• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What should I have done?

#1 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-11, 15:01

This is how the bidding started:

I felt I had enough diamonds to support a 2/1. I'm no expert in bidding, but I thought that 3 in that position would mean a control of some sort, or else a void. Having nothing more to show I bid 3NT and was left in it. Thus far, what have I done wrong? Should I have just passed and let partner take care? All advice welcome!

#2 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-11, 15:30

usually a cue bid in this situation is asking rather than showing. So without a spade stopper you should not bid 3N. I think you can pass 3S X though. No where to go really. 3D is not bad though, esp if you are not playing 2/1.

In fact, if you are not playing 2/1 its probably clear to bid 3d.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-11, 15:44

A 2/1 call is usually bid on 5 card suit or longer, so normally raising with 3 cards is ok. However there are a few hands where partner might choose 2 with only 4 cards, such as 3244 shape. If east had passed, I think 3 is clear, but after the 2 bid you can also consider pass.

I would definitely take 3 in this auction as a stopper ask. You don't have one, and east was kind enough to double, relieving you of your obligation to bid. So I would pass.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-12, 06:04

Thanks for the tips. This was the full deal:

OK I was lucky the spades were 5-5, so I only went 2 down. Not so lucky E-W didn't double giving me a chance to escape to diamonds - 5 makes on this deal if played by north.
One profits by one's gross mistakes.... :unsure:

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-November-13, 11:59

I would also pass over the double. With the opponents bidding just one suit, partner could bid NT with a good stopper. So, the 3 bid is asking for a stopper.

What does a pass over the double signify? It should show basically a minimum opener with no clear cut action available -- exactly what you have. It's up to partner to push further if you are going to get to game.

#6 User is offline   mdaw 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-November-14, 17:22

I would pass. Usually 3 denies spade stopper, but if doubled you can find half stoppers. For example, you have Jxx, and partner has Qx. You can pass, and partner shows half stopper with 3nt bid.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-03, 10:50

View Postrmnka447, on 2015-November-13, 11:59, said:

What does a pass over the double signify? It should show basically a minimum opener with no clear cut action available -- exactly what you have. It's up to partner to push further if you are going to get to game.

I think one of pass or XX should suggest a half-stopper here. While it is probably theoretically best if that is the XX, I think it is safer to use pass for it without discussion. Therefore with a PUP I would prefer 4 to the third round pass. Of course pass was also an option the round before and for the same reason but that is another discussion entirely.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#8 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-03, 12:24

With four you soar, with five you dive. I teach my beginning bridge students to bid their four card suits up the line so a player with 3-2-4-4 shape would bid two clubs not two diamonds. Just as 1S-2H shows a five card heart suit so 1H-2D shows a five card diamond suit.

If partner had a spade stopper she would bid 3NT herself so 3S is asking for a spade stopper not showing one.

#9 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-03, 15:25

View Postoryctolagi, on 2015-November-11, 15:01, said:

This is how the bidding started:

I felt I had enough diamonds to support a 2/1. I'm no expert in bidding, but I thought that 3 in that position would mean a control of some sort, or else a void. Having nothing more to show I bid 3NT and was left in it. Thus far, what have I done wrong? Should I have just passed and let partner take care? All advice welcome!

fwiw If allowed by system prefer pass rather than 1h. If 1h is forced then strongly prefer pass to 3d. If 3d is forced by system then strongly prefer pass over x if that is allowed.

Geez you bid a ton with a nothing hand. :)

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-03, 15:27

View Postrobert2734, on 2016-March-03, 12:24, said:

With four you soar, with five you dive. I teach my beginning bridge students to bid their four card suits up the line so a player with 3-2-4-4 shape would bid two clubs not two diamonds. Just as 1S-2H shows a five card heart suit so 1H-2D shows a five card diamond suit.

And with 3=3=4=3? Perhaps you respond 2 on this analogously with the 3=4=3=3 case after a 1 opening. Or perhaps you use a pudding raise or do not require 4 for your forcing raise or have a natural 2NT response available. In any case it is unusual for 2 to promise 5 in 2/1, notwithstanding that Fred has played it that way (and may well still for all I know). If it were the case here I am sure the OP would have mentioned it by now.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-March-04, 12:28

You have a minimum hand with good support. I have no problem with 3 or pass depending on your bidding agreements after 2 .

3 by partner asks about a stopper. With a stopper, partner could bid 3 NT directly. Without a stopper, you can't bid 3 NT. So your choices, after the double, are to bid something else or pass.

Since it's available, I think pass stands out. You've already bid your hand -- opener, suit, fit. There's nothing left to tell, you've described your hand -- no need to retell your story. A further free bid/call over the double ought to be something extra that you need to tell partner about. So the pass says, there's nothing extra to tell you about and lets partner decide what to do.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users