• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Zirconia questions

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-November-03, 17:34

A quick introduction for those unfamiliar: Zirconia is a convention devised by fellow poster Adam Meyerson awm wherein 1-1-2 shows 3 spades and 1-1-1NT shows 4+ diamonds or 2=5=3=3 shape. The purpose of the present post is to discuss followups to these bids.

1. What is 1-1; 2-3m?

In his notes which he graciously shared with me, Victor Chubukov (karlson) has these as natural, INV+, confirming a 5-3 spade fit. That does make a lot of sense, especially for slam exploration, buy my partner was quite disappointed to learn that he would have to play a 4-3 spade fit when he had 4 shoddy spades and a nice 6-card minor. We ended up agreeing that with an invitational 46m hand he should jump shift, and then opener with 4 spades should make sure to bid 1-3m-3 en passant when accepting, but the question remains whether it would be better to have 3m available as a weak takeout for below-invitational strength hands.

2. How does opener checkback for a fit after 1-1; 2-2M?

Does he simply bid 2NT/3NT and hope responder will correct? What if opener wants to play 3NT even if there is a 5-3 fit? What if opener has game or slam interest only with a fit?

3. How to continue after 1-1; 1NT?

Adam in his original writeup suggests 2 as 4th suit invitational, with 2NT+ as natural and game-forcing. Victor suggests 2 as a near-puppet (opener bidding 2 unless he has 2=5=3=3), showing either a weak takeout to diamonds/spades/clubs or an invite (shown by bidding hearts or 2NT), with 2 as an ART GF. The latter seems more attractive to me, but perhaps that is because it is closely related to methods I already know well whereas 4th suit invitational is foreign to me. I'm not even sure whether I always have to jump with a maximum when responding to 2 ART INV. Perhaps someone can expound on the workings and advantages of that method?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-04, 00:33

Often I play some method that limits the opening and makes #2 moot (i.e. strong club, or Zirconia/Gazilli). Otherwise I'd play that opener bids out his shape when holding extras (so 3m is like 3514, 2nt is like 18-19 bal, etc). I think the way to think about #2 is that opener has shown 8 cards of his hand and responder has shown four, so opener should just pattern out.

For #3, the way I play 4th suit invitational is that opener rebids in steps. So opener's 2 rebid is very min, 2 is medium, and higher is GF and sort of natural. The main advantage of this is letting us out in 2-red on declined invites a lot, which also means we can invite on a wider range of hands and helps with some tough hands like 15 opposite 10.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-04, 05:24

am i getting confused? i thought you played 1nt as inc 2533 or strong a.k.a gazilli and 2 over that as the gazilli positive with anything else being a descriptive negative.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-04, 07:11

View Postwank, on 2015-November-04, 05:24, said:

am i getting confused? i thought you played 1nt as inc 2533 or strong a.k.a gazilli and 2 over that as the gazilli positive with anything else being a descriptive negative.

That's a possible variation but not the basic convention. I think it's probably even better with Gazzilli but my partner and I aren't quite ready to work on all the followups after 1-1-1NT-2.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 19:21

Should 1-1; 3m-3 promise 6 spades when playing Zirconia?
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users