• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Careless or beyond? A contested claim

#21 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-15, 11:16

Cyberyeti, on 2015-November-15, 10:18, said:

The actual effect of telling a good player that he is deemed to play like a moron is that he won't claim again and the game will slow down even further.

Maybe it'll just make him realise he's not as good a player as he thought he was. Not holding my breath though.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#22 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-15, 11:18

aguahombre, on 2015-November-15, 09:00, said:

Sounds like misery loves company; you want us to suffer weighted rulings too, and it seems we will get to do that soon.

I doubt many who actually have experienced them would consider it to be suffering.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-15, 12:42

gordontd, on 2015-November-15, 11:18, said:

I doubt many who actually have experienced them would consider it to be suffering.

True enough. It is a good way to hedge a decision. And those who deserved an actual adjusted score rather than an artificial one will rarely know that they got screwed or they gained.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-16, 03:30

I disagree with the majority here, and would allow the claim. It seems to me that by saying "dummy is high", declarer has implied that he does not intend to win a trick with the K. (Indeed, had the J been out I would rule on the basis that he would still "unblock", and would give the defence two tricks rather than one as a consequence.)

#25 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-16, 03:48

campboy, on 2015-November-16, 03:30, said:

I disagree with the majority here, and would allow the claim. It seems to me that by saying "dummy is high", declarer has implied that he does not intend to win a trick with the K. (Indeed, had the J been out I would rule on the basis that he would still "unblock", and would give the defence two tricks rather than one as a consequence.)

So, if West had a club instead of on of his hearts, you would disallow the claim because one of the tricks had to be won by the king of diamonds, and therefore dummy is not high? The correct procedure with all claims is to give the claimer the worst line that is careless. Here that is not to discard the king of diamonds. If West had a club, it would be worse than careless not to play a diamond before using both entries.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#26 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-16, 04:08

lamford, on 2015-November-16, 03:48, said:

So, if West had a club instead of on of his hearts, you would disallow the claim because one of the tricks had to be won by the king of diamonds, and therefore dummy is not high? The correct procedure with all claims is to give the claimer the worst line that is careless. Here that is not to discard the king of diamonds. If West had a club, it would be worse than careless not to play a diamond before using both entries.

No, the correct procedure with all claims is to give the worst non-careless line that is consistent with the claim statement, if any. If there are no lines consistent with the claim statement, then and only then do you give the worst of all non-careless lines.

If West had had a club instead of one of his hearts, and the same statement had been made, then it would break down immediately on a red-suit return, since it would be impossible to win both small diamonds. So we have to fall back on the worst of all non-careless lines; since as you say it would be worse than careless to fail to make all the tricks now, we still allow him to do so.

#27 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-November-16, 06:35

campboy, on 2015-November-16, 04:08, said:

No, the correct procedure with all claims is to give the worst non-careless line that is consistent with the claim statement, if any. If there are no lines consistent with the claim statement, then and only then do you give the worst of all non-careless lines.

If West had had a club instead of one of his hearts, and the same statement had been made, then it would break down immediately on a red-suit return, since it would be impossible to win both small diamonds. So we have to fall back on the worst of all non-careless lines; since as you say it would be worse than careless to fail to make all the tricks now, we still allow him to do so.

Then the correct claim statement should be "Dummy will become high if I discard my king of diamonds on a high club". The statement "Dummy is high" breaks down immediately, because, at the time of the claim, dummy is not high. "Dummy is high" means that dummy can win all the remaining tricks regardless of what any of the other THREE hands play. Therefore you disallow a claim, as there is a careless line, leading all dummy's cards in any order including careless orders, which fails. "Dummy is high" is not an indication, implied or otherwise, that declarer has noticed the blockage, and anyone who thinks that is somewhere between East Ham and Upney.

#28 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-November-16, 07:23

The actual effect of telling a good player that he is deemed to play like a moron is that he won't claim again and the game will slow down even further.

If so, he is a moron. All he has to do is claim like a good player, rather than like a moron.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#29 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-16, 10:35

I doubt it. Habits are hard to break. At least 95% of claims are so simple and clear that it's hard not to claim if you're a decent player.

I'm not one of those players who asks partner "No spades?" when he discards. For a while, every time my partner revoked, he would ask me at the end of the hand to start doing that (he's an asker). But I just couldn't get into the habit of it. Luckily, he doesn't revoke often.

#30 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-16, 13:17

gnasher, on 2015-November-16, 07:23, said:

If so, he is a moron. All he has to do is claim like a good player, rather than like a moron.

What do you mean by "claim like a good player"? You and I know some good players whose method of claiming involves putting their hand back in the board without showing it. When challenged about this procedure, their answer is something like: "Everyone knows the hand, don't they?"

