• 2 Pages +

rude ignorant bridge players

#21 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-December-27, 09:32

I've had some super exciting games in the petroff and also won against someone 500 points above me in the 4 Qe2 line as black. But yes it can be a bit boring.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#22 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2016-January-10, 12:14

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-November-29, 05:02, said:

I don't think that there is any way to know for sure, but I suspect that there is ................an inverse correlation between inflated self-ratings and length of penis.

Where is the evidence? Do you have special inside information from sex workers? Promiscuous gay men? Doctors or nurses? Or are you a team sportsman with "shower" experience or perhaps an academic researcher doing a special study to confirm or otherwise this widely held view?
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#23 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-10, 13:37

Blimey, you on something?

First off, I have never claimed that the view is widely held.

Second off, I explained that it was a mere suspicion (and a joke at that, albeit in poor taste), and evidence is not necessary for a suspicion.

I also have a suspicion, a related one but equally nothing more than that, and again absent evidence that would be regarded as objective, that the propensity to overstate self ratings is predominantly the domain of the male membership. Given that BBO is fundamentally anonymous, it is entirely possible to disguise your gender when playing on BBO. I am sure that it happens, but I doubt that it is as widespread as the apparent self-rating inflation problem. That raises the question: if I am correct (and I may not be, as I say it is only a suspicion), then what could be the cause? One cause could be a general feeling of inadequacy in real life, measured against the social norms, or a desire to dominate, which tends to be the preserve of the male. An individual who is well balanced in his (or her) own psyche might lack the motivation to compensate. The "penis" is metaphorical.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#24 User is offline   myfish 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-10, 23:00

BBO is a great platform, I am a member for 10 years and still keen on using it or hosting team match for different training purpose.

When I get the chance, I usually will introduce the software to the people who know bridge[and ask them play with those they know].

The problem for the main lobby however is that, when you sit down and play some hands, opponents with different level just start playing, then one of them may do something strange or cannot be explained for (actually it can be explained if you treat them as beginner but hey I am not able to teach over 10000 people in BBO). With this in view, the players start to become rude to those beginner and the beginner does not know why they are being rude for. If you continue to play, it is just waste of time, If you do not, then you keep changing table all the time.

Well, playing with people I know is the only solution, but it also means that most good players will not play in main lobby.

I have some suggestions:

1. Got a rating system [ I know , it involves a lot of issue, BBO has the rights and likely is right for not implanted it, that's my personal wish only]

2. When I learnt bridge in yahoo, the standard of the players deviate too. But there is some active groups that have tournament in every day and have rating system inside the group.

If you are new, just play in lobby, if you are experienced enough to look for improvement, join the group.

I know there is some club in BBO, some are well run [like the BIL], but my suggestion focus on how to facilitate the daily conversation on the group members.

so the BBO may try to develop a group function, and the host can include members and have some chat lot [pop window is good] for all group members and for the rest, the host can help develop.

John Tsang

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users