• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-01, 16:11

Not sure if we were fixed on these 2, or there is actually blame around.

+300 with 1370 available.

-100 with all the field in +140 when hey open 4 with KQJxxxx and out.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-01, 17:27

the first one west. east has done pretty well imo. west should be able to picture something like that.

the second one unlucky. i don't like double with that shape, but at some point you have to shrug and act. for me 19 HCP is 'some point'.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-01, 17:50

I think on the first hand I would have bid something like 4D or 5D the first time round rather than 2H by East. Don't know how that would have helped particularly.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-01, 18:26

View Postwank, on 2015-November-01, 17:27, said:

the first one west. east has done pretty well imo. west should be able to picture something like that.

Wow really? I would never picture 7-card support with a singleton and AK and out after the 3 bid. If you don't like 4 or 5 the first time around, I think you got to bid 4 on the second round.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-01, 18:30

View Postcherdano, on 2015-November-01, 18:26, said:

Wow really? I would never picture 7-card support with a singleton and AK and out after the 3 bid. If you don't like 4 or 5 the first time around, I think you got to bid 4 on the second round.

at the 3d point isn't there a good chance on this bidding that partner's 4432 or 4342 and it's all rather sad? surely 4d forces to game and suggests slam which is rather excessive when you think partner has heart length opposite your xxx.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-November-01, 18:36

View Postwank, on 2015-November-01, 18:30, said:

at the 3d point isn't there a good chance on this bidding that partner's 4432 or 4342 and it's all rather sad? surely 4d forces to game and suggests slam which is rather excessive when you think partner has heart length opposite your xxx.

Possible I guess - but why would they have missed their 10-card club fit? Opener could have bid 3 with 2515.

I didn't think a 4 rebid is forcing - I have two cuebids to force, seems better to reserve 4 in competition for an invite with extra distribution.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-November-01, 18:44

On the first one, West has to get involved at some point.

When South announced spades, North passed. Then, South showed hearts. What the heck could possibly justify a pass in that context? Clear to bid, IMO, and probable cue 3S.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-November-01, 20:17

West needs to bid again at some point on hand # 1. Think about the bidding!

East has competed twice over 2 and 3 so must have a big fit. As someone pointed out, with a good hand and big fit, East might have jumped to 4 instead on bidding 3. But East doesn't know whether West really has or not.

Additionally, North sat for South's 2 , so is not likely to be stiff or void in . That means that East should be short in and be ruffing behind North if they both are short (if, maybe 2-2).

West can see that East/West have complimentary shortness. West also knows East is unaware of it. When it's there, the hands rate to take a lot of tricks in a contract on a crossruff.

West might bid 4 over 3 , but I could possibly see a pass not knowing for sure what East bid 3 on. But once East competes to 4 , I'd find it hard not to bid at least 5 with West's hand. In an uncontested auction, I think it would be difficult to reach slam.

The second hand looks more like a fix to me. It seems like every time you pass these hands, you'll find partner K10xxx(..) and 4 is lay down.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-November-01, 20:19

deleted

#10 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-01, 21:44

On the 1st hand East should bid 5d after 3h by south.

#11 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 00:01

West is ridiculous on hand 1 lol.

Hand 2, they got you by opening 3H instead of 4H. Don't see how everyone is +140 anyways, if they opened 3H and I had the west hand I doubt I'd double and pass 3S.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#12 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 03:05

On 1, West has completely mis-evaluated his hand, IMO. He has 2 first round controls and 2 second round controls - all of which seem to be working, whereas a normal minimum opening will often have half that. Give him, instead, something like KQJ3 6 J952 KQJ2 so he has a genuine minimum opening, and 4 is the limit. Since East has know way of knowing which hand West has, it must be up to West to make some show of strength here.

Number 2 looks like a fix to me.

#13 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 03:07

Both on hand 1.
East knows oppo have a fit somewhere so maybe 5 immediately. As for West, the bidding is consistent with partner being limited and probably short in the blacks. It's not inconceivable that games are making each way, so he should bid 5.

Unlucky on 2, the cards don't look to be lying well so maybe 4 tricks would be easier than 10.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 07:31

West on hand 1. The hand's offense kept getting better every time east bid, but west seemingly never reevaluated.

Fixed on hand 2. wdo
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 07:51

I don't like East's choices on the first hand and although West's double of 4H is clearly misguided, I would assign some blame to both players.

Hand 2 looks normal. Over 3H I would be tempted to try 3NT rather than double.

#16 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 09:56

West has badly misevaluated his hand imo. three hearts and akxxxx diamonds gives 11 tricks on any 2-1 trump break. I would certainly not have passed over 2S when I have an unbalanced hand with 4 card support and a singleton in their suit. You could easily hit Kx xxx AKxxx xxx - a totally normal 2h bid that might float 2S, and be cold for 11 tricks on a 2-2 diamond break?

I would have bid 3D as west and been strongly concerned that I was not doing enough, but I dont want to force to 5d or 3N and I lack other good options. Passing 2S is fairly ridiculous imo.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#17 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-09, 12:04

View PostFluffy, on 2015-November-01, 16:11, said:

Not sure if we were fixed on these 2, or there is actually blame around.

+300 with 1370 available.

That 3D bid by E described his hand perfectly, W should be able to bid 6D immediately!

This is the reason why people preempt.

-100 with all the field in +140 when hey open 4 with KQJxxxx and out.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users