BBO Discussion Forums: What can you figure out? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What can you figure out? Somewhat weird, hope you'll play along.

#1 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2015-October-25, 07:48

You are called to a table to stand in for a player that has fallen ill and has left. All players are strong, and it is a serious tournament.

The bidding so far:

1 - (Pass) - 11 - (Pass)
12 - (D) - ???

1: Transfer to spades, shows 4+
2: At most three spades

You now ask for the meaning of the double, and get the answer:

It shows an honour in spades, and is very unlikely to have more than three cards in the suit.

You might ask a few more questions, but the opponents will call the (competent) TD for advice, who will rule that you have gotten all the information you are entitled to.

What are your thoughts now? And if you come to a conclusion, what are you allowed to do?

(I post in this forum because I want people with knowledge of the laws to respond. But all are welcome to respond, naturally.)

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-October-25, 08:42

[Failure "to play along" deleted]

> What are your thoughts now?
Opponents are playing a strange agreement on this auction. I imagine that they think the auction or the meaning of the calls is different from me.
> And if you come to a conclusion, what are you allowed to do?
I am allowed to do anything legal - I do not have UI - the TD told me that I have gotten all the information you are entitled to.

For an action to not be allowed, I have to have unauthorised information which suggests the action.

This post has been edited by RMB1: 2015-October-25, 08:54

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-25, 09:12

RMB1, on 2015-October-25, 08:42, said:

What are your thoughts now? Opponents are playing a strange agreement on this auction. I imagine that they think the auction or the meaning of the calls is different from me.

The opponents are all aware of the meaning of your bids, and they are not the sort of persons that suddenly takes a leave of their senses.

I know this all seems somewhat strange, but I promise that there will be an explanation that will make (some) sense.

Best Regards Ole Berg

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#4 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-26, 02:46

Legally you are in no way restricted in your choice among available calls.

You obviously had a plan for your next call already when making the 1 transfer bid, and in lack of other ideas I would in this position just make the call I had intended without the intervening double from RHO.

#5 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-30, 12:00

pran, on 2015-October-26, 02:46, said:

Legally you are in no way restricted in your choice among available calls.

You obviously had a plan for your next call already when making the 1 transfer bid, and in lack of other ideas I would in this position just make the call I had intended without the intervening double from RHO.

You didn't bid 1, the guy they carried out did. Anyway, you bid 1nt and gets to play there. But you might want to use the information from the bidding during declarer play. What do you make of the very strange explanation?

Best Regards Ole Berg

Gnasher

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-November-03, 09:53

OleBerg, on 2015-October-25, 07:48, said:

You are called to a table to stand in for a player that has fallen ill and has left. All players are strong, and it is a serious tournament. The bidding so far:
1 - (Pass) - 11 - (Pass)
12 - (Double3) - ???
  • Transfer to spades, shows 4+
  • At most three spades
  • It shows an honour in spades, and is very unlikely to have more than three cards in the suit.

You might ask a few more questions, but the opponents will call the (competent) TD for advice, who will rule that you have gotten all the information you are entitled to. What are your thoughts now? And if you come to a conclusion, what are you allowed to do? (I post in this forum because I want people with knowledge of the laws to respond. But all are welcome to respond, naturally.)
IMO
  • Opponents' explanation of their auction, especially of the double seems bizarre (You would expect the double to be T/O of s, possibly including a suit) but you still can assume it to be correct.
  • You should look at your own hand before deciding what to call :)
  • Agree with Pran and RMB1 that you can call what you like, unrestricted by UI. You might expect XX to be interested in penalties, pass waiting, other bids natural.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users