#31 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-November-16, 13:29

jallerton, on 2015-November-16, 13:17, said:

What do you mean by "claim like a good player". You and I know some good players whose method of claiming involves putting their hand back in the board without showing it. When challenged about this procedure, their answer is something like: "Everyone knows the hand, don't they?"

Maybe gnasher was using "good" in the sense of "law-abiding".

#32 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-November-17, 07:13

gnasher, on 2015-November-16, 07:23, said:

It is blindingly obvious that here declarer would get the 3 card ending correct if he played it out, he may consider it so obvious that he hasn't even mentioned it. I would feel majorly insulted if a director told me I was not deemed to have discarded K as that implied he thought I played bridge like an imbecile so failing to unblock was merely careless rather than much worse than that.

#33 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-17, 08:27

Cyberyeti, on 2015-November-17, 07:13, said:

I would feel majorly insulted if a director told me I was not deemed to have discarded K as that implied he thought I played bridge like an imbecile so failing to unblock was merely careless rather than much worse than that.

OK. So you would feel insulted if the TD ruled against you. Meanwhile the oppo will feel you have cheated them if you rely on a play that you didn't mention in your claim. So someone is bound to be very unhappy.

Isn't life so much more pleasant if people simply mention when claiming how they intend to play the hand?

#34 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-November-17, 08:44

Pig Trader, on 2015-November-13, 10:11, said:

This was from the A Final of the Pairs at last weekend's EBU Seniors Congress. West is in 4 and South is on lead. West says "Dummy is high".Dummy will ruff the heart return. Do we allow declarer to unblock K on Q next? The Strength of Field is about 60%, for those familiar with the NGS.I thought this was close but favoured one solution over the other. Both my colleagues thought as I did, one of whom thought it also worth posting, so how think the IBLF panel?
In his claim, declarer should have mentioned the K unblock. Notwitstanding, he did say "dummy is high" which imples that dummy takes the remaining tricks. So, IMO, this is a close matter of judgement.

Such ruling anomalies (and there are several more on Bridgewinners) are not the fault of directors but of unnecessarily woolly, complex, and sophisticated rules.

#35 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-November-17, 09:27

nige1, on 2015-November-17, 08:44, said:

In his claim, declarer should have mentioned the K unblock. Notwitstanding, he did say "dummy is high" which imples that dummy takes the remaining tricks. So, IMO, this is a close matter of judgement.

Such ruling anomalies (and there are several more on Bridgewinners) are not the fault of directors but of unnecessarily woolly, complex, and sophisticated rules.

So long as we allow claims such situations are bound to come up, and we need laws to specify what to accept and what not to accept from the claimer. IMHO the only way it is possible to change the laws for the better (???) is to ban all claims, a change that obviously is out of question.

The statement "dummy is high" is itself no guarantee that the claimer observes the need to discard his K in time. However the situation here is so transparent that I would normally accept the claim.

#36 User is offline   Pig Trader 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-17, 12:04

Thanks, everyone.

As I said in the OP, I thought it was close, as did two of my colleagues, but we were all minded, but only just, to allow the claim.

I agree with Pran that the Laws on contested claims are as good as they can possibly be.

A further question did occur to me, and that is: suppose the declarer had instead said "The rest are mine (whatever you lead)"? Would this have made you more inclined or less inclined to acccept the claim?
Barrie Partridge, England

#37 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-17, 13:50

Pig Trader, on 2015-November-17, 12:04, said:

A further question did occur to me, and that is: suppose the declarer had instead said "The rest are mine (whatever you lead)"? Would this have made you more inclined or less inclined to acccept the claim?

I think that's a little better, since it doesn't actually contradict the layout of the cards (dummy isn't high at the time of the claim, it will become high after unblocking), although it still doesn't suggest that declarer has recognized the communication problems.

In the end, I'm likely to adjudicate either of these claims based on my estimate of the expertise of the player. A champion bridge player would get it right, a life novice probably wouldn't. On the other hand, I'd also expect the expert to make mention of the blockage, although when experts are playing against other experts they often don't bother, since they all know that they all can see it.

#38 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-17, 14:13

nige1, on 2015-November-17, 08:44, said:

The is nothing woolly about the requirement to state a line of play. Things become woolly when players ignore their obligations under the law.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#39 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-17, 21:37

Pig Trader, on 2015-November-14, 18:10, said:

" .... if it is determined as fact that the clarification was not interrupted by an opponent .... "

While always something to be wary of, it wasn't an issue here. I'd have said if it was. :rolleyes:

too many people on here love trying to invent their own facts so they can demonstrate their brilliance by giving a different ruling.

#40 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-18, 06:42

Pig Trader, on 2015-November-17, 12:04, said:

Or if they'd said "taking the rest of the tricks in the dummy"?

I think the discarding of the K is such a key part of the play that it has to be mentioned in the claim statement. I wouldn't have allowed the claim.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users