BBO Discussion Forums: All the fans of countrywide were very angry at this hand from Bermuda Bowl - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All the fans of countrywide were very angry at this hand from Bermuda Bowl

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-16, 06:02

After finished hand No.94 in QF,the score is 236 :225.
Here is Hand No.95
Closed Room

Rusult:5WX-6

Open Room for conference

Result:4S+1

BroLucius said: Excellent spade slam, played by South. Very unlucky, of course, with spades 4-0.
Kit Woolsey said: USA can't pick up anything here, so will need a miracle on the last board.

Unfortunately lost 13imps only in the last hand.
The score is 236 :238,and finally N-S lost the game.

Who is fault?
Somebody thought this fault is from east player or west player or coach or bridge association......
Somebody suggested to improve coach selection system,some suggested to improve selection system of nation team.

The air was filled with the smell of anger, disappointment and scold.Why is victory so far away from us?
Just because of faults in one hand,after all,east player was very very difficult to understand why there were so much people appeared torrent of immoderate emotions?

Perhaps,perhaps there are too many factors can affect outcome of match.
Now let's look at the statistics.Match statistics showed that there are 24 match tables in total:

N-S 4 as final contract : 19 tables(79.17%)
N-S 6 as final contract : 4 tables(16.67%)
E-W 5 as final contract: 1 table( 4.17%)
All the fans of countrywide were very angry at this hand .
Some experts said best auction was west player passed 4nt,even got penalty double,west player can redouble ,let east player pick up a trumph suit.

Perhaps,Only the winners can write the history?
Perhaps,Only the winner ever smile, who has ever heard of loser crying?

What's the victory?
Perhaps someone said you get victory,just is others' failure.
What's failure?
Perhaps somebody said who want to answer?

Is the bridge only a game?
Perhaps somebody said No.
Is the bridge for fun ?
Moscow Distrusts Tears for sure.

Now,I am typing here so far,I have no idea.Do you have any idea?

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-16, 06:13

I'm struggling to interpret this post. The only blame I see is East in the closed room who took an insane gamble.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-16, 06:53

The first East appears to have stepped on his dick in heinous fashion, given the state of the match. Not sure what else can be said beyond that, tbh - maybe he was very tired. Not sure where this nonsense about overhauling team / coach selection is coming from - People make mistakes, and more importantly need to be allowed to make mistakes, if you want to build successful teams. Zero tolerance for bad bids doesn't sound like a workable policy for a winning bridge team.

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-November-16, 07:07

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you asking something or expressing an opinion of your own? Can you do a short summary about it? No rhetoric, just your main point. Thanks
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-16, 07:38

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-November-16, 06:13, said:

I'm struggling to interpret this post.

View Postgwnn, on 2015-November-16, 07:07, said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

View Postlycier, on 2015-November-16, 06:02, said:

Now,I am typing here so far,I have no idea.Do you have any idea?

No. Not the slightest clue.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-16, 08:29

BBF really needs an auto-translator for Lovera and lycier posts. I get the feeling they are offering quite productive contributions, but unfortunately nobody can understand the majority of their posts.

East in the closed room was silly, but West shares some of the blame for not bidding 5H rather than 5C, assuming East's initial X had shown a heart suit. Of course, 5HX isn't going to play particularly well either, but at least it's "only" four or five down.

el mister said:

Zero tolerance for bad bids doesn't sound like a workable policy for a winning bridge team.

Quite right.

ahydra

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-16, 08:38

View Postahydra, on 2015-November-16, 08:29, said:

BBF really needs an auto-translator for Lovera and lycier posts.

How about this:

"Here is a hand where a world class player made a very bad bid. A few people may have been upset by this. Also here is some general philosophy."

Anyway, we should welcome contributions from non-English speakers, and make the effort to understand. For example in lycier's previous thread, I understood quite well what he was saying. I just did not agree with it.

-gwnn

#8 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-16, 08:47

This was the penultimate hand in the China-USA2 Bermuda Bowl quarterfinal match this year. China were up 11 going into this hand, with no realistic chance for a big swing on the final one. Results of set are here.

I suspect Lycier is continuing his theme on gambling tendencies in top-level bridge. Unlike the last hand, here I agree with him - I was stunned when BBO showed 4NT and initially assumed a misclick by the operator. Taking action over 4S has merit at this vulnerability, but East had already been able to double 4H to show length and some interest in competing. A second double, allowing partner to pass with a couple of tricks, would have been a much more sensible action if he really felt the need to try a second time (even though it might have led to a worse score here when North redoubles).

However, West also deserves blame for not bidding 5H. Surely East's hearts are longer on the auction.

All in all, a very good effort by China thrown away needlessly at the very end of the match.

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-November-16, 09:33

View Postbillw55, on 2015-November-16, 08:38, said:

Anyway, we should welcome contributions from non-English speakers, and make the effort to understand. For example in lycier's previous thread, I understood quite well what he was saying. I just did not agree with it.

I made an effort there and one here. I understood him just fine there but not here. I didn't mean to sound rude but I just honestly didn't understand his post (I still don't). I also gathered something similar to your interpretation but I thought it might be better if he gave a shorter, more parseable summary instead of me trying to guess.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-16, 10:22

View Postahydra, on 2015-November-16, 08:29, said:

BBF really needs an auto-translator for Lovera and lycier posts.

Unfortunately, there's no Lycier-to-English option at Google Translate.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-November-16, 10:35

View Postbarmar, on 2015-November-16, 10:22, said:

Unfortunately, there's no Lycier-to-English option at Google Translate.

