Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inappropriate chat during play?

#1 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-22, 06:47

Don't know whether I should stick my neck out here. Just been kibitzing a table on BBO and came across the following snippet of 'chat'. To protect identities, I have substituted 'North' 'South' 'East' and 'West' for the actual players' usernames.

south→Table: pd, pleas bid freely whatever most dangerous and stupid bid, BBO dealer guarantee you would find 5 trumps support and a couple of AK's in dummy
south→Table: np for 3NT, pass over dbl or whatever here?
south→Table: alsoo suppose trumps are friendly 6-0
south→Table: nise stupid crazy computer sadistic american idiot and his gay programers
west→Table: must learn to play with computer
south→Table: BBO dealer is very nice, punish every normal bid and award every stupid and crazy
north→Table: pls p
north→Table: no nervousse
south→Table: and no card onside for us
south→Table: I played with assumption that trumps are NOT SPLIT for ME, as ever on BBO
west→Table: as ever in all when u paly with 4-3!!!!!!!!!
south→Table: Is it forbiden? That is known Moisean fit, and I made even grand slams that way
north→Table: tup
south→Table: luck pd..and some cards
south→Table: claim
south→Table: no wish to play on hogher level
south→Table: PD, YOU LEARNED THAT UNDERLEADING AN aCE IS THEIR MAIN WEAPON!:
south→Table: Ha, ha, ha, **** that BBO dealer crazy idiot
(also removed expletive).

At this point I felt I'd had enough of kibitsing this table, so I quit. It looks as if South has anger management issues!

My point is, this is not really very nice for kibitzers who just happen upon a table by chance, expecting to see Bridge being played.... Do you monitor chat in any way?

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-22, 07:13

View Postoryctolagi, on 2015-October-22, 06:47, said:

Don't know whether I should stick my neck out here. Just been kibitzing a table on BBO and came across the following snippet of 'chat'. To protect identities, I have substituted 'North' 'South' 'East' and 'West' for the actual players' usernames.
(also removed expletive).

At this point I felt I'd had enough of kibitsing this table, so I quit. It looks as if South has anger management issues!

My point is, this is not really very nice for kibitzers who just happen upon a table by chance, expecting to see Bridge being played.... Do you monitor chat in any way?

Please report these cases to abuse@bridgebase.com and they'll kick out the rude players.

Edit: I was wrong about who this person was. Turned out it's not the returning offender I was thinking about, but someone else. Anyway, abuse is on the case.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-October-23, 00:06

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-22, 07:16

No, they don't monitor chat. If a player chats offensively, you can report that, and perhaps he will be suspended or banned.

But the chat you quote is not abusive, just bonkers.

edit: crossposted with diana. Apparently this particular guy is a repeat offender. And interesting that they don't need a username - apparently chat is recorded and is searchable?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-22, 07:19

View Postbillw55, on 2015-October-22, 07:16, said:

No, they don't monitor chat. If a player chats offensively, you can report that, and perhaps he will be suspended or banned.

There is a profanity filter in place (with some restrictions and settings that I'm not really familiar with, and should probably not be disclosed anyway), and there are some automated abusive chat reports, but otherwise Abuse relies greatly on other players to report offensive chat.

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-22, 07:30

And interesting that they don't need a username - apparently chat is recorded and is searchable?

As of September 2012 chat is recorded, but only used to investigate abuse issues: http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1324

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-October-23, 00:14

#6 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-22, 09:38

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-October-22, 07:13, said:

Please report these cases to abuse@bridgebase.com and they'll kick out the rude players.
Thanks. Will do.

Bonkers - agreed. But, like most people, I regard homophobic remarks as also abusive.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-22, 09:58

I am surprised that people this stupid actually know how to play bridge. I thought the game required at least some intelligence...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-22, 12:03

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-October-22, 09:58, said:

I am surprised that people this stupid actually know how to play bridge. I thought the game required at least some intelligence...

Rik

Is there some indication he knows how to play? I mean, the BBO interface is designed so that only legal actions are clickable. A toddler could do it.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-22, 14:26

View Postbillw55, on 2015-October-22, 12:03, said:

Is there some indication he knows how to play? I mean, the BBO interface is designed so that only legal actions are clickable. A toddler could do it.

In terms of going through the mechanics, yes I think you're right. Certainly you can't underbid, or bid or lead out of turn. I'm not sure if BBO lets you revoke - haven't put it to the test - but almost certainly you can't.

But it does appear that the individual in question, has some skill: I watched the table for a few hands before I gave up. What a pity that his/her skill at cards is not matched by their skill at conversation... :unsure:

#10 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2015-October-22, 14:34

south→Table: nise stupid crazy computer sadistic american idiot and his gay programers

Absolutely brilliant.

#11 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-23, 09:52

View Postnullve, on 2015-October-22, 14:34, said:

Absolutely brilliant.
I like the way, north pleads with his partner to 'cool it'... Perhaps north should think about getting a new partner?

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-23, 10:26

Personally, I like to have a bit of fun with the conspiracy types. Claim I have a secret code to hack the hands, etc. Can be amusing.
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-23, 11:11

TBH, I'm more bothered about the possibility of cheating via the chat. It would be very easy for, say, a partnership to devise a secret 'code' via the chat messages. I just hope that doesn't happen - or if it does, it gets detected and pounced upon immediately! Personally, in the short time that I've taken part on BBO, I've confined my chat during play to mostly the stock phrases like "glp" and "wpp" ("Good luck/well played, partner") etc. which can't be suspected of anything.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-23, 12:05

View Postoryctolagi, on 2015-October-23, 11:11, said:

TBH, I'm more bothered about the possibility of cheating via the chat. It would be very easy for, say, a partnership to devise a secret 'code' via the chat messages. I just hope that doesn't happen - or if it does, it gets detected and pounced upon immediately! Personally, in the short time that I've taken part on BBO, I've confined my chat during play to mostly the stock phrases like "glp" and "wpp" ("Good luck/well played, partner") etc. which can't be suspected of anything.

There are many ways to cheat, it is trivially easy. I don't worry about it since there is nothing I can do about it anyway.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   ladydoc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-November-06, 18:04

Cheating by chat is so trivial.
I know one person who plays with himself every single day.
He calls his other selves by different names, depending on the day.
No two of his other selves are on at the same time. He even chats with himself.
Its easy to trip him up when he's kibitzing himself, while he plays with other people though.
I don't know what BBO can do about it... but after awhile it becomes apparent to players on BBO who is who...
It is rather disappointing to find out that that player who you thought was always perfect was "two-timing".

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-07, 21:11

Report them to abuse@bridgebase.com. We can try to ban all his nyms.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users