BBO Discussion Forums: Double then Cue Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Double then Cue Bid How best to use it.

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2015-December-03, 04:44

I have come across two different recommendations for the 'double then cuebid' sequence:
One suggests using "Double" then "cue bid" then "suit" to show a 21+ hand with a good 6+ suit, asking partner to bid game in all but the weakest hands. For example:

Another source suggests using it with a 19+ hand with a long minor and without a stop in the overcall suit, asking partner to bid No Trumps with a good stop:
For example:

Not sure if I have given good examples here, but I would have thought the second situation is likely to come up more often. Maybe we could combine the two and ask responder to prioritise responding 2NT with a good stop even though that might not be what partner is concerned about.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-03, 05:11

Double then cue bid tends to simply be a very powerful hand with no better way to describe it. Here are a couple of hands you may do it on. Good hands with a good 6+ card suit can double and jump rebid if too strong for a simple double+bid.

edit: fixed dealer on second hand
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2015-December-03, 05:36

Thanks. That deals with my first idea - double then jump. But what about the second idea, asking for a stop?:

If I don't cue bid what other way is there for checking if partner has a spade stop if game in the minor is not on but possible in No Trumps. I quite liked the "Yes" idea of a response of 2NT when weak (0-4) with a stop and 3NT if a bit stronger. Is there another way?

You meant your second example to show West's hand. :)

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-03, 06:40

View PostLiversidge, on 2015-December-03, 05:36, said:

Thanks. That deals with my first idea - double then jump. But what about the second idea, asking for a stop?:

If I don't cue bid what other way is there for checking if partner has a spade stop if game in the minor is not on but possible in No Trumps. I quite liked the "Yes" idea of a response of 2NT when weak (0-4) with a stop and 3NT if a bit stronger. Is there another way?

You meant your second example to show West's hand. :)

Well, with a hand that only cares about a stopper, you can jump cue immediately (1M)-3M, but you may want to discuss it if over a minor. If you need to know a bit about strength too, then you can double and cue bid like my first example. On the hands in this post, I would just bid 2D to show around 18-21 with 5+ diamonds.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-03, 09:25

As manadude pointed out, the double then cuebid sequence is more of a 'catchall' for any strong hand without direction rather than showing a specific hand. Both of the hands in your initial post wouldn't qualify for me because, I would prefer to double and then just bid my suit naturally.

The precise range of the cuebid advance varies a lot based on the context and level of the auction.

For example in an auction like:

(1C) X (P) 1H

Where the 1H bid is wide ranging (0-10 HCP), it is normal to raise to 2H on any full strength t/o double with decent shape and 4H (perhaps 12-14 HCP).

As a result the 2C cuebid doesn't need to be as strong, I'd play it as roughly 15+ HCP.

#6 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-04, 12:27

While I do not think your examples are "good," your question is a fair one.

I think I will risk sounding extreme by offering the opinion that no strong player would judge the first method you describe as being playable. It wastes a lot of time and assumes the opponents will meekly pass, giving you plenty of opportunity to get your message across. Why not simply jump rebid 3H after the double (without the cue bid) to get this message across?

The second meaning you describe might be playable, although the example hand you gave would not fit the bill for the action. Partner needs nothing to bid 2C. You have a clear 2D rebid, showing a very good hand (e.g., 17+ HCP or so) with long diamonds.

With another hand, one that would justify taking a chance on forcing to the 9 trick level - e.g., xxx, Ax, AKQJxxx, x - the standard bid is an immediate jump cue bid of 3S. This jump cue bid to the 3 level shows approximately 8 tricks (usually based on a long solid suit) and asks partner to bid 3NT with a stopper.

The cue bid after partner has responded to your double is used for hands that have a fit for partner's suit and need to force partner to bid without taking the possibility of playing in 3NT from the picture.

#7 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-05, 04:20

Here is an example hand from the first session of the blue ribbon pairs (board 25) this nationals. I'll rotate the hand so the big hand is South. North South are vulnerable against not and west deals and opens 1 heart, and two passes follow. Your hand is:
K642 Q6 AKQ2 AKQ

(1H) - P - (P) - X

You have 23 hcp, 4 spades, so double was clear. Lho passes, partner bids 2 clubs, rho passes.

(P) - 2C - (P) - 2H

You have a monster so double and cue is right. Some might introduce artificiality here, and suggest partner should often bid 2S with a bust, but I'm not sure that is standard without discussion, so I, as your partner, bid 3C (opps silent).

(P) - 3C - (P) - 3H

Now it sure sounds like partner has a lot of clubs, but 5C might lose two hearts and one or more spades, so 3nt sounds good, if only you can avoid opponent's running hearts, so now when you cue again, you sound like you are wanting partner to bid nt with a heart stopper. Now partner bids 3S. Since partner didn't bid spades the first or second time this is likely not a real suit. Likely partner doesn't have a sure heart stop and isn't sure what to do.

(P) - 3S - (P) - 3nt

Now you can try 3nt. Your partner should know you don't have nt well stopped (you would have bid 3nt over 3C), but also you shouldn't have nothing in hearts (because you know partner doesn't have hearts stopped on their own or they would have bid 3nt over 3H).

Partner passes your 3nt. Can you guess their hand from the auction (at least their likely hearts)?

Partner had:
75 J87 J3 JT8432

So the Qx and Jxx is enough to stop hearts, and there are 6 club tricks and 4 diamond tricks (assuming you can untangle them).

The west opening bidder had:
A98 AK9532 875 5

Their partner had:
QJT3 T4 T964 976

If your partner (the weak hand) declares 3nt then the spade sequence lead sets you. But when the strong hand declares it is cold (but a bit challenging on the unlikely diamond lead).

3nt making gets you 95+% of the Matchpoints (depending on if you make 9, 10, or 11 tricks). When I played this our auction was the same up through 3S, but partner then bid 4C. Our opponents cashed their 3 top quick tricks and we scored +130 for 31% (most pairs were in 3C or 4C but scored 11 tricks for +150 and 66%).

#8 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-05, 13:54

Deleting. This post is not appropriate for this forum.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users