BBO Discussion Forums: GIB *always* splits honors in trump suit - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB *always* splits honors in trump suit allows humans to game it

#1 User is offline   goffster 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-11, 14:10

If I hold

AJTxx
opposite
xxxx

If I lead a low to AJTxx, and lefty does not fly queen, then i know it does not have KQx.
(from experience)

Therefore it is always right for me to play the ace with the current incarnation of GIB

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-October-11, 21:16

Yes, that is the way GIB works, it assumes double-dummy play. A matter of fundamental design.

What's your point?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-12, 02:22

View Postgoffster, on 2015-October-11, 14:10, said:

If I hold

AJTxx
opposite
xxxx

If I lead a low to AJTxx, and lefty does not fly queen, then i know it does not have KQx.
(from experience)

Therefore it is always right for me to play the ace with the current incarnation of GIB

GIB also finds plays of honor in 2nd seat from Hx. I've had a situation when RHO gib did that, and I assumed RHO started with QJxx so chose a repeat finesse in favour of another (possibly better) line. Guess what, LHO held Jxxx.

So I don't think that one quirk alone gives declarer a definitive edge on all deals.

#4 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-12, 16:09

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-October-11, 21:16, said:

Yes, that is the way GIB works, it assumes double-dummy play. A matter of fundamental design.

What's your point?

Does it do this completely? i.e. When I lead to AQT in dummy AFAIK GIB doesn't randomly play honours with King Jack as it would if it thought you were always going to double finesse.

In any case I think it's pretty obvious what OP's point is.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#5 User is offline   goffster 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-12, 18:20

GIB does not *have* to assume double dummy play.
There could be some cases where it recognizes certain combinations
where splitting honors is inane.

#6 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-13, 10:39

View Postgoffster, on 2015-October-11, 14:10, said:

If I hold

AJTxx
opposite
xxxx

(from experience)

A corollary to this is that, in 4th hand, GIB never falsecards with equal honors. If you are playing to the AJT and RHO wins the K, you can be 100% certain that the second finesse will succeed. This applies equally to QJ and JT combinations. Interesting that the programmers allowed this weakness while GIB makes falsecards extensively - sometimes to its own detriment - in other situations

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-13, 11:49

I recall seeing something in the code where it randomizes which card of equals to play, to force declarer to use restricted choice. But for some reason I don't think it's done in the case where it's winning in 4th seat.

I've occasionally seen it not split. Last night I was in 4 with JT85 in dummy opposite A96 in hand. East had KQ7432. I ran dummy's 8 and it held, East playing the 7. Of course, when West showed out, this was a pyrrhic victory.

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-13, 21:10

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-October-11, 21:16, said:

I would call it a fundamental misdesign :) Maybe you can find examples where sacrificing honors and high spot cards is necessary, but my guess is that it is at least 10 to 1 a losing play.

#9 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-20, 14:19

Well, so much for that theory. I also thought your point was valid.

http://tinyurl.com/q9yr37x

Note E did not split the C honors.

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-20, 14:48

View Postiandayre, on 2015-October-20, 14:19, said:

Well, so much for that theory. I also thought your point was valid.

http://tinyurl.com/q9yr37x

Note E did not split the C honors.

Maybe East was worried that West might hold Jackleton, and swapping the J and T it might have split. Be interesting to know if it covers J lead from North
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users