Is this close? What is best here

#1 User is offline   gerry 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Finite Mathematics, History

Posted 2015-November-24, 15:11

mps.
1 is 4+, pard is unlikely to be 55.
With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others the same may mean for some men to do as they please...with the product of other men's labor.

The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as a liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of of liberty.

-A. Lincoln

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-24, 15:36

At matchpoints I will try 3. Defending 2 when they have a fit is usually a bad score anyway. Doubling this may be difficult, if they do so and beat it then well done. Most likely they will bid 3.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-November-24, 15:57

I'm passing. 3 down 1 doubled may be worse.

Partner will have another bite at the cherry if holding a very distributional red hand. If not, I think LOTT applies. We can't guarantee any more than 7 trumps our way and 8 trumps their way for 15 total tricks. If they're making 2 , then we're probably looking at 3 off 2.

If 2 making is below average c'est la vie.

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 16:43

View Postbillw55, on 2015-November-24, 15:36, said:

At matchpoints I will try 3.

I wouldn't consider 3 ever, but at matchpoints all vulnerable it seems particularly wrong. Both red matchpoints = want to defend. Why do you think they won't find a double if trumps break 4-2? Meanwhile, we have a lot of defense against 2.

The only bid I'd consider is 2NT, and maybe it's right at IMPs. At MPs I'd certainly pass.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 17:06

4c. we have a great hand. we don't need much at all to make game. oh i see 1c is 4+.

obv that makes it a little more tricky. still, i don't want to defend 2s when it's often a 9 card fit. double then i suppose. hopefully we can still scramble into clubs.

#6 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 17:23

I will try double. Pass is not allowed.

#7 User is offline   MRTRUB44 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-November-25, 01:31

Points from bidding - W 13+, N 10, E 13+, S 7+ Total 43+
Most likely, at least some are bidding on distribution. I would pass, and let P bid his suit if he has one strong enough. 2 Spades may make, and clubs or hearts are likely to go down badly if the trumps split badly enough..

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-25, 01:42

View PostMRTRUB44, on 2015-November-25, 01:31, said:

Points from bidding - W 10+, N 10, E 0+, S 10+ Total 30+

FYP. you will often make game here. partner can easily have a 14 or 15 count.

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-November-25, 06:39

This is a situation that might be helped with Runtwich, where partner can bid 1NT inztead of X if he has a three suit takeout with short spades.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-25, 07:20

Tricky problem. Given we could easily not have a fit, prospects aren't great. On the other hand, there's a decent chance this auction won't be duplicated at other tables and defending 2S is unlikely to win many matchpoints, especially if the opponents have promised an 8c fit.

So rather than take a huge position right away I'll start with a responsive double and postpone my problem for another round.

#11 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-25, 07:22

Interesting hand.

If partner is 2=4=4=3 you win by bidding 3C (especially if it implies values - some play 2NT as artificial here). Double could work but is probably responsive, so that's out. 3 has some appeal and I might try it if partner was the forgiving sort, but 3 has a big strike against it - if everyone at the table is serious, partner's heart length will be tapped early (pard's hand will be ruffing spades before mine).

I'll go with 3, hoping partner fields it as natural.

#12 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-25, 10:17

With a 10 count including TWO aces, you simply cannot pass, so the question is what to bid.

Are the opponents playing support redoubles? That is highly relevant.

If you can rely on 2S showing 4 card support, I will bid 3C. Since partner cannot be 5-5 in the red suits, partner must have at least 2 card club support and may have 3. I am ready to whack 3S if they compete.

If the opponents might raise to 2S on 3 card spade support, the inference that partner cannot be short in clubs no longer is valid. So I make a card showing double. I don't know what to do and this is the most flexible call.

#13 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-26, 04:17

It seems to me the only reasonable action is dble and 2N with dble a bid that may well only delay terror if pard bids 3D. However the upside to me is if they bid 3H which i think should be a 5 suit.

Those who suggest bidding 3C, be sure to take a cab home.

#14 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-26, 09:38

I'm bidding 1NT. We have the balance of points and I like my club stop. I can hold up the ace of spades twice and neutralise East (who probably doesn't have much in the way of entries).

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-26, 10:34

View Postbillw55, on 2015-November-24, 15:36, said:

At matchpoints I will try 3. Defending 2 when they have a fit is usually a bad score anyway. Doubling this may be difficult, if they do so and beat it then well done. Most likely they will bid 3.

If we are bidding it seems clear to try 3. Give partner a typical 2=4=4=3 hand to see why this makes sense. Be sure to have taxi fare with you just in case... B-) Pass and double are obviously alternatives with double being the action I would expect most often, particularly given that 1 is real.

View PostTramticket, on 2015-November-26, 09:38, said:

I'm bidding 1NT. We have the balance of points and I like my club stop. I can hold up the ace of spades twice and neutralise East (who probably doesn't have much in the way of entries).

Unfortunately the opps might not be friendly enough to accept this. Did you mean 2NT or misread the auction?
(-: Zel :-)

#16 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-26, 11:15

Do people really play 3C in this sequence as natural?

Seems like a really handy agreement to invent after you're dealt a hand where you want to play in exactly 3C...

#17 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-26, 12:41

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-November-26, 11:15, said:

Do people really play 3C in this sequence as natural?

Seems like a really handy agreement to invent after you're dealt a hand where you want to play in exactly 3C...

it would be bizarre to play it as anything but natural. normally they've not even shown many clubs. there's only any issue because it's 4+.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users