• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-22, 01:13

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-22, 06:35

Given the explanations of 4D and 5D, it looks as if diamonds are trumps. It does make you wonder how to set spades as trumps then unless the 3D bid was an error and you were supposed to bid 2S any time you had 5.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-November-22, 06:55

According to the explanations, at no point in the bidding are you assured of better than a 4-3 Spade fit, while a 5-3 Diamond fit is confirmed. So I agree, it seems to be Diamonds.

Well, of course *you* know that you have an 8 card Spade fit. But partner does not
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-November-22, 10:55

So, what is our suggestion that North should do different? Is it possible that he should bid 3 over 2?

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-22, 15:13

2S to show the 5th spade, can always bid diamonds later.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-23, 03:02

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-November-22, 10:55, said:

So, what is our suggestion that North should do different? Is it possible that he should bid 3 over 2?

Yes,that should a good solution.However I don't know 3 normally shows 3-card suit or 4-card with 5-card on Gib CC?

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-November-24, 16:49

I don't know what Gib plays after a reverse but apparently is not what I learned as standard.
With 5+ responder should bid 2 with any strength barring a hand big enough with 6+ for a jump to 3 or a hand where a slam is likely in one of openers suit.

Then other bids usually have 4 and use some form of Lebensohl to differentiate between forcing and non-forcing hands.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-November-24, 17:05

Strikes me that you lose some of the benefit of the 3S bid in the stated auction if by then you cannot have a Spade fit. Unless you think that finding a delicate 4-3 Spade fit is worthwhile having found an 8 card Diamond fit AND taking the Heart ruffs in the short trump suit with a source of tricks outside.

Furthermore, with primary Diamond support I would not want to risk being unable to show it at a convenient level. If you are forced to bid 2S on any hand with 5+ Spades, you are by no means assured of a 3D bid next time round.

Not claiming to have all the answers, but neither am I convinced that I have seen them yet in this thread.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#9 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-25, 20:13

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-November-22, 06:55, said:

According to the explanations, at no point in the bidding are you assured of better than a 4-3 Spade fit, while a 5-3 Diamond fit is confirmed. So I agree, it seems to be Diamonds.

Well, of course *you* know that you have an 8 card Spade fit. But partner does not

It doesn't know that it holds five spades while bidding it- it GIB North that is supposed shown.

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-25, 23:23

del

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-November-26, 00:46

View Postcloa513, on 2015-November-25, 20:13, said:

It doesn't know that it holds five spades while bidding it- it GIB North that is supposed shown.

It does know that it holds five spades because it is sitting there staring at them.

#12 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-26, 18:33

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-November-26, 00:46, said:

It does know that it holds five spades because it is sitting there staring at them.

Maybe it really doesn't believe that South has 3 spades- I suggest that the bidding explanation isn't the whole truth- it really means 2-3 spades.

#13 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-26, 22:54

View Postcloa513, on 2015-November-26, 18:33, said:

Maybe it really doesn't believe that South has 3 spades- I suggest that the bidding explanation isn't the whole truth- it really means 2-3 spades.

Gib is known to be short of the cards listed in the description. This is why I think a 5-card suit should be shown as a priority.
Now if you have values and 4 trump to an honor support as slam is possible. Supporting on Jxx with 5 is going to get you to wrong contracts.

#14 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-27, 00:01

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-November-26, 22:54, said:

Gib is known to be short of the cards listed in the description. This is why I think a 5-card suit should be shown as a priority.
Now if you have values and 4 trump to an honor support as slam is possible. Supporting on Jxx with 5 is going to get you to wrong contracts.

It has the cards on the description and more.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users