BBO Discussion Forums: Funny hand from B-Z - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Funny hand from B-Z reevaluating.

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-November-02, 11:32

this hand was noticed by Tim Schumacher.

{comments}

B19

--http://www.bridgebase.com/tools/handviewer.html?bbo=y&linurl=http://www.bridgebase.com/tools/vugraph_linfetch.php?id=34209--

https://www.youtube....Qb22r0&t=25m20s

The theory is that no spacing = minimum hand while big spacing = extra values.

"B" first think his hand is pretty good for a 1 level NV overcall plus he got Ax and ruffing power that goes with partner D suit.

But later we see him reevalute probably thinking my partner showed a "bad" 2D so my hand isnt that good anymore.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 13:29

I take my hat off to anyone who can see anything in that video.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 15:02

25min27 he tip the pass twice to make the bid close to the 1H overcall. Its quite clear.

Again the theory is that wide spacing between the bids is extras and no spacing is minimum and medium spacing is medium hand. So he changed his mind here and its somewhat understandable.

I wasnt convinced by this theory and kept some doubt about B-Z since the initial videos that ive saw werent clear but Kit post on BW is nearly as convincing as the one on F-N and F-S cases.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#4 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-02, 16:23

I'm glad that the whole thing is now (probably) over with regard to searching for evidence. I tuned out once Ish uploaded the screenshots of Balicki signaling his entire shape while groping dummy, lol. I know scientific process and all that but omg that violates my common sense threshold WAAAAAY too hard.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 16:36

You were not the only one.

#6 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2015-November-03, 18:59

Everything about the cheating allegations of various top level players (including the number 1 world pairing) recently has made me re-evaluate my own feelings about bridge. This beautiful card game has been hijacked by various alleged duplicitous individuals who have colluded as pairs to profit from their alleged cheating. And even if the world of bridge is now 'cleaned out', there's a very bitter taste that so many expert pairs have had to resort to these methods. It was bad enough in 1965 in Buenos Aires when my own country was accused of cheating. Sadly, for me, I no longer feel the empathy and passion for the game as I had previously. I do not wish to sound melodramatic but I do wonder if other players feel similarly? And it does make me wonder just how many other bridge partnerships in the world are also using some form of code at the table? What occurred before the World Championships may only be the tip of the iceberg.

#7 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-04, 01:38

View PostThe_Badger, on 2015-November-03, 18:59, said:

Everything about the cheating allegations of various top level players (including the number 1 world pairing) recently has made me re-evaluate my own feelings about bridge. This beautiful card game has been hijacked by various alleged duplicitous individuals who have colluded as pairs to profit from their alleged cheating. And even if the world of bridge is now 'cleaned out', there's a very bitter taste that so many expert pairs have had to resort to these methods. It was bad enough in 1965 in Buenos Aires when my own country was accused of cheating. Sadly, for me, I no longer feel the empathy and passion for the game as I had previously. I do not wish to sound melodramatic but I do wonder if other players feel similarly? And it does make me wonder just how many other bridge partnerships in the world are also using some form of code at the table? What occurred before the World Championships may only be the tip of the iceberg.

I don't think you are alone. I feel somewhat the same in that it is one thing to spend time on a hobby/pass time that is "just a game" it is another to spend time on a hobby/pass time that is "just a corrupt game". And I've heard from quite a few folks that they assume bridge at the top is much more like Lance Armstrong era top cycling (essentially nearly everyone cheating) than just a couple of bad apples (I doubt this, but I also doubt everyone who cheats is caught). That said, I'm still looking forward to Denver nationals and am cautiously optimistic that we (bridge players world wide) can work through this.

#8 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-04, 13:27

I'm also glad that Boye's original screenshots/implied hypothesis actually wound up being the nail in the coffin.

I did see in a thread that Kit was testing Ovunc to read Balicki's entire shape from fingers and taps, and that Ovunc was very very successful. But it feels nice to have the original document/hypothesis sent to the WBF to be the one to seal the deal.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-November-04, 15:15

View Postbenlessard, on 2015-November-02, 11:32, said:

... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-04, 16:56

thx how can i change the size in my link ?

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-November-05, 03:35

View Postbenlessard, on 2015-November-04, 16:56, said:

thx how can i change the size in my link ?

(hv=http://bridgebase.com/link)400|300(/hv)
But with square brackets (you can see what I did by quoting my post and seeing the code.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2015-November-05, 11:07

View Postkuhchung, on 2015-November-04, 13:27, said:

I'm also glad that Boye's original screenshots/implied hypothesis actually wound up being the nail in the coffin.

