BBO Discussion Forums: Competitive Situation - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Competitive Situation

Poll: Competitive Situation (39 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your call?

1. Pass (4 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

2. Double (31 votes [79.49%])

Percentage of vote: 79.49%

3. 3H (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

4. 2S (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

5. other (2 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-25, 12:06

What are your further plans (if any)?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-25, 12:29

I will double. OK, I don't have four diamonds, but the three I do have are pretty good. For sure, no way am I selling out to 2 with this much.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-September-25, 14:26

I pass

xxx in hearts is a major (no pun intended) defect for this hand.

Put it another way, unless RHO has lost his mind, if partner can't reopen, we have missed nothing. Partner will reopen with almost all opening hands short in hearts, so if he passes, we are well out of the auction. Meanwhile, if he reopens, we can re-evaluate, depending on what he bids. If he reopens with 2we can bid 3 or 4 depending on partnership style for the sequence. If he doubles, we can bid 4,showing roughly this hand...5+ clubs, not quite enough to have bid 3 originally. If he bids 3, it wouldn't be clear what to do, but we can temporize via 3.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-25, 16:51

Didn't they tell you that if you want to post in the expert forum you have to at least pretend to be one and give the form of scoring?

Easy pass at IMPs, not so sure at MPs.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-September-26, 00:09

I bid 2S with these hands for about 10 years and ive never regretted it.

A week ago I had.

http://bridgewinners...g-problem-9377/

wich is imo a far worse hand for 2S.

K9xx instead of xxx is a huge difference and we were in imps.

I was a bit worried when it went 3H-3S-AP but we won 7 imps since both 3H and 3S were making.

Anyway I think my 2S was probably a mistake at imps but I strongly believe its the right call for the OP problem.

Note that after the reopening X its imo a scrambling situration. 3D direct would show values while 2NT-3C-3D would be weak. What im wondering is what is the value range here.

if
1D-(2S)-P-(P)
X--(P)--??

here 3H directly would be 5-8 pts while 2NT(scrambling) followed by 3H would be weaker. However i dont know if the same range should apply when the suit is D since there is more hands unsuitable for a neg X.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 00:35

View Postmikeh, on 2015-September-25, 14:26, said:

I pass

xxx in hearts is a major (no pun intended) defect for this hand.

Put it another way, unless RHO has lost his mind, if partner can't reopen, we have missed nothing. Partner will reopen with almost all opening hands short in hearts, so if he passes, we are well out of the auction. Meanwhile, if he reopens, we can re-evaluate, depending on what he bids. If he reopens with 2we can bid 3 or 4 depending on partnership style for the sequence. If he doubles, we can bid 4,showing roughly this hand...5+ clubs, not quite enough to have bid 3 originally. If he bids 3, it wouldn't be clear what to do, but we can temporize via 3.

So I kind of agree with this view, but its not without cost. If partner is some AKxxx x xx Axxxx and the bidding goes 1S 2h p 4h you might struggle to get back into this auction. Obviously, this is a slightly contrived example, but there is definitely significant upside to doubling now. Obviously, you might be giving up some upside when you would rather defend two hearts, but since you have a double-ton spade, so you arent that worried about playing 2S vs defending 2h un-doubled.

On this hand, with xxx hearts and ten nice looking points inthe minors, I will double, if it was something like x Kxx Qxxx KQxxx then I would probably pass, as I think a stiff spade and a heart honour makes it all quite a lot worse, even if you are kind of "more shape suitable" in some sense. I have a lot more interest in defending 2H in the pretty common case of partner being some 5323 hand.

Also, three hearts is not such a huge defect as there are not that many hands that cannot support spades, and have fewer than three hearts. I mean I would double with lots of hands with three hearts, maybe that is a style thing.

Anyway, I don't have such a strong view either way (although I think actions other than pass or double are crazy!) but I prefer to bid when unsure so I would double here.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#7 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-September-26, 03:04

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-September-26, 00:35, said:

So I kind of agree with this view, but its not without cost. If partner is some AKxxx x xx Axxxx and the bidding goes 1S 2h p 4h you might struggle to get back into this auction. Obviously, this is a slightly contrived example, but there is definitely significant upside to doubling now. Obviously, you might be giving up some upside when you would rather defend two hearts, but since you have a double-ton spade, so you arent that worried about playing 2S vs defending 2h un-doubled.

