BBO Discussion Forums: Reversing - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Reversing

#1 User is offline   keithhus 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-13, 07:20

Am getting myself a little confused and would appreciate advice.
Is reversing just re-bidding a higher suit at the 2 level to show 16 points or is it re-bidding a higher suit at the 2 level when one could have bid at the 1 level - I.e. Jumping.
I have been opening the bidding by bidding up the line but if reversing is the former, I assume I have to bid the higher suit first with less than 16 pts. e.g. 12-15 pts, Clubs 5, Spades 4.
Or am I totally mis understanding something? Thank you

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-13, 07:55

Have you read this thread?

EDIT

It has done that to me before. This should now work

http://www.bridgebas...post__p__178835
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-13, 09:44

Link above not working, so in a nutshell a reverse is not a jump, but a bid of a new suit such that for partner to put you back into your first suit, the bidding needs to go to a higher level. For example, 1 2 (opponents silent) .. then 2 is not a reverse, but 2 is.

However, this does not apply to a 1-level bid. 1 1 1 is not called a reverse.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-13, 09:48

A reverse is a non-jump which bypasses the 2-level of your first bid suit.

A jump shift by opener is also strong but it is not called a reverse. It also works differently because a jump shift by opener is game forcing while a reverse by opener can be a tad weaker, say 17 or sometimes 16 points.

So with five clubs and four spades you cannot reverse unless partner responds 1nt. You open 1 regardless of strength and rebid 1 with 11-17(18) and 2 with (18)19+.

If partner responds 1nt you either pass or rebid 2 with 11-15(16) points. Playing weak nt, the 1nt response probably shows 6-9 so you can pass with a modest 16 count.

A "high reverse", i.e. a non-jump rebid at the 3-level such as
1-2
is game forcing so how many points it shows depends on the minimum strength of the 2 bid. In Acol, this 3 bid shows a minimum of 15 points, assuming that 2 shows at least a decent 9.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-November-13, 12:14

The reason that reverses should show extras is simply what fromageGB said: "if responder wants to put you back in your [longer] first suit, the bidding needs to get to [the 3] level." Given that responder can have a bad 6, or an ace and out, means that if you bid this way with a minimum opener, you're almost certainly going down.

Now, once you realize that it's not reasonable to reverse with a minimum, you can take advantage of that when it does happen, knowing opener has extras.

One other warning: it is not a good idea to "fake a reverse":
  • your first suit must be longer than your second - don't plan to bid 1-1; 2 with 3=2=4=4 "because I have 18" (and definitely don't do it with 3=1=5=4). Partner *will* take preference back to clubs with 3=3, possibly even 2=2 in the minors. It doesn't matter how many times you bid diamonds after opening 1, partner will not (and should not) take you for longer diamonds.
  • don't reverse into a short (<4 card) suit "to show values". Again, you may never be able to convince partner that you don't actually have a fit there.
    Spoiler

Another note: as said above, 1x-1y; 1 isn't a reverse (responder can take the preference at the 2 level, not 3); and it depends on the system you're playing how forcing it is (in North American styles, it's "Not forcing, but almost never passed" - to about 19 or so).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   keithhus 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-15, 02:54

View Postmycroft, on 2015-November-13, 12:14, said:

The reason that reverses should show extras is simply what fromageGB said: "if responder wants to put you back in your [longer] first suit, the bidding needs to get to [the 3] level." Given that responder can have a bad 6, or an ace and out, means that if you bid this way with a minimum opener, you're almost certainly going down.

Now, once you realize that it's not reasonable to reverse with a minimum, you can take advantage of that when it does happen, knowing opener has extras.

One other warning: it is not a good idea to "fake a reverse":
  • your first suit must be longer than your second - don't plan to bid 1-1; 2 with 3=2=4=4 "because I have 18" (and definitely don't do it with 3=1=5=4). Partner *will* take preference back to clubs with 3=3, possibly even 2=2 in the minors. It doesn't matter how many times you bid diamonds after opening 1, partner will not (and should not) take you for longer diamonds.
  • don't reverse into a short (<4 card) suit "to show values". Again, you may never be able to convince partner that you don't actually have a fit there.
    Spoiler

Another note: as said above, 1x-1y; 1 isn't a reverse (responder can take the preference at the 2 level, not 3); and it depends on the system you're playing how forcing it is (in North American styles, it's "Not forcing, but almost never passed" - to about 19 or so).

Thank you. Just to clarify and using your example, with 3=2=4=4 and 16+/LESS than 16pts, would I open the higher suit?

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-November-15, 06:41

View Postkeithhus, on 2015-November-15, 02:54, said:

Thank you. Just to clarify and using your example, with 3=2=4=4 and 16+/LESS than 16pts, would I open the higher suit?

Reverses are used to show 2-suited hands (with extras). 3=2=4=4 is balanced, and you should aim to show a balanced hand either by opening NT or rebidding NT, the precise sequence/order depending on your systemic ranges for NT opening bids (most significantly the 1NT opener). Assuming that you are not in range for systemic 1N opener you would open a 4 card suit and rebid NT at the appropriate level according to strength. In this case it probably does not matter a huge amount which of two 4 card minor suits you open, although it would be helpful in a regular partnership to be consistent and to agree on it. There are technical arguments in favour of either, but it is not a big issue.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users