• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Chess,Scrabble,Bridge

Posted 2015-October-16, 00:59

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-October-15, 20:10, said:

Did I accidentally click on the watercooler? *shudders*

One of your best comments. :D
Aniruddha
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius".

#23 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-16, 01:09

View PostVampyr, on 2015-October-15, 16:22, said:

I would be less generous with welfare. You can stay on the dole forever if you choose not to work, and receive housing benefit on top of that.

I'm not saying that you get loads of money, but it is enough to live on, and a lot of people choose this life.

Have you started reading the Daily Mail?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-16, 04:36

I always wanted Bridge to be recognized as sport. After recent cheat scandals, the way WBF EBL acted, politics involved even before we become and recognized as a sport, plus how some political views by some governments tried to be injected to Bridge players, including the country I was born, changed my mind totally.

Instead I decided Bridge can be a sport without having any ties to anybody. We do not need to be recognized as such by others. If we do and this means NBOs will be dependent to sports ministry, which is a part of the government, we will be forced to pull into world politics. There will come a day your government will tell you who you can and who you can not play against. Even worse if you are living in an islamic country, they will get their nose all the way into what kind of clothes you are allowed to wear in international competitions while you represent them. When you get caught with THC in your system, which is definitely not a performance enhancer, you will be put in same category with someone who cheated their @$$ off for decades.

It of course has some financial benefit off of it. But I prefer our freedom as a bridge community. It has already been stretched. I have no sympathy to those countries who denies to play against Israel and WBF allows this bs. If your freedom is compromised down to the level that you simply can not follow the laws of a game, you should not be part of it. My personal opinion, if your freedom is compromised down to level, bridge should not even be your priority and you should be fighting for something which is more important. Not for your right to be in competition that you can not complete fully.

If my country was Netherlands, U.K, Sweden etc, no problem. We have too many countries in the world that making Bridge an official sport will be a burden on people who loves the game.

Think about it. We are not a recognized sport. Yet we saw recently that WBF EBL can do things without giving any reasons. Let's just don't put governments at the top of all this bs. Nothing good comes out of it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-16, 05:32

View Postgordontd, on 2015-October-16, 01:09, said:

Have you started reading the Daily Mail?

LOL if only they had a good cryptic crossword...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-16, 08:44

What's the point of this?

The offering of a few questionable definitions?

I don't get it.

#27 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-October-16, 09:42

View PostCaitlynne, on 2015-October-16, 08:44, said:

What's the point of this?

The offering of a few questionable definitions?

I don't get it.

Have you read this thread? The point is financial.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#28 User is offline   microcap 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-16, 10:19

The best definition of a "sport" versus a "game" was given to me by a Canadian chum of mine while discussing curling during the last Olympics. He said, "If you can gain weight while playing it, it's not a sport!" And we all know where bridge falls LOLL :lol: :lol:

You'd be amazed at the quantity of beer and doughnuts you can consume while chasing that whirling thing down the ice...

#29 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-16, 10:55

View Postmicrocap, on 2015-October-16, 10:19, said:

The best definition of a "sport" versus a "game" was given to me by a Canadian chum of mine while discussing curling during the last Olympics. He said, "If you can gain weight while playing it, it's not a sport!" And we all know where bridge falls LOLL :lol: :lol:

You'd be amazed at the quantity of beer and doughnuts you can consume while chasing that whirling thing down the ice...

I always thought calling Competitive Eating a sport seemed a little stupid.
Wayne Somerville

#30 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-16, 16:19

View Postel mister, on 2015-October-15, 08:09, said:

Sport England (the administrative body for sports funding) had let a few soft ones through such as darts and snooker, so probably felt they needed to draw a line in the sand. Otherwise you'll end up with dungeons and dragons players asking for VAT relief.

What, pray tell, is wrong with that? B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#31 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-October-16, 16:48

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-October-16, 16:19, said:

What, pray tell, is wrong with that? B-)

Yeah, I really don't see why the government should get a cut of D&D entries.

#32 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-16, 17:06

Virgil 1 is timeo et dona ferentes,

#33 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-October-18, 16:37

View PostMrAce, on 2015-October-16, 04:36, said:

I have no sympathy to those countries who denies to play against Israel and WBF allows this bs.

Do you have sympathy for Israel refusing to go to some countries because they can't get extra-super-special treatment there?

Anyway, at least according to German laws, the freedom is already an illusion, courts can fool around with Bridge whether it's a sport or not.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#34 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-October-19, 16:57

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-October-16, 10:55, said:

I always thought calling Competitive Eating a sport seemed a little stupid.

Actually the top competitive eaters are quite fit.

#35 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-October-19, 17:04

View Postmicrocap, on 2015-October-16, 10:19, said:

Clients and 80 year-olds are winning national championships.
The World Championships are playing 48 boards a day during the knockout stage. If bridge wants to be a sport they must play 80 boards a day.
Olympics will never accept bridge. No money from spectators. Bridge players wont watch bridge. ESPN showed Scrabble once, but never bridge.

#36 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-19, 17:43

View Postjogs, on 2015-October-19, 16:57, said:

Actually the top competitive eaters are quite fit.

I don't doubt that from what little I've ever seen of it, but can you really say you're losing weight while doing it?
Wayne Somerville

#37 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-19, 21:17

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-October-18, 16:37, said:

Do you have sympathy for Israel refusing to go to some countries because they can't get extra-super-special treatment there?

If this is exactly the reason why they did not go there, then my answer is NO.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#38 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-October-20, 00:38

As far as I understood, the Israeli ministry of foreign affairs asked for some basic information on security from the hotel resort, exactly to avoid getting "extra super special treatment" in a city where one of the bloodiest terror attack happened about 10 years ago. The organisers and the hotel resort did not reply to any of the requests (they did not refuse, just refused to write anything).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#39 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-October-20, 03:36

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-October-18, 16:37, said:

Or for the US team that wouldn't play in Turkey, for that matter. There were also some obstacles with the visas although it could probably be resolved.

It is a bit different, though. A team can decide not to go to an event for any reason they might have. But once you decide to participate, you have an obligation to play your sheduled matches.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#40 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-October-27, 10:57

Are you talking about Israel not goig to Bali? Israel did indeed get a special treatment there, because Indonesia doesn't recognice Israel as a country.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users