BBO Discussion Forums: EU Commissioner: “I do not take my mandate from the European people.” - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EU Commissioner: “I do not take my mandate from the European people.”

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-October-14, 02:29

When put to her, Malmström acknowledged that a trade deal has never inspired such passionate and widespread opposition. Yet when I asked the trade commissioner how she could continue her persistent promotion of the deal in the face of such massive public opposition, her response came back icy cold: “I do not take my mandate from the European people.”

http://www.independe...t-a6690591.html
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-14, 04:15

Wow, TTIP is so unbelievably bad. And we have no say in the matter... If the UK does not have an opt-out available, then there will be no question of a "yes" vote on the referendum. IF enough people hear about it.

Thanks, Michael, for bringing it to our attention. Now can you do the same for everyone else in Europe?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-14, 04:21

UK will almost certainly opt for TTIP anyway, even if they were to leave the EU. See for example http://leftfootforwa...e-trade-deals/. (OK, it may be possible to find a more objective source than leftfoodforward).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-October-14, 04:28

View PostVampyr, on 2015-October-14, 04:15, said:

Thanks, Michael, for bringing it to our attention. Now can you do the same for everyone else in Europe?

I wish I could!

Funny, really, I've been hearing about TTIP regularly for a year or so already, but I guess that's due to how I source my information. It's quite unfathomable to me how many people are still completely in the dark.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-October-14, 04:34

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-October-14, 04:28, said:

I wish I could!

Funny, really, I've been hearing about TTIP regularly for a year or so already, but I guess that's due to how I source my information. It's quite unfathomable to me how many people are still completely in the dark.

Well that is exactly the way they want it.

I had never posted anything on Facebook until today.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-October-14, 04:41

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-October-14, 04:21, said:

UK will almost certainly opt for TTIP anyway, even if they were to leave the EU. See for example http://leftfootforwa...e-trade-deals/. (OK, it may be possible to find a more objective source than leftfoodforward).

Oh Lord.

ISDS is such a cynical pandering to corporate lobbyists against the public interest. I predict that tobacco companies are going to get a huge settlement due to the loss in their profits caused by the UK ban on smoking indoors in public places.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-14, 11:04

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-October-14, 04:28, said:

I wish I could!

I can imagine a lot of people are still in the dark, but at least in the Netherlands they owe that to themselves. TTIP pops up regularly in the media here: newspapers, radio, national TV discussion programs, the news at 7, 8 as well as the news specially aimed at 18-35 year olds.

Those who only watch Dancing with the stars, Who wants to be a supermodel?, Dr. Phil and the odd soccer game probably think that TTIP is the next generation internet.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-October-14, 13:03

If left unhindered, will the current state of worldwide income inequality lead to some type of commoners revolt in this century or the next?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users