Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another Grand Who's more to blame here?

#1 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-25, 23:31

At least we had no reason to fear that the other table would find the grand.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-26, 01:42

I would be very tempted just to bid 7D over 6D with the East hand. Can West really have a 6D bid missing AK, AK and first round heart control? However, having said that, both players were lazy. 5D is a big underbid, I prefer 4H. I think West owes partner a 5H bid too.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 01:54

again very hard very hard hand..

hate 5d....

hate 6d over 5d prefer 5h

again very hard hand...hate all the bidding but hard

#4 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-26, 09:15

View Postmike777, on 2015-September-26, 01:54, said:

hate 5d....

Me too, but what else? 4H sounds like support for all strains or short s. 4NT-ish style previously led to disaster with this partnership. 6D is about right on values, but there could easily be 2 fast losers.

View Postmike777, on 2015-September-26, 01:54, said:

hate 6d over 5d prefer 5h

My thinking also, but it is always easier to spot partner's mistakes than one's own.

#5 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-September-26, 09:35

But seriuosly: after 5 showing longness and suit should not start rkb for diamond with 5 ? And the answer is not 6(=2 keys w/o Q) ? Then an eventual query for Kings could get to realize 7 NT.(Lovera)

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-September-27, 12:03

Some questions come to mind --

How good is the West hand? Is it good enough to double and show both suits? Or, should West start out with a simple 3 bid?

Is some sort of Michaels bid available? If so, is West's hand good enough to make it?

West definitely has a lot point wise and it counts to 4 losers LTC-wise. But having one of the hand's two suits headed by QJ and out is concern. Despite the point count and losers, I'm not so sure the hand is up to doubling and bidding both suits. Ditto for a Michael type bid if one is available. Also, if you double, would you be concerned should partner pass? I think that is a consideration. So, this may be one of those hands where a simple overcall works best.

Let's look at a possible sequence --

West------East

3 ------ 4

East just can't sit for 3 , so 4 . If West rebids spades over 4 , then I think East passes and hopes for the best as West has then shown 6+ length. If West hasn't fallen off his chair because of East's bid, then West's next action is clear -- show the control. It must agree and at this level show a 1st round control. Also, with the big fit, the main worry is two possible losers or possibly a loser and a loser.

4 ------ 5

East certainly loves West's control and will cooperate in control bidding toward slam. But there's a concern about how West might interpret 4 at this point. Might West interpret it as big double fit or a missing honor? East can't know for sure. So showing the control seems safer. It might also any questions West might have about the remaining side suit. This is also important because of the limited bidding space.

5 NT ----- 7

From West's point of view, it looks like 13 tricks may be available if East sits up West's and ruffs losers in West's hand. Also East might be able to pitch any losers on West's . If all else fails, there might have a double Squeeze with South stopping , North stopping and both potentially stopping if East has at least one. At worst, if East holds AJ, it could come down to a finesse into the long hand. So, 5 NT GSF seems like a good bet. East bids the grand holding 2 high honors.

#7 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-September-27, 12:26

View Postrmnka447, on 2015-September-27, 12:03, said:

Some questions come to mind --

How good is the West hand? Is it good enough to double and show both suits? Or, should West start out with a simple 3 bid?

Is some sort of Michaels bid available? If so, is West's hand good enough to make it?

West definitely has a lot point wise and it counts to 4 losers LTC-wise. But having one of the hand's two suits headed by QJ and out is concern. Despite the point count and losers, I'm not so sure the hand is up to doubling and bidding both suits. Ditto for a Michael type bid if one is available. Also, if you double, would you be concerned should partner pass? I think that is a consideration. So, this may be one of those hands where a simple overcall works best.

Let's look at a possible sequence --

West------East

3 ------ 4

East just can't sit for 3 , so 4 . If West rebids spades over 4 , then I think East passes and hopes for the best as West has then shown 6+ length. If West hasn't fallen off his chair because of East's bid, then West's next action is clear -- show the control. It must agree and at this level show a 1st round control. Also, with the big fit, the main worry is two possible losers or possibly a loser and a loser.

