Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SAYC - forcing SAYC bidding system verification

#1 User is offline   wzhong 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-25, 22:41

New to the forum. Played bridge via BBO for a while. I am using SAYC bidding system. Just like to confirm what is correct for bidding since someone raised concern of these.

1) Open 1H, respond 2S (weak with 6 card suit), opener bid 3C, Is it force? or you can pass if no support.

2) Open 1S, respond 2D, Opener bid 2S (5 cards with low points? or 6 card with low points?, I got someone told me to bid 2NT if 5 cards low point.)

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-25, 22:49

1) In SAYC jump shifts are strong and game forcing. Obviously you can agree that 2 is weak with partner if you want, but this is not part of SAYC.
2) In SAYC, a 2/1 call promises a rebid unless opener's second call is at the game level. So 1-2-2 is forcing one round. A minimum responder will normally bid 2NT or 3 next (depending on shape).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   wzhong 

• Pip

Posted 2015-September-26, 22:53

thanks awm. It is cleared on question 1.

2) if 1S-2D (forcing) -2S (<15pt, 5card, mini responded to forcing). Then, it is not forcing, am I right? Surely responder can bid 2NT to stop it. any new suit is another forcing for opener to bid, am I right?

3) In SAYC, 1S (5 card major) -2D (forcing) -2S bids show 5 card or 6 card of S suit?

#4 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-27, 00:19

Since responder promises a rebid, bids by opener above two of his major must show extras (as they are forcing). So a sequence like 1s-2d-2s could be 5s-4c and minimum, or 5332 and minimum, etc. However it could also be a quite good hand with six or more spades (a 3s rebid should be a very good suit).

Responders non-forcing bids below game after opener rebids 2M are 2nt and a rebid of his suit. A new suit is forcing. Three of openers major should be forcing, because 1M-3M was the limit raise (and only shows 3+ support in SAYC).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   wzhong 

• Pip

Posted 2015-September-28, 18:58

thanks AWM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users