BBO Discussion Forums: Revoke ruling - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Revoke ruling

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2015-November-05, 07:41

This is from the Monday afternoon November 2 afternoon Common Game. (http://www.thecommon...ml#tab_board_20)

You are called to the table and told East revoked at trick 6, pitching his singleton club.

Opening lead was a diamond to West's queen. Declarer ducked twice, won the third diamond, then cashed three top spades, with East's revoke occurring on the third spade.

Declarer switched to clubs at trick 7. West won the ace, returned a diamond, East cashed out diamonds and the spade 9 (which should have been played on the third spade). 6 tricks for the defense, 7 tricks for declarer, down 2 in 3NT.

The Law 64A2 penalty is a one trick transfer, resulting in down 1 instead of down 2. What does the Law 64C (equity) lead you to rule as a result if you are the Director if West is:

(a) a moderate Flight C player with a year of experience, or

(b) a low to average level Flight B player, or

(c ) a high level Flight B or low level Flight A player

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-November-05, 08:06

I guess you are talking about West's skill level because you are implying that he might discard his diamond on the run of the spades? Even for a relatively new player, I would consider that a careless rather than a normal play, and unlike for a bad claim, Law 64C does not require you to presume careless play, so one off is always the normal result. I suppose if your jurisdiction allows weighted scores you could give 10% or 5% or whatever of 3NT= but I doubt it's going to make anyone happier.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2015-November-05, 08:19

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-November-05, 08:06, said:

I guess you are talking about West's skill level because you are implying that he might discard his diamond on the run of the spades? Even for a relatively new player, I would consider that a careless rather than a normal play, and unlike for a bad claim, Law 64C does not require you to presume careless play, so one off is always the normal result. I suppose if your jurisdiction allows weighted scores you could give 10% or 5% or whatever of 3NT= but I doubt it's going to make anyone happier.

The reason I focused on West's skill is if declarer decides after cashing five spades to take a heart finesse, which this time succeeds, and then either immediately or after cashing the heart ace lead a low club towards his J9x, will West ever duck, allowing 3NT to make?

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 08:21

But if East discards a diamond it will also make (or if he discards two hearts but we can probably assume that he will dicard a club).

Edit: oh yes, W might duck a club. All in all there is probably enough possibilities for 3NT= for that to be a possible result.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 08:22

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-November-05, 08:06, said:

I guess you are talking about West's skill level because you are implying that he might discard his diamond on the run of the spades?

To nitpick, east could also discard a diamond, or even two hearts, although either play would be irrational. So 3NT-1 seems right.

The problem I have with this is that EW get a result no worse than they would have received without the revoke. This creates situations such as this hand, where players can revoke for free: gaining if they get away with it, and losing nothing if caught. For this reason, I favor mandatory minimum penalties for some infractions.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 09:08

View Postbillw55, on 2015-November-05, 08:22, said:

players can revoke for free: gaining if they get away with it, and losing nothing if caught.

Not exactly the case. See Law 72B1. Of course, proving intent may prove difficult.

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 09:58

View Postbiggerclub, on 2015-November-05, 09:08, said:

Not exactly the case. See Law 72B1. Of course, proving intent may prove difficult.

Right. Which is why I favor rules that are neutral as to intent. I do recognize that this is not always possible or practical in bridge.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-05, 10:18

On the 4th spade, East would presumably discard his club, just like he did when he revoked. This would probably help any reasonably competent West find the correct defense.

Whether this would be enough for the novice is a good question.

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 15:00

Remember (at least for the next while), that the ACBL is a "no weighted scores" territory. So, the separate requirements for each side apply, and this may be one of the situations where a split score is appropriate.

"For the offending side, the worst result that is at all possible" - it is clear that both West and East have pressure that is "at all possible" to mispitch on the run of the spades. So for E/W, 3NT=. You want to show off your skill? Quit revoking in critical situations, then.

"For the non-offending side, the best result that is likely" - now that's where skill applies. Normally I'm happy with "the skill level of someone who revokes is low enough to mispitch in a critical situation", but East knows she has 4 diamonds and a trick, provided partner has a trick. Having said *that*, if North has the J, which he certainly could in this auction (I assume 1NT was 15-17), she is legitimately squeezed (for overtricks, but this is matchpoints) on the fifth spade. Does she pitch a diamond and concede the contract, or pitch a heart and potentially concede +2? Is she good enough to see the guard squeeze potential? Also, how likely is it that West will make a mistake as said by others?

Interesting questions.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-November-05, 18:40

Interesting indeed. Clearly it's not a simple 3NT down one for both sides.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   richlp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 18:48

View PostBudH, on 2015-November-05, 07:41, said:

This is from the Monday afternoon November 2 afternoon Common Game. (http://www.thecommon...ml#tab_board_20)

You are called to the table and told East revoked at trick 6, pitching his singleton club.

Opening lead was a diamond to West's queen. Declarer ducked twice, won the third diamond, then cashed three top spades, with East's revoke occurring on the third spade.

Declarer switched to clubs at trick 7. West won the ace, returned a diamond, East cashed out diamonds and the spade 9 (which should have been played on the third spade). 6 tricks for the defense, 7 tricks for declarer, down 2 in 3NT.

