• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-22, 02:25

From today's BBO/JEC game:

T1: K 6 8 2
T2: 6 5 A 2
T3: A 3 4 7

Standard leads + UDCA.

Would you have overtaken at trick 1? What does partner's carding under the A show? How do you defend from there?

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-November-22, 12:21

I'll venture the 9.
(Partner should be signalling suit preference if they have the count on the suit - that requires partner to have 6 cards).
What I want is the Q from partner so I can pitch a !D and stop declarer from finessing twice in !S and perhaps deny access to running .

I'm playing declarer for 6=2=2=3 and partner for 1=6=4=2
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-November-22, 13:21

View PostSteveMoe, on 2015-November-22, 12:21, said:

I'll venture the 9.
(Partner should be signalling suit preference if they have the count on the suit - that requires partner to have 6 cards).
What I want is the Q from partner so I can pitch a !D and stop declarer from finessing twice in !S and perhaps deny access to running .

I'm playing declarer for 6=2=2=3 and partner for 1=6=4=2

A third also insures a second trick. If declarer pitches, you can ruff low. If Declarer ruffs with a spot, you can overruff and retain Kx for another trick. If Declarer ruff with an honor, you pitch and K108 should provide a second trick. Clubs will provide an exit if necessary.

I would overtake the A at trick 1, cash A and return 8. If partner held KQ10(...) to start, we haven't lost anything. But even if not, partner should see that playing a third may lead to a trump promotion. Partner is looking at most at a stiff , opener presumably has 6 and dummy has 3. That marks my hand with at least 3 trump. So a promotion is quite likely on how the defense has been conducted.

As the defense has actually been conducted, I would also return a at this point hoping partner holds no more than KQx in the suit. If opener decided to open 2 with AQJxxx and Kx/stiff x, 3 is making at this point.

#4 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 08:23

If you trust your partner...

Partner should have the K. If partner had the Q without the king he/she should have led it at trick two to clarify the situation for you. You can cash the A, cross to partner's K to let partner play the Q so you can shake a diamond and make a trump trick (maybe a second one if partner has a stiff Q).

#5 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 09:52

I do like the idea of partner returning the Q to clarify his holding.
Say he returned it instead of a low club. What now?

#6 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 11:53

If partner returned the Q, I confess I can't see a defense that matters. I might falsecard with the 10 on the first trump, but I'd look mighty silly if partner had the stiff jack instead of the queen (declarer having the K implies declarer's trumps are full of holes).

I'd just cash out at that point, I guess.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 14:24

View Postrmnka447, on 2015-November-22, 13:21, said:

A third also insures a second trick. If declarer pitches, you can ruff low. If Declarer ruffs with a spot, you can overruff and retain Kx for another trick. If Declarer ruff with an honor, you pitch and K108 should provide a second trick. Clubs will provide an exit if necessary.

This assumes that you can predict declarer's action, and also that declarer will not take your play into consideration when making her own choice of play. I doubt that declarer will, for example, underruff.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 15:35

It is not all about signaling -- the fact that you deny the ace when u play the 8 should not deter partner from continuing hearts. What are the particular odds of declarer owning Axx of hearts and deciding it is in their best interest to duck the opening lead (and risk a heart ruff at trick 2) in a suit contract looking at the dia AKQ (I personally rate the odds at close to absolute zero)? So once lho figures out that you own the ace NOW they can try to signal how to defend by signaling with their heart return. Problem solved.

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 15:46

I don't see how the heart card (on our A) can be anything but count. That's what we would need to know when we have three hearts, and if partner has 5 hearts, he won't know whether we have 2 or 3 hearts. Yes when he has 6 hearts he will know we have two, but he won't know that I will know, so...

Regarding the defense now, of course it is possible that partner has A, 5 hearts, and we need to cash the third heart now by putting partner in with a spade. But I do think partner should have continued with a heart at trick two if that is his hand.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 16:23

View Postcherdano, on 2015-November-23, 15:46, said:

I don't see how the heart card (on our A) can be anything but count. That's what we would need to know when we have three hearts, and if partner has 5 hearts, he won't know whether we have 2 or 3 hearts. Yes when he has 6 hearts he will know we have two, but he won't know that I will know, so...

Regarding the defense now, of course it is possible that partner has A, 5 hearts, and we need to cash the third heart now by putting partner in with a spade. But I do think partner should have continued with a heart at trick two if that is his hand.

I would always return a club so I looked up the real hand to see why a club shift was losing, it's pretty epic what the winning play is and why. I think even in a JEC match almost no one would find the winning play :P
The artist formerly known as jlall

#11 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 16:47

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-November-23, 16:23, said:

I would always return a club so I looked up the real hand to see why a club shift was losing, it's pretty epic what the winning play is and why. I think even in a JEC match almost no one would find the winning play :P

I haven't looked up the hand but I'm glad I wasn't only the one baffled by this decision point!
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#12 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 21:32

The real hand
Spoiler

Would you have found it?

#13 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 01:50

View Postantonylee, on 2015-November-23, 21:32, said:

Would you have found it?

I seriously doubt it, but it isn't completely unreasonable. As in, there is logic to it, and cutting off the dummy from a good suit is frequently the sneaky right sort of thing to do. Is that more likely than a club winner needing to be cashed now? Unlikely, partners lead is consistent with Kxx of clubs, and that seems more likely to me.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users