Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tournament list fails to load

#1 User is offline   bobade 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-October-25, 19:28

When I click on "List All Tournaments", it is fairly frequent that BBO hangs up on "Loading Tournament List - Please Wait". When this occurs, the Refresh button accomplishes nothing. If I wait long enough, the tournament list may refresh automatically.

I'm using Windows 7. This problem occurs with Chrome, IE and Opera. BBO support had me clear the browser cache and also "delete all sites" from Adobe Flash (accessed from the Control Panel in Windows, but this accomplished nothing. I also tried a brand new installation of Opera with newly installed Flash to no avail. This is a problem which has been occurring over the past few weeks, after years of trouble free BBO service.

Any ideas?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-26, 09:31

I checked our log, and I see us responding correctly to the tourney list requests.

How good is your connection -- how many bars do you have in the top right corner?

#3 User is offline   bobade 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-October-26, 21:24

View Postbarmar, on 2015-October-26, 09:31, said:

I checked our log, and I see us responding correctly to the tourney list requests.

How good is your connection -- how many bars do you have in the top right corner?

Thanks for the reply, barmar.

Using Chrome, I get 3 bars for about 10 seconds and then 4 bars continuously thereafter. I am using a 2 year old desktop computer with Windows 7 and an Ethernet connection to a router; speedtest shows 30/30, which is just what Frontier Communications advertised. The computer has no other problem. I get similar BBO problems using Opera as I do with Chrome.

Not only does loading the tournament list sometimes hang. Other BBO sites sometimes hang, too. For example, the initial bridgebase.com site frequently loads part way (the first 5 lines) and then sits chugging away, trying to complete loading, and even the bridgebase.com/forums page sometimes will not load. There has never been a problem with play, other than my own stupid mistakes :)

Before replying, I removed Chrome and reinstalled. No change. Also, I exited my antivirus and firewall. No change.

Interestingly, my 5 year old laptop, which is now running Windows 10, when connected to the same network via Ethernet (wifi off) works perfectly at times my desktop hangs up.

I've compared the LAN adapter properties and can't see any meaningful difference (though I'm not an expert).

It sounds like a problem with my computer, but I'm stymied figuring it out. Do you have any more ideas about how to troubleshoot?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-27, 10:21

It definitely sounds like an issue with that computer. It's not a Flash problem, because it also affects the bridgebase.com page, which is just ordinary HTML. But I'm not sure what to suggest to diagnose it -- this needs assistance from a Windows troubleshooting expert, and I'm a Mac/Unix guy. I can't think of a reason why it only affects our site, not other sites. If it were a network connectivity issue, it would affect both the desktop and laptop.

#5 User is offline   bobade 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-October-31, 10:44

The solution, for anyone with the same or similar problem, is to update your internet connection drivers. In my case, this was a LAN adapter, but it could also be a wireless adapter, depending on how you are connecting to the internet.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users