• Group: Members

Posted 2015-October-02, 11:03

We were playing simple blackwood.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-October-04, 11:32
Reason for edit: removed names

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-October-02, 11:14

Either your partner thought spades could be trumps or it's a relay for you to bid 5NT.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   nicebbo 

• Pip

Posted 2015-October-02, 11:24

Just after I bid 5nt, my p(401221) said "part yr a BEGINNER ? not my level ? so please LEAVE THE GAME?????" "[host]? please boot him ot me???????"
And then I was removed by the host after my hand was exposed. I still don't know what happened. Did I make a stupid bid?

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-October-04, 11:32
Reason for edit: removed names

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-October-02, 11:44

The person who bids 4N Blackwood is in charge (this is called being the Captain) if they said 5 you should respect that and pass.

Now, they should have a self-sufficient long spade suit to bid 5, which he does not as nothing has said you have any .

Also, is wrong for opener to jump to 4N, there is no reason they should think slam is possible they just have a normal hand except for the heart void. After you bid 2 his hand is actually worse and if missing an ace will not know if missing the A for slam purposes, due to the void. So, bidding 4N is a very bad bid.

So, what should opener bid over 2, they should bid 3 to look for a fit. After you then bid 3N with well stopped, ending auction.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-02, 12:36

I don't think that the host emerges with any credit. Booted the wrong player.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-02, 13:14

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-October-02, 12:36, said:

I don't think that the host emerges with any credit. Booted the wrong player.

Definitely agree.

nicebbo, don't worry about this too much. Some people on BBO are jerks. Just ignore them and play with someone else.

Technically, your partner's bidding does mean that he wants to play in 5, and so you should pass. Although, I suspect he would also criticize you for that.

Interestingly, 5NT is a much better contract than 5. I doubt your partner or the host noticed this.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-October-02, 15:17

I once got booted for passing thruout opps bidding then sacking in 5 after they bid game. They didnt think I was playing nice in their sandbox lol.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   hevnandhel 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-October-02, 16:58

For what it's worth, nicebbo, I have observed your 'partner' making a significant number of actions that I considered to be poor (at best) in other instances, and as noted by others in this thread, their actions on this hand are not good from either a bridge or manners perspective.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-October-02, 21:12

Partner took control of the auction with the 4 NT bid. Presumably partner is checking on the number of As or keycards to avoid bidding slam with too few. So you should pass 5 as that's where partner has decided to play it. For all you know partner's hand might have solid long and 5 I cold.

Your partner misbid the hand as a jump to 4 NT is totally unwarranted. 3 NT is where you belong. 5 NT may make if the opponent's don't lead . 5 is destined to go down. You'll reach 3 NT if your partner a more normal bid. I like the following auction --

1 - 2
2 - 3
3 NT

Your partner remarks were totally unwarranted. But it's not unusual for some players to think they know more than they do and make a fuss. I think you'll find that the better players will rarely make comments on their partner's bids or plays except to possibly clear up a misunderstanding.

Hang in there, don't let this jerk poison your view of playing here. There are many pleasant people to play with here.

I think you did right coming here and asking about the auction. That shows a willingness to learn, which is perhaps the most important factor in getting better. Please don't be afraid to ask about anything you don't understand. As for you not being at this player's level, you don't want to be at this player's level because it isn't good.

#10 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-October-03, 09:29

Put this PD on your enemy list so you avoid sitting across from him in the future. His jump to 4NT with a void(your suit) and 15 HCP is off the charts insane!

That combined with him not being pleasant means you should avoid him.

#11 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-03, 10:16

Technically, 5S is a sign-off. Looking at the actual holding of your partner, it is clear that both the 4NT and 5S bids were poorly conceived.

#12 User is offline   zgrywus 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-October-03, 15:20

Steve2005 wrote: The person who bids 4N Blackwood is in charge (this is called being the Captain) if they said 5♠ you should respect that and pass.

Bilw55 wrote: Technically, your partner's bidding does mean that he wants to play in 5♠, and so you should pass.

Really? Always thought tt 4Nt agreed hearts in that sequence. If so 5 spades can not be passed.
Agreed w Bilw55: Booted the wrong player.

#13 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-03, 15:56

I will only add, nicebbo, that if your profile was the same then as it is now, it might've made people a little prickly.

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-October-03, 15:59

View Postzgrywus, on 2015-October-03, 15:20, said:

Always thought tt 4Nt agreed hearts in that sequence. If so 5 spades can not be passed.

Agree with the first sentence. The second is a bit iffy. I have played in partnerships where you could blackwood in one suit and sign out in another. It has actually come up to good effect, usually where you have the trump suit completely wrapped up but blackwood gives you a convenient route to asking about K/Q in a side suit. Not saying that it is standard. And def not something I would foist on a N/B player
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#15 User is offline   zgrywus 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-October-03, 16:10

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-October-03, 15:59, said:

Agree with the first sentence. The second is a bit iffy. I have played in partnerships where you could blackwood in one suit and sign out in another. It has actually come up to good effect, usually where you have the trump suit completely wrapped up but blackwood gives you a convenient route to asking about K/Q in a side suit. Not saying that it is standard. And def not something I would foist on a N/B player

Thx for reply. That was probably before 6 aces rkcb has been invented. :)

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-03, 16:12

View PostHanoi5, on 2015-October-02, 11:14, said:

Either your partner thought spades could be trumps or it's a relay for you to bid 5NT.

I don't think so. The relay to 5nt applies when we are past the 5-level of the (minor) trump suit and need to sign off in 5nt.

Hearts is trump so 5 should be some kind of control asking bid. In reality, of course it is a blame transfer. Whatever nicebbo does, his partner will say that the bad result is somehow nicebbo's fault. W might as well have bid 7nt which would also lead to a bad result, but then it would have been more difficult to blame it on nicebbo.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-October-03, 16:35

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-October-03, 16:12, said:

I don't think so. The relay to 5nt applies when we are past the 5-level of the (minor) trump suit and need to sign off in 5nt.

Hearts is trump so 5 should be some kind of control asking bid. In reality, of course it is a blame transfer. Whatever nicebbo does, his partner will say that the bad result is somehow nicebbo's fault. W might as well have bid 7nt which would also lead to a bad result, but then it would have been more difficult to blame it on nicebbo.
The irony is that they got a perfectly good result.

#18 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-04, 01:45

I always thought, that if you use Blackwood before a suit has been agreed, it carries an implication that you are agreeing partner's suit, in this case Hearts.

With a void.... :blink:

#19 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-04, 02:06

I thought they were playing simple Blackwood. There is no trump suit in simple Blackwood.

#20 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-October-04, 07:21

Do you think that 4nt, without a self sufficient spade suit, or a known fit and with your partner showing 10 points is the best possible description of your hand?
If not what bid does?
If so, why?

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users