• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB Takes Pointless Finesse

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-October-27, 15:59

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-27, 16:37

Yes it does this a lot. Blind faith in opponents' bidding within described constraints.

It might as well take a practice finesse that it perceives to be 100% odds-on to succeed, as you cannot have the 8+ HCP "promised" for your 1S overcall unless you hold the Diamond King.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-01, 13:01

I am sure that Jack is correct. And I have heard that it is difficult, if not impossible, to change GIB's card play parameters. But it seems to me that GIB can never be taken seriously as a bridge-playing program if it makes insane errors like this. Is it really impossible to program GIB to take its certain tricks when those amount to ALL the remaining tricks? Why should it ever take the slightest unnecessary chance?

I imagine it is more than just GIB choosing between "equal" plays. Did all GIB declarers in this contract play the same way? This implies that the programming makes it somehow more attractive to take the unnecessary finesse, as if to prove GIB can really count points accurately.

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-02, 14:31

GIB recovered nicely by not taking the practice spade finesse later in the hand. :)

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-03, 09:37

View Postiandayre, on 2015-November-01, 13:01, said:

I imagine it is more than just GIB choosing between "equal" plays. Did all GIB declarers in this contract play the same way? This implies that the programming makes it somehow more attractive to take the unnecessary finesse, as if to prove GIB can really count points accurately.

This hand was played in MBC. Have settings been changed such that GIB now uses the same seed number for a particular board at all tables? At one time the situation was that GIB would behave consistently given consistent circumstances in tournaments but not necessarily in MBC.

All GIB-Easts who declared 6 in uncontested auctions made their contracts. All 3 whose South overcalled 1 took the unnecessary finesse. At two tables, South bid Michaels instead of 1; at one of them South didn't lead A and declarer made his contract, but and at the table where A was led, East again took the unnecessary finesse. If the seed numbers are still random, this may be enough empirical evidence to suggest that GIB "prefers" taking the unnecessary finesse, otherwise not enough to conclude either way.

#6 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-18, 18:07

Sorry, I'm late to this thread. Is this a basic bot?

I can't recall a premium bot making this kind of play, but obviously my memory may be faulty.

I remember screwing around with "Just Play Bridge" and GIB was declaring 3NT with a suit combo of KQJx opposite AT8. It ran the 8, losing. It was literally the only way the bot could have lost a trick in the suit. I laughed a lot.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users