BBO Discussion Forums: No way to show my hand at balanced seat on Gib CC - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No way to show my hand at balanced seat on Gib CC

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-17, 07:03

Result :5N-1

After 1,my 1N only shows 11-14hcp on Gib CC,so I have to make takeout to show my 9+hcp hand.
However,north Gib jump 2 showing 9-15TPs,now I began to face some difficulties.
If I rebid 2nt,that will show 19-21hcp.
If I rebid 3nt,that will show 22-25hcp.

No way to show my hand at balanced seat on Gib CC,how to dealt with this hand?

It is a hand played by basic robot.

This post has been edited by lycier: 2015-November-17, 08:06

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-November-17, 07:57

Totally Gib's fault has 5 and never showed them.. If not going to show spades first should be bidding 4 not 5! This should show 6D5S in a sane system.

Ive seen other people complain you cant show some balancing NT ranges.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-17, 08:10

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-November-17, 07:57, said:

Totally Gib's fault has 5 and never showed them.. If not going to show spades first should be bidding 4 not 5! This should show 6D5S in a sane system.

Ive seen other people complain you cant show some balancing NT ranges.

Note we are dicussing the issue from this hand instead of another.

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-17, 10:52

View Postlycier, on 2015-November-17, 08:10, said:

Note we are dicussing the issue from this hand instead of another.

Then what is there to discuss?? Your comments are correct. As Steve said, others have pointed out the same issue.

I can tell you all one thing. I may disagree with you, I may think you bid like a moron, but I will never try to tell you what you can or can't post. And if you (meaning anyone not Lycier in particular) try to tell me what I can or can't post, you're wasting your time.

#5 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-18, 05:09

View Postlycier, on 2015-November-17, 07:03, said:

Result :5N-1

After 1,my 1N only shows 11-14hcp on Gib CC,so I have to make takeout to show my 9+hcp hand.
However,north Gib jump 2 showing 9-15TPs,now I began to face some difficulties.
If I rebid 2nt,that will show 19-21hcp.
If I rebid 3nt,that will show 22-25hcp.

No way to show my hand at balanced seat on Gib CC,how to dealt with this hand?

It is a hand played by basic robot.

GIB's solution would bid 1 - its done this a few times.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-18, 21:08

Are there any suggestions as to how the bidding structure could/should be tweaked to cover this gap? How about something like, over partner's 2, 3N would be non-forcing 19-21 HCP and 2N would be forcing 15-18 or 22-25? Of course, after the other two bids 22+ seems very unlikely.

#7 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-19, 06:27

Yes,it is a pity that BBO couldn't solve the problem for a long time,don't know the reasons.

#8 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-21, 04:01

Just bid 1. I know you might not like that with only 4, but it's still the best option here. Consider this, if your partner has 5 or more spades it'll likely bid them, and then you have just the right amount for a fit. And if it has 4 or fewer spades, it won't bid them, so you won't miss that fit. And if it has the heart fit, you won't miss that, either. And I wouldn't worry that much about if you miss a minor fit with that hand so it'll likely get you where you want to end up if you first bid 1. And even if you get stuck in a short heart suit, you still have AKQ so you can probably draw out most if not all of the hearts if you need to, too.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-November-21, 05:19

This is not a solution to the OP, to which the answer is simply that the GIB system here is broken, and has been for a very long time despite being well documented as such also for a very long time.

Within the constraints of what we have to live with for now, my recommendation, which you can take or leave, based on personal experience, is to protect with 1NT on anything up to about 16 HCP and lie about the points, praying that partner does not have a 9-10 count. Sometimes he comes up with the 9-10 count, but more often I get into a pickle by choosing another route.

So I would have protected with 1NT on this hand.

I have to say that I don't envy the programmers here. Which may be related to its being such a longstanding problem.
Protecting with a balanced hand after LHO opened 1C is a very different (and somewhat easier to solve) problem than after LHO opens 1S. While not perfect, there really is no better alternative over 1S than to stretch the values for 1N. So the programmers, if they ever try to tackle this, may need to adopt up to 4 different solutions depending on the opening bid. And try explaining that to the multitude after implementation.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-21, 09:02

Personally I would expect 2NT to be 15-17, 3NT to be 20-22 and with stronger hands, go through the cuebid, though the opps have almost certainly psyched if that happens.
Wayne Somerville

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-November-21, 11:01

That approach has some added safety knowing that LHO cannot be stronger.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users