Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deception vs. Technique Part score

#1 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-30, 23:18

Again, if not appropriate for this forum, please move to INT/ADV.

ACBL Regional. MP scoring. FWIW, Serious Newcomers vs. Moderately Bad Client and Pro.

Client leads J. Right or wrong, declarer wins K, no break in tempo.

Attacking , of course, but a deceptive 6 or the unblocking Q?

#2 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-31, 04:00

Deception is fine if the card played, say from equals, does not matter.
But when you prefer deception against technique there should be a rationale for preferring the "wrong" card.
What do you expect to gain by playing the six unless RHO holds a singleton ace of spades.
Do you want the defense to duck the A?
The defense will likely continue clubs whichever spade you play.
So what would be the point of playing the six except creating problems for you?
The Q by the way does not unblock anything it only avoids a blockage.

Rainer Herrmann

#3 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-31, 09:29

The Q of course. I don't see how the 6 could ever be right, maybe there is something I am missing.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-01, 08:41

If the spade suit breaks 33 or the T drops singleton/doubleton you pick up 4 spade tricks by starting with the Q and continuing the suit. If you start with the 6 what sort of play are you imagining that in any way shape or form is of benefit to you? This last question goes a long way to answering the OP any time one is thinking about applying deception vs brute force.

While playing low the the J (please not the "deceptive" K) wins 4 spades when the T is singe/double look at what happens when the spades break 33. If you continue with the K (smothering your Q) the defense merely wins the A and you can return to dummy in dia and set up your remaining spades but never get back to them. If you play low to the Q the defense ducks and once again you have managed to block the spade suit. Imagination is nice but look at the facts first.

#5 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-01, 11:26

View Postgszes, on 2015-November-01, 08:41, said:

If you start with the 6 what sort of play are you imagining that in any way shape or form is of benefit to you?

I did play low to the J, hoping to get client (and LHO) to hop up with her A from ATxx or similar.

What I got was more satisfying.

When Pro grabs his A, fires back the Q (showing 3, I presume) with the speed of light. And then client covers my J. After I cashed the Q first, obviously. s were 3-3 as a bonus and I lost only the A and 2 tricks in the round suits at the end.

Partner exploded that my play was horrible, but pro expressed some approval. I'm not sure.

Lately I have been a lot more unsure about a lot of bridge questions than I used to be. I hope this is a sign of advancing bridge play and not just advancing age.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users