Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

etiquette issues

#1 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-30, 10:47

I've been playing in the 'Acol Club' for some weeks now, it's been fairly free-and-easy with quite a lot of coming and going. No problem with that! One or two hands today got a bit problematic.

I would have thought that if I join a table and then my new partner doesn't ask me if their card is OK, I'll be expected to play my own convention?

PLaying IMPs I opened 1NT (12-14) and my partner responded with a 2D transfer. I don't use transfers and didn't realise, so I didn't bid the expected 2H. Then it got a bit silly and partner walked away from the table in the middle of bidding. Opponents had accepted, then rejected an UNDO but agreed to abort the hand, which was a generous act!

On another hand, with a different partner, we bid 3NT with my partner as declarer, opponents were able to run their suit and we were three down. With only two tricks to play partner - again - left the table. This may have been due to loss of connection, I don't know. But eventually a new partner joined, and I had to explain to him/her, apologetically, that I'd landed them in a minus score without their even having seen their hand! Will that deal count in that player's IMP average? What happens if you join a table part way through a hand?

On the whole all sort of problems arise if a player deserts during play. I recognise that this is considered rude on BBO, also that it's sometimes outside the player's control.

The ACOL club is meant to be fairly informal. What's the best compromise?

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-30, 12:42

"walked" hmm you made it sound like rl vs online. Online you need to look at the profile of your future partner before joining the table to see if you want to join. The player already seated has every reason to think your willing to play their profile unless otherwise advised. Good luck

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-30, 13:00

View Postoryctolagi, on 2015-October-30, 10:47, said:

I would have thought that if I join a table and then my new partner doesn't ask me if their card is OK, I'll be expected to play my own convention?
Possibly your expectation is no more, nor less, reasonable than that of your partner that you would be expected to play his convention if you did not ask him if your card is OK.

If anything, your decision to join that particular table is your choice, and not a decision that your partner influenced. In that context, on one reading of what is reasonable, you might be expected to bend to your partner's preference rather than the reverse. Not that there is a lot in it.

PLaying IMPs I opened 1NT (12-14) and my partner responded with a 2D transfer. I don't use transfers and didn't realise, so I didn't bid the expected 2H.

There are two factors to consider here:

1) Someone who can play transfers can usually play without. Perhaps under duress, but would be capable. Someone who prefers not to play transfers may well be incapable of variation. Most who learn transfers tend to convert. If each partner is aware of the other's preference (big if) then a sensible pair would assume no transfers if either one has that preference.

2) only a very small proportion of the population do not play transfers. If you have nothing else to go on, and can't be bothered to enquire, then it is sensible to assume that transfers are on (absent intervention, when all bets are off). Trouble is that it is such an overwhelming majority that assuming that transfers are on and not being bothered to enquire is not so heinous a crime. It is also a very frequent sequence, with a huge expected cost of a wrong assumption. In that background, were I minded not to play transfers I would, for my own protection, announce it up front to partner before he has a chance of guessing wrong.

Then it got a bit silly and partner walked away from the table in the middle of bidding.
Poor form but it happens. Just note for future reference, maybe flag an enemy, and move on.

Opponents had accepted, then rejected an UNDO but agreed to abort the hand, which was a generous act!

Common practice among the sensible players. Indeed they would probably have let you discuss it at the table mid auction had you asked.

On another hand, with a different partner, we bid 3NT with my partner as declarer, opponents were able to run their suit and we were three down. With only two tricks to play partner - again - left the table. This may have been due to loss of connection, I don't know. But eventually a new partner joined, and I had to explain to him/her, apologetically, that I'd landed them in a minus score without their even having seen their hand! Will that deal count in that player's IMP average? What happens if you join a table part way through a hand?
No it will only count against the hand originator. A good incentive to play it out, to get the hand into his record.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-01, 11:12

OK, I appreciate what you say about reading other playrs (partner esp) cards before sitting, but there often is very little time. In the Acol club a seat shows up as vacant and then fills within seconds! You have to pounce!

But no worries. I just don't like the idea of upsetting partner by not understanding their bids.

I think, if I ever found myself joining a table midway through playing a hand (other than as dummy) - without a clue as to what cards have been played up to then, I'd insist on a re-deal. It would only be fair to the others in any case.
Pete.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-November-01, 15:34

View Postoryctolagi, on 2015-November-01, 11:12, said:

OK, I appreciate what you say about reading other playrs (partner esp) cards before sitting, but there often is very little time. In the Acol club a seat shows up as vacant and then fills within seconds! You have to pounce!

If you can't check before sitting, then after sitting you should at least say whether you're playing your profie or partner's.

I think, if I ever found myself joining a table midway through playing a hand (other than as dummy) - without a clue as to what cards have been played up to then, I'd insist on a re-deal. It would only be fair to the others in any case.
Pete.

That's why we changed the MBC to put a robot in place of someone who leaves in the middle of the hand. But we don't do this in other bridge clubs.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-01, 17:57

View Postoryctolagi, on 2015-November-01, 11:12, said:

Pete.
*Insisting* on anything where you are new to a table of which you are not the host is not likely to be productive, nor helpful for your blood pressure. You could put in a request, and most of the time a reasonable table would accept it. But if not, just do your best on the info available. It is just one hand, it will not count toward your stats, and it will probably be faster to complete the hand than to argue about it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users