I am pretty sure Lovera uses a translation bot.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-16, 17:10

View Postgwnn, on 2015-November-16, 07:07, said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you asking something or expressing an opinion of your own? Can you do a short summary about it? No rhetoric, just your main point. Thanks

Hi Gwnn :
Beg your pardon for my Chinglish.
I just try my best to describe this matter ,I have no opinion indeed,otherwise I am afaid I will break bbf rule.

It would be better if we discuss the problems at below? I don't know.

1- The competitive world is too cruel,how do you treat it?
A ship can't carry too much cargo, a hand can't carry out too many expectations.This is my opinion

2- After 4nt,how to remedy, reduce the loss?

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-17, 07:06

View Postlycier, on 2015-November-16, 17:10, said:

1- The competitive world is too cruel,how do you treat it?

Even top players make errors from time to time. I would hope that fans, sponsors, and organizers could appreciate that this Chinese team competed equally with one of the top nations in the game, and that this player, like all the players on the team, must have made many positive contributions to reaching this level, and advancing to the knockouts. Always look on the bright side of life!

View Postlycier, on 2015-November-16, 17:10, said:

2- After 4nt,how to remedy, reduce the loss?

As others have said, 5 by west would be a little better, although still a loss of IMPs.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-17, 17:25

View Postbillw55, on 2015-November-17, 07:06, said:

Even top players make errors from time to time. I would hope that fans, sponsors, and organizers could appreciate that this Chinese team competed equally with one of the top nations in the game, and that this player, like all the players on the team, must have made many positive contributions to reaching this level, and advancing to the knockouts. Always look on the bright side of life!

Impartial comment,very good,thanks.

#15 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-17, 18:07

Isn't 5H also 6 down on best defense? 2 diamonds, diamond ruff, 2 clubs, club ruff, 2 hearts to come later. 5C should have been off 7, I assume there is something in the N/S lead system that meant that south couldn't work out the diamond position.
Wayne Somerville

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-November-17, 21:36

Although they resulted in disaster, East's efforts don't seem so bad to me.
RHO has shown a limited hand with long s and LHO has at least a doubleton. Opponents haven't tried for a slam so partner is marked with values. He has shown no interest in your s, so is likely to have at least one 4+ minor e.g.
Q x x x x Q J x x x x K x
Perhaps East's 4N was unilateral and foolhardy but presumably he was tired and reluctant to reign-in the aggressive style that worked well, earlier. He was unlucky here.
East's 4N would normally show a 2-suiter, so there's an argument for West to prefer 5 to 5.

#17 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-18, 00:27

Sometime people make mistakes. The Chinese team is inexperienced at the top level, they have made great strides and will be a force sooner rather than later, and they did very well in that BB. But sometimes the pressure and the moment can just get to you. I believe this east just did too much in this moment, and it's unfortunate that an entire country would be "very angry" with him for this, there is no doubt that the dude tried his best and just made a bad choice in the moment. I'm sure he will learn from it, and his country should applaud him and his team for doing very well in the RR and then almost beating USA in the knockout phase in a very long match. The future for China is very bright in bridge.

And even though I think easts bid is very bad, he did buy unbelievably badly and his bid could have worked out.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#18 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-18, 05:28

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-November-18, 00:27, said:

And even though I think easts bid is very bad, he did buy unbelievably badly and his bid could have worked out.

I agree with this, 4N is not close to a no-win type bid. Its very aggressive (over agressive - to be clear), especially considering the state of the match, but he could easily have bought xxxx x QJxxxx xx and been getting imps in the in column. Even xxx Kx Axxxxx xx is not totally out of the question, and you might make sometimes on 2-1 trumps and a spade lead.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#19 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-19, 07:59

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-November-18, 00:27, said:

Sometime people make mistakes. The Chinese team is inexperienced at the top level, they have made great strides and will be a force sooner rather than later, and they did very well in that BB. But sometimes the pressure and the moment can just get to you. I believe this east just did too much in this moment, and it's unfortunate that an entire country would be "very angry" with him for this, there is no doubt that the dude tried his best and just made a bad choice in the moment. I'm sure he will learn from it, and his country should applaud him and his team for doing very well in the RR and then almost beating USA in the knockout phase in a very long match. The future for China is very bright in bridge.

First,I would appreciate you for your kind reply.

Second,east player is excellent in my heart for ever.

I remembered Canada expert Eric Kokish came to China in the 1990's last century,we didn't get the fundamental better,so far there are 95% players who play precision system,especially mainly play CC.Wei precision,and what's more,more and more people are playing that,but 2/1 players are not much.
I can't say specific reasons clearly, I only know that people usually regard CC.Wei as the pride of our nation,and Blood is thicker than water,so everyone plays that.
According to this logic thought,Fred is a Canadian,so BBO should be regarded as the pride of Canada,isn't it?
Eric Kokish came to Indonesia in the late 1990's last century,there has been some fundamental changes: over 90% players played precision in the past,nowadays decrease to less than 68%.

The world experts who have a great influence on most of our fans are:
CC.Wei (CC.Wei precision)
Benito Garozzo (blue club)
Marty Bergen
Max Hardy
Mike Lawrence (mainly in Taiwan)
Richard Pavlicek(:mianly in mainland China)
Jianjian Wang
Meckwell
Recent years,a few players like Fantunes,Viking club or picture bidding system (Roth Stone) etc.
As for 2/1 players,there are 95% players who play Lawrence style 2/1 In Taiwan,however on the contrary in mainland China,most of 2/1 players only play Hardy style or Bergen style,some are Richard Pavlicek style 2/1.
The world experts with greatest influence on our fans are CC.Wei and Mikwell for precision,Marty Bergen, Max Hardy and Lawrence for 2/1.

#20 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-19, 09:07

I suspect that the regard of Chinese fans for Fantunes has declined lately.
-gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users