The Law 64A2 penalty is a one trick transfer, resulting in down 1 instead of down 2. What does the Law 64C (equity) lead you to rule as a result if you are the Director if West is:

(a) a moderate Flight C player with a year of experience, or

(b) a low to average level Flight B player, or

(c ) a high level Flight B or low level Flight A player

Apparantly I'm not as up-to-date on the rules as I should be......From David Stevenson's page "All about Revokes"

"If the revoker (not his partner) won a later trick with a card he could legally have played to the revoke trick then the penalty is two tricks."

Has this been changed????????????

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-November-05, 18:55

It's only two tricks if the offending player won the revoke trick and his side wins a later trick.

I don't know when that article was written, but the current law dates back to 2007/2008. It was different before that, iirc.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-06, 10:24

I thought this was one of the laws that was changed in the 2007 Laws, but I just checked the 1997 Laws and it's the same (except for the way it's worded).

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-06, 10:30

View Postbarmar, on 2015-November-06, 10:24, said:

I thought this was one of the laws that was changed in the 2007 Laws, but I just checked the 1997 Laws and it's the same (except for the way it's worded).

What's changed is that it is no longer a two-trick penalty if you win a subsequent trick with a card you could legally have played to the revoke trick.

A retrograde step in my opinion. Actually, I would be happy with a two-trick penalty every time.

The lawmakers seem determined to make a lot of things like following suit and bidding sufficiently optional. It seems to me that these things are pretty basic and should be required.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-06, 11:12

View Postbarmar, on 2015-November-06, 10:24, said:

No, it's significantly different.

When a revoke is established:
1. and the trick on which the revoke occurred was won by the offending
player, at the end of the play the trick on which the revoke occurred
is transferred to the non-offending side together with one of any
subsequent tricks won by the offending side.
2. and the trick on which the revoke occurred was not won by the
offending player then, if the offending side won that or any subsequent
trick, after play ends one trick is transferred to the non-offending side.

When a revoke is established:
1. Offending Player Won Revoke Trick
and the trick on which the revoke occurred was won by the offending
player, (penalty) after play ceases, the trick on which the revoke
occurred plus one of any subsequent tricks won by the offending side
are transferred to the non-offending side.
2. Offending Player Did Not Win Revoke Trick
and the trick on which the revoke occurred was not won by the offending
player, then, if the offending side won that or any subsequent trick,
(penalty) after play ceases, one trick is transferred to the non-offending
side; also, if an additional trick was subsequently won by the offending
player with a card that he could legally have played to the revoke trick,
one such trick is transferred to the non-offending side.

The final bit was removed in 2007.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#16 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-November-06, 12:23

View PostVampyr, on 2015-November-06, 10:30, said:

What's changed is that it is no longer a two-trick penalty if you win a subsequent trick with a card you could legally have played to the revoke trick.

A retrograde step in my opinion. Actually, I would be happy with a two-trick penalty every time.

The lawmakers seem determined to make a lot of things like following suit and bidding sufficiently optional. It seems to me that these things are pretty basic and should be required.

It is a two trick penalty (subject to two penalty tricks being available) when the offender wins the revoke trick. The change in 2007 (as gordontd points out) is that the Director no longer needs to investigate whether the offender, while not winning the revoke trick, wins a later trick with a card he could have played to the revoke trick.

This removed part of the laws was a very unfortunate rule, partly because it complicated revoke cases, partly because the offending side often could avoid the second trick penalty by careful play to the later tricks.

And don't forget Law 64C.

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-November-06, 20:08

View Postpran, on 2015-November-06, 12:23, said:

It is a two trick penalty (subject to two penalty tricks being available) when the offender wins the revoke trick. The change in 2007 (as gordontd points out) is that the Director no longer needs to investigate whether the offender, while not winning the revoke trick, wins a later trick with a card he could have played to the revoke trick.

Gosh, I said it before Gordon. I suspected that changing my text colour to white might be a mistake.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-November-06, 22:02

View PostVampyr, on 2015-November-06, 20:08, said:

Gosh, I said it before Gordon. I suspected that changing my text colour to white might be a mistake.

Oh, I noticed your post too, but as you left out "It is a two trick penalty (subject to two penalty tricks being available) when the offender wins the revoke trick" I referred to Gordon instead. (No offence intended)

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-November-07, 14:10

View Postpran, on 2015-November-06, 22:02, said:

Oh, I noticed your post too, but as you left out "It is a two trick penalty (subject to two penalty tricks being available) when the offender wins the revoke trick" I referred to Gordon instead. (No offence intended)

This bit hadn't changed when the most recent Laws came out. So it was not really relevant to the comment that I replied to.

#20 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-10, 03:05

View Postpran, on 2015-November-06, 12:23, said:

This removed part of the laws was a very unfortunate rule, partly because it complicated revoke cases, partly because the offending side often could avoid the second trick penalty by careful play to the later tricks.

And don't forget Law 64C.

I think the previous rule was better precisely because club TDs often do forget Law 64C. The vast majority of 64C cases in the current laws involve a defender winning a later trick with a card he shouldn't have (and conversely, most situations where this happens now require 64C).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users