Is this a 50-50 guess? I hate guessing!

#21 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-May-19, 05:29

PhantomSac, on 2015-November-17, 00:37, said:

Yeah if you hadn't shown heart shortness I'd lead the HJ since they might need to cover if our hand was different (5224 with the CK?). At least there is some chance. Anyways I am not sure if this is legit but LHO with H+D length would be more likely to bid with the HK than the CK (eg, x Kxxxx KQJxx xx might michaels or bid 2H, but x xxxxx KQJxx Kx wouldn't?), so I'd probably take the club hook after trying to ruff out Kx of hearts. But yeah it's basically 50-50.
Agree. It costs nothing to lead J intending to play A whether or not LHO covers. And then ruff a in case K is doubleton.

Provided you give opponents time to think at trick one and don't shotgun J at trick two, it's probably safe to finesse when LHO hesitates and then plays low. If the finesse loses after LHO's performance, a good director is likely to protect you.

#22 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-June-07, 18:00

I don't understand the problem. What was the opening lead? Take the club hook after drawing 2 trumps. If it is on, didn't we make this hand? Then take the heart hook if the A is still controlling diamonds. If not, only take the heart hook if the club hook failed.

#23 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-30, 04:47

jogs, on 2016-June-07, 18:00, said:

I don't understand the problem. What was the opening lead? Take the club hook after drawing 2 trumps. If it is on, didn't we make this hand? Then take the heart hook if the A is still controlling diamonds. If not, only take the heart hook if the club hook failed.

K lead, which was irritating, as it means you have no tempos up your sleeve - first failed hook means you're off. So it's a question of any subtle clues as to which hook is the best one to take first...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users