• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Learning Go / Weiqi / Baduk

#1 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-22, 16:41

I want to take a week or two after the Denver nationals to learn Go since my dad has been playing a lot at something like a club level, so for our Christmas gift to him my siblings and I are considering learning the rules of Go so we can play a game or two with him.

Is there something like Fred's LTPB software but for Go? What are the best online resources for someone who does not even know the rules? Is there a standard best beginner Go book that all good players recommend?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-22, 17:20

There's these:

http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
http://www.usgo.org/learn-play

For beginner books, Janice Kim's Learn to Play Go series is reasonably well known.

Danger, you can get drawn in very deeply. But it's worth it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-22, 17:22

View Postbillw55, on 2015-November-22, 17:20, said:

Danger, you can get drawn in very deeply. But it's worth it.

Haha yeah my last friend who got into go ended up quitting bridge. DON'T DO IT CLEE!!!!!!!!!!
The artist formerly known as jlall

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-November-22, 18:54

The way to get good at Go is to lose as many games as you can, i.e. play speedball against the strongest opposition you can find. Thinking hard about your moves as a beginner is much less valuable than just building up a mental database of patterns by actually playing. Also, don't play on the full-size board (19x19) right away, absolutely start with 9x9, as you need a basic grasp of the tactical elements before you can even start thinking about the strategic ones.

You may find useful information here: http://senseis.xmp.n...gesForBeginners

Recommended place to play online: http://www.gokgs.com/
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 08:21

For me KGS only works through the android app. Desktop client (and hence decent screen size) is essentially broken because of java issues. Perhaps you can try OGS, although I don't know how much traffic they get. IGS is still busy, but hardly anybody there speaks english, so you need to know what you are doing first.

Agree that playing fast is better. Be prepared to lose every game for a while, unless you can find another raw beginner to play with. It helps to have a teacher at first, even a low level player just to help with mechanics. Otherwise you will likely have difficulty figuring out when the game is over.

About small boards I agree to an extent. But I think it is fine to play full board as soon as you are able to play out a complete game without help and correctly count the score. Just keep in mind playing quickly. Most players will be happy to play a beginner sometimes, but it can get irritating if they take too long.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 09:43

View Postbillw55, on 2015-November-23, 08:21, said:

About small boards I agree to an extent. But I think it is fine to play full board as soon as you are able to play out a complete game without help and correctly count the score.

That's definitely way, way too early. I have seen such games played by beginners on KGS and I honestly have no clue how on earth that is going to help them get any better at the game.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 09:47

Easy and great way to start is atari go: set up a cross-cut in the middle of a 9x9 board, and play "the first one to capture 1 stone wins". Once this seems boring (it actually isn't!) increase 1 to 2, to 3, to 4, ...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 11:08

View Postcherdano, on 2015-November-23, 09:47, said:

Easy and great way to start is atari go: set up a cross-cut in the middle of a 9x9 board, and play "the first one to capture 1 stone wins". Once this seems boring (it actually isn't!) increase 1 to 2, to 3, to 4, ...

I agree.

I find this interesting. The atari-go method represents a different philosophy about teaching beginners from what I experienced. It puts capturing as the primary mechanic/goal, rather than surrounding territory, which is the way I was first taught. It was only much later that I asked myself: what is territory really? -and realized that it is only an area where you can capture any stone the opponent places. I wonder how different my game would be if I had learned this way.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 17:45

OK, good tips, thanks everyone!

#10 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 01:42

To play many games there is also a free go computer program at igowin (made by a bridge player). The author of this also makes one of the strongest computer go programs (Many Faces of Go, multiple time world computer GO champion). The free versions are a free windows version and also a free tutorial/beginner iOS version. The AI adjusts to your ability, and you can start the 9x9 matches with a 5 stone handicap, and as you learn and win have the handicap shrink. It is relatively easy to understand what an eye is, what a ladder and net is, etc. but once you have some idea of that, try playing games and see what happens. At least that seems reasonable to me, but I have very little go skill myself, so who knows.

#11 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 11:38

On linux I use gnugo, with quarry as the GUI. No tutorial but plays a good game. Its rating is about 7 kyu, say average club regular player level, but "the many faces of go" (not on linux) plays at a higher level.

Nothing beats F2F for learning, though, and with two new starters learning together and attempting to leapfrog each other, it will be quick to get to a basic standard. I used the Ishi press books, which may be available 2nd hand.

I found that play on a 9x9 makes you concentrate too much on captures rather than territory, and territory is key, so I'd say switch to 19x19 as soon as you feel you know what you are doing.

