• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another Pet Peeve

#1 User is offline   daffydoc 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-08, 06:51

while on the subject of pet peeves( last one was hesitations) my pet peeve is when opponents say well done when declarer has taken his top tricks without a finesse, coup, squeeze, or even a nice counting of the hand. Even worse when a contract was made because of a defensive error - which really seems rude as it rubs salt in the wound. I save well done for a declarer play or defensive play that was truly exceptional - and would like to see others follow suit( pun intended). daffydoc

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-08, 09:28

In principle I agree. We distinguish "well done" from "well played" for this reason.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-08, 10:04

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-November-08, 09:28, said:

In principle I agree. We distinguish "well done" from "well played" for this reason.

I prefer "You did the best you could, partner." Especially, when partner has held on to nine of his eleven tricks.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-09, 05:05

I think it is bad form to conceal a barb in a comment. "You did the best you could" seems to me to fall into that category.

From a few weeks playing on BBO, I recognise that there are stock abbreviations like "GLP", "TYP", "WPO" which you can't get away from. It's a bit like applauding after a theatre or concert performance, even if it's been dire (I once walked out in mid-applause after a piano recital, because I thought the soloist had made too many errors). You may not wish to conform to custom, but you probably do, most of the time. Same with compliments on BBO, I suppose.

Is a comment beginning with "forgive me for making a suggestion, but...." any better? I did that once and it was well received. With another partner it might not have been - I took a chance there!

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-09, 05:18

You're reading to much into a wdp, IMO. Many say this automatically, without even noticing whether the contract was difficult or not, just because partner made it.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-November-09, 05:24

Yes, maybe bad form, never really thought about that, but quite fun when you are bored, especially if you do not expect the recipient of the comment to understand that it is barbed.

There was another good one (I thought) that I came up with on the fly a while back.

Partner was on lead at trick 1. I won trick 1 and switched (correctly).

After hand end, partner said "Please don't take this the wrong way, but you will find that you will do better if you return the suit led by your partner". I responded "Thank you. I shall not take it the wrong way."
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-November-09, 07:22

my pet peeve is people who get aggravated when other people excercise a free choice which has no direct negative effect on them whatsoever.
:rolleyes:

#8 User is offline   tobycurtis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge & badminton

Posted 2015-November-09, 07:57

Totally agree with daffydoc. Either some people are just too brain-dead to notice their partner has done absolutely nothing special at all, or they're trying to be courteous with a pick-up partner. Either way, seems unnecessary to me. But if I don't like what I see in the chat, I just don't look at it.

#9 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2015-November-09, 09:09

View Posttobycurtis, on 2015-November-09, 07:57, said:

Totally agree with daffydoc. Either some people are just too brain-dead to notice their partner has done absolutely nothing special at all ...

Or they have a far better understanding of the standard of their partner and what is "nothing special" to you might be very special to them.

But, as Diana says, it is automatic for the vast majority. Kibitzing some of my weaker friends I see a lot of wdp and hlo when they've gone done in cold contracts, it is just supportive noise.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-November-09, 09:13

I suspect that there are far more players that find it rude when their partner does not type something like "wdp" after they make a contract than players who find "wdp" rude because the contract was too easy or required no particularly good play. Quite frankly though, does it really matter providing everyone is being friendly and polite? Would you find it better if dummy, on seeing their partner make 4= rather than 4+1 wrote: "Well you f***ed that one up didn't you p"?
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-09, 11:44

I'll say this. I'm no expert, but I think I'm most comfortable with my declarer play - more so than defence and bidding, at any rate! :( OK: so when I make an overtrick or two, simply by the expedience of cashing winners, plus maybe guessing a finesse right - and my partner then comes up with "vwpp", that is embarrassing to say the least! It's the "v" that I'm uncomfortable with. If they merely post "wpp" then I realise it's simply a courtesy call.

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-November-09, 12:02

I don't like wdp = "opponents screwed up" - that's frankly a violation of L74A2, even if totally unintended. I don't mind = "you successfully took 7 tricks with 9 available in 1NT". I quite appreciate = "you took all your aces and kings, making 9 tricks when doing anything else would have set us". I find it uncomfortable (although I agree it is well done) when = "your play convinced the opponents to screw up take a losing option".

I don't pay attention (or at least I try not to pay attention) when I'm dummy. So if partner makes the contract, or in any way gets their 85% on the board, I avoid "wdp". Because frankly, I shouldn't know, and frequently don't, which of the above it is.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-November-09, 12:26

View Postoryctolagi, on 2015-November-09, 05:05, said:

I think it is bad form to conceal a barb in a comment. "You did the best you could" seems to me to fall into that category.

Again, I have failed to include a smiley face with a post. Terry actually does use the YDTBYC shortcut after I have misplayed a hand; but it is in good humor between us.

#14 User is offline   10akqj 

• Pip

Posted 2015-November-09, 15:27

Always say "Very Well Played" or "Excellent Play" to partner when partner makes a redoubled contract with or without overtricks, or when the opponents are humbled in a doubled contract, even if there was nothing special to do or if very ordinary play achieved the result.

Nobody asked the opponents to bid an unmakeable contract or to double an easy contract. If it rubs them the wrong way, so be it :)

#15 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-November-09, 23:25

My gripe is at the other end of the spectrum. On the occasions I have managed to fulfil a
difficult contract(often made all the more challenging through partner's inane bidding)
the result was greeted with a riot of silence. Talk about casting my pearls before swine(!) :angry:
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#16 User is offline   angervea 

• Pip

Posted 2015-November-10, 03:39

That's the reason I only tell the opps wd. If I play with my reg partner, we talk about it later, and with random players I don't mind. Bad result: opps are too good partner! satisfies everyone.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-10, 10:04

I rarely bother with "wdp", but I'll do "wdo" when I'm impressed with their play or defense.

#18 User is offline   Qiana 

• Pip

Posted 2015-November-10, 12:11

View Postdaffydoc, on 2015-November-08, 06:51, said:

while on the subject of pet peeves( last one was hesitations) my pet peeve is when opponents say well done when declarer has taken his top tricks without a finesse, coup, squeeze, or even a nice counting of the hand. Even worse when a contract was made because of a defensive error - which really seems rude as it rubs salt in the wound. I save well done for a declarer play or defensive play that was truly exceptional - and would like to see others follow suit( pun intended). daffydoc

Totally agree. But then there are many instances on BBO where bridge etiquette is sadly lacking. I would like to think it is a result of ignorance of either etiquette or the inability to recognise when a "well done" is merited.

#19 User is offline   BCRPro 

• Pip

Posted 2015-November-10, 20:02

It really irks me to see a wdp when we, the defenders, just handed the contract over.

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-November-10, 22:01

View Post10akqj, on 2015-November-09, 15:27, said:

Always say "Very Well Played" or "Excellent Play" to partner when partner makes a redoubled contract with or without overtricks, or when the opponents are humbled in a doubled contract, even if there was nothing special to do or if very ordinary play achieved the result.

Nobody asked the opponents to bid an unmakeable contract or to double an easy contract. If it rubs them the wrong way, so be it :)

That is called rubbing it in. I was raised differently.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users