BBO Discussion Forums: A secret of Fantunes which you don't know - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A secret of Fantunes which you don't know

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-28, 06:21

At first,please you look at this hand :

North :Fulvio Fantoni
South:Claudio Nunes
2 = 10-13 value, 5-4M/4+m unbalanced, or 6+ ( notes by Daniel Neill 2012)

Now assume you are South,may I ask you a question?

Do you know what's the exact lead?
Here I believe the most of people may not know it,but of course,I know this secret because I was used to be a fanatic fans of Fantunes.
Yes,I can ! ( just like President Obama said "yes,I can." )Posted Image

It is no great surprise that Fantoni and Nunes employ a special artificial,let's call it as Cuebid Double. Even if you have ever read the book "Fantunes Revealed" by Bill Jacobs (2012) , or may review Fantunes Notes by Daniel Neill (2012),you may not know this secret since they did not record this agreement.
What's the exact meanings of Cuebid Double for Fantunes?
Here sorry,I am only a amateur of the bridge game,I don't have the ability to identify whether they was cheating,I will try my best to tell my understanding:
While the RHO cuebid given own suit,Double=deny lead this suit,but lead higher suit.Pass=imply lead given own suit or lower suit which depend on the bidding sequences with interference.
See this hand in the match at below.

You see that both of and are higher than ,lead trumph ? lol...that is impossible,so only lead !

Once both of Thomassen and Karlberg would know the truth, I'm sure they will cry.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-28, 06:45

I don't know if their double asks for a specific suit, but using it as asking partner NOT to lead diamonds isn't that rare.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-November-28, 07:39

Theyre scum and I wish the wbf would just hurry up and life ban them but I don't see what's interesting on this hand.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-28, 08:13

well it is a bit interesting if the meaning of the double was not disclosed because then the TD should adjust to 5=.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-28, 09:27

We haven't been given any evidence that it wasn't disclosed, except perhaps the fact that they bid the slam. And of course the contract is off on any lead- it doesn't need a spade lead to beat it.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-28, 11:21

The fact that the AQ are probably offside should be pretty obvious from the opening bid. I don't see how lack of disclosure about the double would make the slam a better bid.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-28, 13:06

If EW bid the slam despite having been told that the double asked for a spade lead then W was a bit ... eh ... not sure what diplomatic adjective I can think of.

But if he wasn't told then the board needs to be adjusted because it is possible that he would have elected a cuebid instead, given the right information. And that they would have stopped in 5 then.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2015-November-28, 16:47

Desperately searching for the point of the deal:

Suppose declarer wins the lead of the T in hand, draws just two rounds of trumps (as if he started with seven hearts in hand) on which South follows with the two and the four in some order, and then continues with a small spade from dummy. What is North supposed to think? Would a sane declarer play like that holding JT(x)? If that seems unlikely, North might win with the queen and switch to a club. Then suppose declarer wins in dummy and plays a new spade. If North plays low, which would be the winning play if declarer started with

x
AQJT876
Kxx
Kx,

he will find himself squeezed in the pointed suits a few seconds later.

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-November-29, 05:07

View Postlycier, on 2015-November-28, 06:21, said:

Once both of Thomassen and Karlberg would know the truth, I'm sure they will cry.

I think Thomassen might be embarrassed to remember the hand anyway, given that he forced to slam with a balanced 15 count.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-29, 08:56

I don't care about the result and never care about whether this is cheating , here I honestly say such " Cuebid Double" as a artificial is a really good defensive method which is worth of our learning.
Better an egg today than a hen tommorrow.

isn't it?

#11 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-29, 09:05

For me,the best performance in the world matches are Zia and Fulvio Fantoni in the past ten years.I adore them very much.

#12 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-November-29, 10:52

View Postlycier, on 2015-November-29, 08:56, said:

I don't care about the result and never care about whether this is cheating , here I honestly say such " Cuebid Double" as a artificial is a really good defensive method which is worth of our learning.
Better an egg today than a hen tommorrow.

isn't it?

Yes, I agree it's interesting. When u double definitely an improvement.
When u pass there is ambiguity, but if first lead doesn't work and you get a second chance might be useful.

Ive also heard of 1N-3N type auctions where you double for a specific suit like hearts. so at least you have one suit as a possible lightner type double

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-November-29, 11:32

View Postbarmar, on 2015-November-28, 11:21, said:

The fact that the AQ are probably offside should be pretty obvious from the opening bid. I don't see how lack of disclosure about the double would make the slam a better bid.

Your point seems to be that if you know both hands, then it looks likely that AQ are off-side. This is about 90% correct (are you sure F-N didn't shade their 2-level openings when w/r?) and 1000% irrelevant.

As I wrote above, IMO bidding keycard with West's hand over 4 is just bad bridge - but if West knows double asks for a spade lead, then it is easier to stay low.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#14 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-29, 21:19

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-November-28, 06:45, said:

I don't know if their double asks for a specific suit, but using it as asking partner NOT to lead diamonds isn't that rare.

View Postcherdano, on 2015-November-29, 05:07, said:

I think Thomassen might be embarrassed to remember the hand anyway, given that he forced to slam with a balanced 15 count.

View Postgordontd, on 2015-November-28, 09:27, said:

We haven't been given any evidence that it wasn't disclosed, except perhaps the fact that they bid the slam. And of course the contract is off on any lead- it doesn't need a spade lead to beat it.

View Postbarmar, on 2015-November-28, 11:21, said:

No

I have not remember playing time of this hand including the event,only vaguely remembered that their teammates made 6 due to lead .Maybe I am fault.So I have to say " they will cry" only since I can't find the record of this hand in the other room.
Now I only can confirm this hand playing time is before 2013-04-13.

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-30, 01:09

View Postlycier, on 2015-November-29, 21:19, said:

No

I have not remember playing time of this hand including the event,only vaguely remembered that their teammates made 6 due to lead .Maybe I am fault.So I have to say " they will cry" only since I can't find the record of this hand in the other room.
Now I only can confirm this hand playing time is before 2013-04-13.

Shouting "no" at us without providing any new information is no way to progress a discussion.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users