4 ------ 5

East certainly loves West's control and will cooperate in control bidding toward slam. But there's a concern about how West might interpret 4 at this point. Might West interpret it as big double fit or a missing honor? East can't know for sure. So showing the control seems safer. It might also any questions West might have about the remaining side suit. This is also important because of the limited bidding space.

5 NT ----- 7

From West's point of view, it looks like 13 tricks may be available if East sits up West's and ruffs losers in West's hand. Also East might be able to pitch any losers on West's . If all else fails, there might have a double Squeeze with South stopping , North stopping and both potentially stopping if East has at least one. At worst, if East holds AJ, it could come down to a finesse into the long hand. So, 5 NT GSF seems like a good bet. East bids the grand holding 2 high honors.

Ok, it how my idea one level before. Although about eventually squeeze perhaps you must consider heart and spade as unilaterals and club as indeterminate(=double) menace in a reciprocal equilibrate ending with club recessed.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-27, 13:53

Both players were lazy but west not bidding 5 tips the scales for me. Must have been a speedball and behind on the clock to be THAT lazy.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-27, 21:04

I mean, wow, I can imagine not getting to 7 pretty easily here, but both players basically gave up?

East has an easy 4h bid followed by 5D. 4H just shows a single suited slam try somewhere imo. West, over this, is going to go absolutely bonkers. He will probably bid 4N, as a kind of waiting bid, and when partner bids 5D to show diamonds he can just bid 7. He might bid 5H on the way, but honestly, what is the point?

West even after a 5D bid has been a bit pathetic. give partner three small hearts, AKxxxx diamonds and the club ace and you are just completely cold all of the time. Would I gamble 7? not sure, but am very close to it, I would probably try 5H first, when partner shows a spade void, Ill try 5N next, partner will bid 6C and that will be enough for me to bid 7 for sure.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-28, 09:03

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-September-27, 21:04, said:

I would probably try 5H first, when partner shows a spade void, Ill try 5N next, partner will bid 6C and that will be enough for me to bid 7 for sure.

I agree with all of your post except that East should bid the grand over 5nt and you might miss this grand (never easily) if 1 player bids lazily, never if neither does.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-September-30, 14:12

How can East not bid 6 over the double? He could try 4 in the hopes of finding a club fit, but other than that setting for game is betting on something very odd as 2 quick heart losers. A real bad bet.

Seriously, you have no loser except your 3 small where partner has promised to be short. You make slam opposite a 4144 with Q and nothing else, how can you settle for game when partner is suposed to have much more?

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-01, 09:00

A little surprised no one has mentioned the possibility of overcalling 4 yet. Is NLM in a phase of low popularity? In any case, the worst call is surely 5, almost anything else is going to work out better.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#13 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-01, 10:13

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-October-01, 09:00, said:

A little surprised no one has mentioned the possibility of overcalling 4 yet. Is NLM in a phase of low popularity? In any case, the worst call is surely 5, almost anything else is going to work out better.

I somewhat assumed OP would have mentioned it if they were playing NLM.
Wayne Somerville

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-October-02, 10:18

I upvoted Gonzalo's post but will add a thought or two.

Phil mentioned that 4 by East would show a strong single suit. I disagree. 4 shows a good hand....that's it. What else is East to do with a 2-suiter too strong to just bid/guess game?

As it is, looking at AK/AK and three hearts, to bid just 5 is extremely timid. Yes, partner 'could' hold two heart losers or even Kx and see the second heart ruffed, but the odds are against it, and our minors are such that we will miss a lot of slams. AKxx x Qxxx QJxx, do we really expect partner to raise?

Once East has bid 5, then for west to bid a meek 6 is almost as soft as east's action. Note that West cannot argue that it is all east's fault. Make east's hand xx xxx AKxxxx Ax, and 5 is very logical, and grand is still cold. As it happens, since both underbid, they had several overtricks available in the grand :P

West has the world's easiest 5 call, over which even the ultra-conservative East would surely wake up and the partnership would reach the grand.

I would be embarrassed to miss this one, playing with a good partner.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-October-02, 11:42

For the record, when I looked at East's hand over the double I saw 10-11 sure tricks. If someone made same initial approach and counted 14 HCP somehow, you are doing it very badly.

#16 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-02, 17:24

Thanks for asking about a missed grand that is actually a good contract :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users