumping ship, which I don't...).

I like to follow the chat at the table, and I find these inappropriate intrusions annoying.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-14, 09:35

In "Options" there's a "Show lobby chat" checkbox that you can uncheck to get rid of the "->Lobby" messages.

However, there's no option to get rid of club chat. Is there lots of irrelevant club chat, so it would be important to be able to filter it out?

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-14, 09:55

View Postbarmar, on 2015-December-14, 09:35, said:

there's no option to get rid of club chat. Is there lots of irrelevant club chat, so it would be important to be able to filter it out?
I second the OP. Certainly would be nice to auto-activate the filter when sitting at a table, but then deactivate it when in the club gallery.

That said, while it would be nice, "important" is in the eye of the beholder. Have lived with it so far. Will probably continue to do so. There are certainly *more* important things to be done, in my view.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-December-14, 10:01

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-December-14, 09:55, said:

There are certainly *more* important things to be done, in my view.

Yeah I mean I'm annoyed just thinking about this thread having received a response whereas multiple threads I've started in this forum haven't even got that.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-December-14, 19:02

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-December-14, 10:01, said:

Yeah I mean I'm annoyed just thinking about this thread having received a response whereas multiple threads I've started in this forum haven't even got that.

If you haven't gotten a reply, it just means there's nothing to discuss about your suggestion, it doesn't necessarily mean we think it's a bad idea. We just add it to our list silently.

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-15, 04:59

View Postbarmar, on 2015-December-14, 19:02, said:

If you haven't gotten a reply, it just means there's nothing to discuss about your suggestion, it doesn't necessarily mean we think it's a bad idea. We just add it to our list silently.

Sorry, I refuse to believe that. If there was nothing to discuss in these threads:
http://www.bridgebas...-notifications/
http://www.bridgebas...onfigurability/
Then why did this one suddenly get a (partial, unsatisfactory) reply?
http://www.bridgebas...-sound-choices/
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-15, 07:05

Michael I am sure there are more posts complaining about the card noise then the ones you listed above. Not being able to switch it off without turning sound off completely does not make it much better as you then miss the important infos. I cant remember that anyone was supporting that "card-play-noise".

I guess BBO is quite busy with a lot of things and sometimes they do really good stuff like the categories and sometimes they focus on the wrong ones like compatibility. I am sure when users were asked they might get a much better list of topics to improve.

Concerning the lobby chat I think it should work that you will get none when you are playing. Mostly I have it disabled. Concerning the club messages, yes it is annoying when your club manager(s) are sending a lot of messages as some do. Most of them dont. But I can live with as I could always set the sender on "ignore" as far as I know.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-December-15, 07:40

Heh, it has been a while since the last upgrade, whether to GIB, to the main Web interface or to the mobile interface, so I am expecting great things when the next one comes out :)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#9 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-15, 17:50

I didn't realise so many other people had posted in the past about this playing card sound issue. It's so so annoying. This is me putting in another plea for an option to be added to remove it. It sounds absolutely nothing like playing cards. Even worse is that when you are going through Bridgemaster solutions you can't even disable it if your BBO sound is disabled!!

It pains me to hark back to the good old days of full configurability on the Windows client. :angry:
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#10 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-14, 11:52

I never got a proper reply to this request, the thread merely drifted off-topic. So I'm re-stating it:

Please could we have an option to turn off the chat "->Club" when we are playing at a table.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-14, 12:11

View Postoryctolagi, on 2016-January-14, 11:52, said:

I never got a proper reply to this request, the thread merely drifted off-topic. So I'm re-stating it:

Please be assured that the people responsible for prioritizing development work note suggestions posted here, but we don't usually say anything about whether or when we'll implement them.

#12 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-15, 09:27

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-14, 12:11, said:

Please be assured that the people responsible for prioritizing development work note suggestions posted here, but we don't usually say anything about whether or when we'll implement them.

Thanks. Is there a way for us to view rulings on requests, and the priority list for those accepted? It would be most helpful, and avoid duplicate requests in this forum.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-15, 09:33

No, there isn't. Sorry.

#14 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-15, 14:52

View Postoryctolagi, on 2016-January-15, 09:27, said:

Thanks. Is there a way for us to view rulings on requests, and the priority list for those accepted? It would be most helpful, and avoid duplicate requests in this forum.

Obviously they want to wait and see whether something gets requested at least once a year over a 5 year period before accepting that people really want a feature.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#15 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-16, 05:41

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-15, 09:33, said:

No, there isn't. Sorry.

OK. I appreciate your candour, and that what I am asking may be beyond your power; but really, it is a bit disappointing.

I want to make it quite clear that I think BBO is a really excellent site. But it could do more to attract and keep its users. A bit of openness about how the owners and admins of the site, and those charged with its maintenance, respond to feedback, would be really welcome! Please pass this on to the site owners as you see fit.

By way of comparison, I draw your attention to a well-known and popular music composition site which I use, called Noteflight. You may already know it, but if you don't, take a look (you may need to register to get well into the site, but it's free). See in particular how the owners acknowledge feedback requests from users, publish decisions on those requests, and prioritise their TO DO list.

I'm not asking much!

#16 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-January-16, 07:21

Complacency could be a precursor to oblivion, but it should be observed that BBO is not exactly a new site awash with experimental policies, and yet for all its apparent shortcomings it doesn't do badly in terms of popular retention.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users