What has been proved is (at most) that B-Z were cheating or that their bid placements were unconscious tells. Or maybe one can tell the difference by just looking?

From a comment on Bridgewinners (http://bridgewinners...ki-zmudzinski/?):

the fact they clearly spaced in 2 ways was enough for me. Nobody does that, nobody, what are the chances of same players on the same pair?.

To which Nicolas Hammond replied:

Nobody sat West for this board. Watch the spacing of the second bid (pass)
https://www.youtube....DXA1lQ&t=59m33s now watch the spacing of the third bid (3NT)
https://www.youtube....XA1lQ&t=1h2m20s

IMO, this is a very clear wide, then narrow, bid.

[...]

Board 24. West hand: QJ72:QJ106:AQ:643.

Auction (West dealer): 1-1NT-X-2:P-2-3-P:3NT-P-P-P.

The 1 was normal, wide pass of 2 transfer bid indicates willingness to penalize 2? Narrow bid of 3NT indicates minimum (12 HCP) for the auction? Nothing should ever be read into one board.

Of course, West was neither Balicki nor Zmudzinski, but Brogeland himself.

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-November-05, 11:19

Cheating or unconscious tells or adjusted by aliens or the footage was edited by the NSA or maybe they were brainwashed by Russia when they lived there (Manchurian candidate) or....
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 13:39

View Postgwnn, on 2015-November-05, 11:19, said:

the footage was edited by the NSA

Well, that would certainly fit the hypothesis that Balicki was deliberately signalling and Brogeland not.

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-November-05, 14:42

View Postnullve, on 2015-November-05, 13:39, said:

Well, that would certainly fit the hypothesis that Balicki was deliberately signalling and Brogeland not.

I disagree with Fluffy (who is the poster from BW you wrote about) that nobody spaces the calls unevenly only B-Z. "The accusers" are not a monolith and I do not need to defend every single thing they said about every single thing.

Balicki was definitely signalling (definitely=very high probability, not 1.00 {actually not even probability=1.00 is logical certainly}) based on analysis done on 200 hands. You showed two photos of Brogeland and did not even mention the hands. Do you see the difference? Of course you do, so I am not sure what you are trying to do.

It being an unconscious tell is something we have discussed ad nauseam already, but I just want to say that you will never be able to prove that any signal is not an unconscious tell. How would you go about it? It is an unfalsifiable hypothesis. As I mentioned before, even written admission of guilt can be a result of false memories. It doesn't mean that the whole legal system (in the bridge world or outside) needs to break down. There is reasonable doubt and unreasonable doubt and in my opinion the issues you are raising belong to the second category.
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 15:30

View Postgwnn, on 2015-November-05, 14:42, said:

Do you see the difference?

Of course. We don't disagree. (I even believe that B-Z were signalling.)

you will never be able to prove that any signal is not an unconscious tell. How would you go about it?

How come the burden of proof is suddenly on me?

It is an unfalsifiable hypothesis.

Maybe an exaggeration, but essentially my point. Where's the disagreement?

As I mentioned before, even written admission of guilt can be a result of false memories. It doesn't mean that the whole legal system (in the bridge world or outside) needs to break down.

Agree.

There is reasonable doubt and unreasonable doubt

Ok, but hopefully the witchfinder generals are not the ones to decide what is what.

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-November-05, 15:59

View Postnullve, on 2015-November-05, 15:30, said:

Of course. We don't disagree. (I even believe that B-Z were signalling.)

Great. So why bring up Brogeland?

How come the burden of proof is suddenly on me?

It is not on you. It is just that nobody can prove it, no matter on who the burden of proof rests. Anyone could reply to any accusation, even if there is tape of them committing the crime, that it was just unconscious. It is simply not a feasible way of going about life to accept that proposition or even entertain accepting it without some sort of additional evidence.

Maybe an exaggeration, but essentially my point. Where's the disagreement?

The disagreement is that you say "they either cheated or they were unconsciously signalling" as if it was a 50/50 proposition. It is not. I know you're not giving exact probabilities but when you say it like that, without any qualifiers, it makes it sound like that in natural language.
Agree.

Ok, but hopefully the witchfinder generals are not the ones to decide what is what.

