BBO Discussion Forums: Login needed to see hand records in myhands - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Login needed to see hand records in myhands Problem for coaches: hand records now only after Login

#1 User is offline   EWeber 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-November-19, 04:37

Hi,

when I go to the myhands site I now need to Login to see any hand records. In principle this is probably a necessary feature to protect personal data and prevent spying on people, but it makes life difficult for coaches. I am in both roles, beeing coached and coaching some juniors and I wonder if there is a better option than giving my BBO password to my coach(es) / asking BBO passwords from the juniors I am coaching?

Suggestion: Any BBO member could specify who may see his or her hand records:
(a) only me
(b) named BBO nicks
(c ) all friends
(d) all except enemies
(e) everyone

Elke

#2 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-19, 04:43

Hi Elke, you can see hands from other nicks as well. Only those from some robot tourneys are restricted to the player himself.
1) login with your nick
2) change name in search field

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-19, 04:58

I am in favour of keeping to an absolute minimum the restrictions of access to MyHands records, for anyone. It is apparently a necessary evil that we have to restrict access to some robot tourney hands, but please let's not add further restrictions unless there is a stronger case than a personal desire to hide the hands from enemies (who may after all not consider you to be their enemies).In other words, I am OK with the status quo here.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-November-19, 07:51

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-November-19, 04:58, said:

I am in favour of keeping to an absolute minimum the restrictions of access to MyHands records, for anyone.

So that bboskill.com can resume their DoS attacks?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-19, 08:56

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-November-19, 07:51, said:

So that bboskill.com can resume their DoS attacks?

No, you are right. Restrictions that cut down cost to BBO or slow down access to the data are clearly fair. Sloppy, but I had meant to refer to restrictions on information simply because of a desire for privacy.

Incidentally, I am no techie, but I cannot help thinking that if the will were there, bboskill.com might have been granted some sort of low bandwidth access that did not screw it up for the rest of us. Not that I have any faith in their statistical methodology, but that is another issue. I remember when they turned the tap off bboskill that I feared greatly for the future of DDS ability to download hands by the month. Fortunately (for now) that facility remains with us. Perhaps it somehow puts less stress on BBO than bboskill used to.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-19, 10:55

The purpose of the restriction is to prevent cheating in Instant Tournaments. We used to use very old tournaments for these games, but that had the problem that the old tourneys had a different version of GIB. When we changed to using recent tourneys, so the version of GIB would be the same, we had the problem that you could then search for the old tourney in myhands. So we block access to other players' robot tourneys in myhands.

It's not a privacy issue, so giving the option to the users is not a solution.

#7 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-November-19, 12:32

View Postbarmar, on 2015-November-19, 10:55, said:

The purpose of the restriction is to prevent cheating in Instant Tournaments. We used to use very old tournaments for these games, but that had the problem that the old tourneys had a different version of GIB. When we changed to using recent tourneys, so the version of GIB would be the same, we had the problem that you could then search for the old tourney in myhands. So we block access to other players' robot tourneys in myhands.

It's not a privacy issue, so giving the option to the users is not a solution.

Do you mean that BBO is recycling hands?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-19, 13:30

View PostHanoi5, on 2015-November-19, 12:32, said:

Do you mean that BBO is recycling hands?

Only in Instant Robot Tournaments. They have to recycle hands, that's how they work -- you play the hands that were played in an earlier tournament, and you're matchpointed/IMPed against the original players.

#9 User is offline   lorserker 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-09, 15:46

It would be very welcome to have the database of the hand records of all hands played by all players for all time available to download (or send a disk by mail if it's too big to download). I would pay for that.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users