Posted 2015-November-09, 07:42

When should West double.
When should West bid 2, or 3
When should West bid a new suit?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-09, 11:59

West should generally double unless very weak or extremely shapely, though she may double less frequently when she has a void in LHO's suit.

EDIT: reminded by post below that I should have mentioned that with a weak NT type and 3+ hearts it is probably right to pass often.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-09, 12:04

View Postdickiegera, on 2015-November-09, 07:42, said:

When should West double.
When should West bid 2, or 3
When should West bid a new suit?

Always with 0-1 heart unless void and opened light or have extreme shape. So I would double essentially any 51(43) or 51(52) or 61(42) or 6133.

With doubleton heart I would usually double also, but on many shapes, like 6232 or 62(41) an argument can be made for 2S.

With three hearts I would pass always unless having significant extra values, and/or enough extra shape.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-09, 12:08

very simple answer - I'll leave the details to the real players.

X) When it's reasonable that partner has a penalty double she couldn't make, and you can survive it if she doesn't. This should be the default option, the one you're looking for reasons not to do.
) When, had partner made a penalty double, you would have pulled it, or it's unreasonable that she doesn't have one (because you have the hearts :-).
other) When, had partner made a penalty double, you would have pulled it, or it's unreasonable that she doesn't have one (I assume that's less likely as you are highly likely to be two-suited).

one more thing:

pass) When it's too dangerous to do anything else.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-November-09, 15:27

Augie Boehm pointed out (in DEMON DOUBLES I think), one has to be careful about reopening with a double when void in the opponent's suit. An often vital feature of the defense of a doubled contract when partner has a trump stack behind declarer is to have a trump lead through declarer. It may allow partner to take advantage of a tenace position that otherwise might be compromised by an endplay later in the hand. If you are unable to do that because of a void, it may make the defense very awkward.

#6 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-November-12, 19:51

• Pass on any sub-minimum or holding 3+ cards.
  • Double on any 1 or 2 card holding except if holding 55 to 6+ card suit and PURE values. (The purer your values the more tricks your side rates to take). Can be balanced extra power (18-19).
  • Rebid on any hand with 6+ and 7 tricks in hand.
  • Jump rebid on any normal 3 jump rebid hand (6+ Cards, 15-17 HCP, e.g.) where you do NOT want to settle for a doubled contract going down.
  • Bid 4 holding high ODR and 9 sure tricks. (Bid to contract minus one - expect h=partner to be able to contribute one trick).
  • A new suit should show 55, not 54, and no desire to defend.
  • A jump shift should show tricks, not necessarily power.

The real problem is what to do with a void. Usually, a void and a minimum hand can double safely. A void with a stronger than average opening hand will often do better to bid than double (High ODR).
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-November-12, 20:41

I thought people threw out the 'don't double with a void' rubbish years ago. I first heard this idea in a Bergen book and I didn't think anyone took it seriously - I guess Boehm does.

While its true that you don't have a trump to play through declarer, its also more likely we have a fit when partner bids and one less trump in our hand = one more possible trump in partner's.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users