The "witchfinder generals" spent hundreds of hours looking at slow-motion videos and doing statistical analysis while we were sitting at home, drinking coffee, and discussing things like "but it's possible!" "but do you think it's plausible?" "I don't know! but it's possible! don't you see it's possible??" Maybe a bit more respect to their work is in order. The witchfinder generals apparently now need not only to do the statistical analysis and convince people who say things like "ok but p=0.000001 is still not certainty right?" but they have to convince you who can ask them "but maybe B-Z developed a message as pigeons do, maybe they both developed the same exact message semi-independently, maybe they learned to interpet the messages as horses do, maybe they were completely oblivious to all of this, maybe they adjust the bids when they slide because they have an OCD-like compulsion due to the subconscious code that is controlling them like Ophiocordyceps unilateralis* takes over ants and make them climb as high as possible on the grass to be eaten by cows, maybe all of this is true, so yea it's pretty much 50/50, so now that you climbed the mountain of proving the code clearly, I would like to point to this other mountain that I can tell you a priori that it is completely unscalable, but OK good luck, until you're done, I will still have my logical possibility and you can't do anything to disprove them." Yes OK I think there is some disagreement.

*-I know you didn't mention the brain parasite but I couldn't help but mention it. hope you don't mind
      George Carlin

#18 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 16:52

View Postgwnn, on 2015-November-05, 15:59, said:

Great. So why bring up Brogeland?

Because many posters here and on Bridgewinners seem to think they can look at bid placements on one board and find proof that B-Z were cheating. Fortunately, you're not one of them.

The disagreement is that you say "they either cheated or they were unconsciously signalling" as if it was a 50/50 proposition. It is not. I know you're not giving exact probabilities but when you say it like that, without any qualifiers, it makes it sound like that in natural language.

No, there's no disagreement. (Well, now there is.) If you believe that B-Z cheated, you also believe that they either cheated or signalled unconsciously. And I'm not saying it's a 50/50 proposition. It could be a 1/99 or 99/1 proposition for all I know. If you're willing to hang B-Z on the evidence, you should be the one to come up with the probabilities.

The "witchfinder generals" spent hundreds of hours looking at slow-motion videos and doing statistical analysis while we were sitting at home, drinking coffee, and discussing things like "but it's possible!" "but do you think it's plausible?" "I don't know! but it's possible! don't you see it's possible??" Maybe a bit more respect to their work is in order. The witchfinder generals apparently now need not only to do the statistical analysis and convince people who say things like "ok but p=0.000001 is still not certainty right?"

I alredy regret using the expression 'witchfinder generals', since I certainly wasn't thinking of the statisticians who convinced me that B-Z were signalling.

#19 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-November-05, 17:38

View Postnullve, on 2015-November-05, 16:52, said:

And I'm not saying it's a 50/50 proposition. It could be a 1/99 or 99/1 proposition for all I know.

Really? I mean, really really, you don't know whether it is 1/99 or 99/1? You have absolutely no idea at all? Your best guess it just to shrug and say you have no idea? I mean, this is even worse than saying it's 50/50.

I already explained why I think we should hang them. The idea that we can just say "but it was all just unconscious" after video evidence of committing a crime is absurd. We cannot have a justice system if we accept "it is unconscious" until proven to be conscious. And anyway, people are well-documented to collude in illegal ways and sending each other secret messages. There is no documented case of two people evolving unconscious mechanisms of passing signals semi-independently while being completely unaware of this, despite the fact that you can barely see each other in the mean time. All you could point to in support of this proposition were some vaguely related cases of pigeons and horses to support your "logical possibility." Doesn't that tell you something?
      George Carlin

#20 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-05, 20:02

View Postgwnn, on 2015-November-05, 17:38, said:

Really? I mean, really really, you don't know whether it is 1/99 or 99/1? You have absolutely no idea at all? Your best guess it just to shrug and say you have no idea? I mean, this is even worse than saying it's 50/50.

Well, at least I'm being honest.

The idea that we can just say "but it was all just unconscious" after video evidence of committing a crime is absurd.

And I wouldn't do that.

We cannot have a justice system if we accept "it is unconscious" until proven to be conscious.

Hmm. I thought "innocent until proven guilty" was the very foundation of our justice system. But I see what you mean: it's not always practical.

There is no documented case of two people evolving unconscious mechanisms of passing signals semi-independently while being completely unaware of this, despite the fact that you can barely see each other in the mean time.

We have natural language, which tends to be symmetric. And mirroring seems to be a well-documented psychological phenomenon. As for 'semi-independently', consider the fact that when a board is finished, every single detail about partner's hand is known in principle.

All you could point to in support of this proposition were some vaguely related cases of pigeons and horses to support your "logical possibility." Doesn't that tell you something?

The B-Z case is different from the F-S and F-N case in that people haven't even bothered to look for evidence that signals were transmitted; they (and now you) are willing to hang B-Z solely on evidence that signals were sent (emitted). So horses (Clever Hans, in particular) play no role here. I'm happy to be able to use Brogeland here instead of pigeons, since their role was which to debunk the view that since Balicki sometimes acts so unnaturally, he must be cheating.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users