#12 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-January-27, 16:39

Very interesting AI result reported today in Wired: In a Huge Breakthrough, Google’s AI Beats a Top Player at the Game of Go

The DeepMind system, dubbed AlphaGo, matched its artificial wits against Fan Hui, Europe’s reigning Go champion, and the AI system went undefeated in five games witnessed by an editor from the journal Nature and an arbiter representing the British Go Federation. “It was one of the most exciting moments in my career, both as a researcher and as an editor,” the Nature editor, Dr. Tanguy Chouard, said during a conference call with reporters on Tuesday.

This morning, Nature published a paper describing DeepMind’s system, which makes clever use of, among other techniques, an increasingly important AI technology called deep learning.

Was bound to happen sooner or later, but this is definitely on the sooner side.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-28, 01:14

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-January-27, 16:39, said:

Very interesting AI result reported today in Wired: In a Huge Breakthrough, Google’s AI Beats a Top Player at the Game of Go

It is very interesting, but the article does a pretty poor job of providing context as to the skill differences between Fan Hui, Norimoto Yoda and Lee Sedol. (The indiscriminate application of the term "grandmaster", which doesn't exist in Go, certainly doesn't help.)

Also "oh wow, they had the system play against itself, what a mindblowing development" (my paraphrasing) is rather silly - the same thing was done with backgammon programs, what, 20 years ago? I guess the real news is they managed to develop a system that was capable of profiting from playing against itself, because that was of no use whatsoever for the previous Monte Carlo Tree Search algorithms.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-28, 07:12

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-January-27, 16:39, said:

Was bound to happen sooner or later, but this is definitely on the sooner side.

Sigh. So much for saying Go is the last frontier of AI gaming. I feel ... relegated.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-28, 11:56

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-January-28, 01:14, said:

It is very interesting, but the article does a pretty poor job of providing context as to the skill differences between Fan Hui, Norimoto Yoda and Lee Sedol. (The indiscriminate application of the term "grandmaster", which doesn't exist in Go, certainly doesn't help.)

They said that Hui is the reigning European champ, and Sodol holds the second most titles ever and the most in the past decade -- that seems like adequate context to me, and they also provide links to relevant Wikipedia pages. Only Yoda is described with the generic term "grandmaster" and no Wiki. How much more detail do you expect them to go into for a general-interest publication? How would you explain the skills of Meckwell, Hamman, or Zia if you were writing a similar article about bridge?

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-28, 14:46

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-28, 11:56, said:

They said that Hui is the reigning European champ, and Sodol holds the second most titles ever and the most in the past decade -- that seems like adequate context to me,

The missing context is that there are hundreds of Go titles that are harder to win / demonstrate more skill than "European Champion".
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-January-28, 17:11

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-28, 11:56, said:

They said that Hui is the reigning European champ, and Sodol holds the second most titles ever and the most in the past decade -- that seems like adequate context to me, and they also provide links to relevant Wikipedia pages. Only Yoda is described with the generic term "grandmaster" and no Wiki. How much more detail do you expect them to go into for a general-interest publication? How would you explain the skills of Meckwell, Hamman, or Zia if you were writing a similar article about bridge?

You really have a talent of proving other people right while arguing against them. If Fan Hui were to play 50 games against Lee Sodol, I would bet against him winning a single game.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-January-28, 17:39

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-January-28, 14:46, said:

The missing context is that there are hundreds of Go titles that are harder to win / demonstrate more skill than "European Champion".
In the 70s, there was a London Pub, with dozens of Go tables. I was taught by a future European Champion. He took me to an exhibition by a 9-dan Japanese master. My friend challenged his beautiful young daughter. He expected an equal game because he was then 1-dan and the daughter was also 1-dan; but the girl insisted on giving him 4 stones, because she was professional 1-dan. She wiped the floor with him.

Nevertheless, on this performance, AlphaGo is a big step forward in AI.

#19 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-January-28, 19:39

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-January-28, 01:14, said:

Also "oh wow, they had the system play against itself, what a mindblowing development" (my paraphrasing) is rather silly - the same thing was done with backgammon programs, what, 20 years ago?
From 1952-1959, Arthur Samuels programmed a draughts/checkers-program, with an evaluation-function that was improved by playing the program against itself. It kept a book of previously evaluated positions and used mini-max searches. It was rated as a good beginner but (rather like AlphaGo) beat it's programmer and a Connecticut checkers-master

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-29, 10:17

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-January-28, 14:46, said:

Not knowing anything about th Go community, I find this surprising. Is the European field really weak? Or is the European Championship poorly structured, so that it's easier to win by luck rather than pure skill (like the difference between a 4-session bracketed KO and the Spingold or Bermuda Bowl)?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users