• You cannot reply to this topic

Little Strong

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-November-06, 15:29

2 spades lol :)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-06, 16:22

The problem here is the description of 1NT, which you obviously didn't read. I don't agree with it, but with GIB your 1NT rebid over their double shows 18-19. Given that, the auction is similar to this non-competitive one. 1m-1S-2NT (same range you showed on this hand) 3S, which is unlimited and forcing.

It's still perfectly OK to PASS to show minimum, balanced values in context with previous bidding. I would pass in any case, my 1NT rebld would be a good 13 or 14 HCP.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-07, 01:17

Several of us have tried several times to get the meaning of 1N changed.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-07, 08:16

Somewhere in another universe there is a thread started by GIB asking why their partner passed an obviously forcing rebid. :lol:
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-November-11, 19:09

Not convinced that 2S should be forcing here. There are systems in which
1C-1M
2D*-2M is NF. (I learned this from paulg but I think I've seen it elsewhere too)
*diamonds or 18-19 balanced,

Why can't I sign off in 2M if I have a very bad hand? Partner can raise, I guess, if she insists.

I also don't know what people who play T-walsh play after
1m-1M-1*(transfer)
1N (18-19)-2M

Isn't it just standard to play this as a signoff? I suppose there is no standard (Frances plays transfers IIRC and everyone has something special prepared for T Walsh stuff) but still, doesn't signing off in 2M at least come on the radar?

It all boils down to another one of GIB's patented "I will tell you my shape but say nothing about my strength, good luck guessing whether this is forcing TROLOLOLOL" moments. Are there any decelopers anywhere? How hard is it to add a "forcing/non forcing" box? In the beginning it will suck but in time, after training and eliminating bugs, it will get better. It would be a start.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-13, 11:42

View Postgwnn, on 2015-November-11, 19:09, said:

Not convinced that 2S should be forcing here. There are systems in which
1C-1M
2D*-2M is NF. (I learned this from paulg but I think I've seen it elsewhere too)
*diamonds or 18-19 balanced,

Why can't I sign off in 2M if I have a very bad hand? Partner can raise, I guess, if she insists.

I also don't know what people who play T-walsh play after
1m-1M-1*(transfer)
1N (18-19)-2M

Isn't it just standard to play this as a signoff? I suppose there is no standard (Frances plays transfers IIRC and everyone has something special prepared for T Walsh stuff) but still, doesn't signing off in 2M at least come on the radar?

It all boils down to another one of GIB's patented "I will tell you my shape but say nothing about my strength, good luck guessing whether this is forcing TROLOLOLOL" moments. Are there any decelopers anywhere? How hard is it to add a "forcing/non forcing" box? In the beginning it will suck but in time, after training and eliminating bugs, it will get better. It would be a start.

GIB doesn't play Wolff Signoff over a 2NT rebid, so you are also somewhat stuck with a very weak hand with a long major (say KJxxxx and out) in that auction. I love Soloway strong jump shifts, but you also need a way to show this sort of hand. I honestly have never known anyone who played this 1NT rebid as 18-19, nor have I seen it in print, so it's not surprising that continuations from there are unclear.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users