On this hand, with xxx hearts and ten nice looking points inthe minors, I will double, if it was something like x Kxx Qxxx KQxxx then I would probably pass, as I think a stiff spade and a heart honour makes it all quite a lot worse, even if you are kind of "more shape suitable" in some sense. I have a lot more interest in defending 2H in the pretty common case of partner being some 5323 hand.

Also, three hearts is not such a huge defect as there are not that many hands that cannot support spades, and have fewer than three hearts. I mean I would double with lots of hands with three hearts, maybe that is a style thing.

Anyway, I don't have such a strong view either way (although I think actions other than pass or double are crazy!) but I prefer to bid when unsure so I would double here.

I agree that it is close. However, I don't think that LHO is bouncing to 4H very often. The opps will frequently hold six spades between them, and LHO will rarely hold four hearts, and LHO will never hold much hcp, so while 4H isn't impossible, it won't happen very often. Meanwhile, the awkward hands for any double we make will be common.....bearing in mind that when we belong in a contract, partner will usually be able to act after an in tempo pass. If LHO does bid 4H, I will double anyway, and lead a trump. Admittedly, on your example hand, that is probably not much consolation for our club gamete, but I rate to do better than anyone playing 4S, lol.

Finally, I have no problem doubling with three hearts....if I am sure we can find an 8 card fit, or play our 5-2 at a low- level. If I knew partner would never bid a 4 card diamond suit, count me in for double. It is the combination of the death holding in hearts and the short diamonds that tips the scales for me.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 04:46

It seems to me that there isn't much point in playing negative doubles if you don't use them on hands such as this. Ok, it would be nice to have a fourth diamond, but otherwise it looks pretty textbook. A pass is a trap bid. What do you do if partner reopened with a double? 3C looks like an underbid whilst 3H may take you too high.

Second choice is 2S, which could work out well, especially if opponents misjudge, placing their partners with a spade shortage.

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 06:26

I double, and I think it's fairly clear. Passing mostly wins when partner has 3 hearts. But in all other auctions I think double does better.

Say partner has a balanced 5=2=3=3 - if we double, we play in 2S, but if we pass, we'll play in 4. Say partner has the dreaded 4-card diamond suit: if we double, we play in 3. If we pass, he might double with 5=2=4=2 and we play in 4 on a 5-2 fit.

Obviously this is not a good shape for doubling, but KQ in both minors is just too much to pass.

Also, you of course have to double if partner could have a strong NT.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 07:06

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-25, 16:51, said:

Didn't they tell you that if you want to post in the expert forum you have to at least pretend to be one and give the form of scoring?

Unlike you, I don't have to pretend. I was winning regional tournaments before you were born.

The scoring was IMPs.

BTW, take the time to read your signature and apply it to your answer for IMPs.

#11 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-September-26, 09:23

I have suggested in a thread in the intermediate to advanced forum that 1-(2)-X should be spade tolerance and 'cards'. Raises to 3 and 4 after the double show 3 card support, while raises after a cue shows 4+ support. Opener needn't stretch to reopen against 1-(2)-p-(p); ?

#12 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 10:09

Depending on style double normally but if not 3c pass out of out of the question what do ypu do if p dblss and if he passes put a 0 om you card or minus 5/6 imps

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-September-26, 10:25

Oh didn't notice this before:

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-25, 16:51, said:

I think that's the wrong way round - at MPs the dangers of doubling are bigger IMO. Meanwhile, double might get us to game.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#14 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 10:55

Say partner has a balanced 5=2=3=3 - if we double, we play in 2S

huh ?
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#15 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 11:12

I guess its a style question.

With my regular partnership X is semi penality (show cards not short in H and 10pts+).

But the standard way that ive learned is that X is minors or long D not good enough for 3D or a strong hand with unclear direction (planning to take another bid).

With a 5233 I expect opener to rebid 3C. With a 5332 and xxx in H i expect 3D not 2S. In short i expect very good !S to bid 2!S with 5.

In retrospect i can understand those who play X ask for a 4m and 2S is a catch-all rebid but i dont see how they can continue if opener rebid of 2S can be anything. You seems to play that X is often 2 trumps and a 5m but i see this as inferior to X is often 54 & 55 in the M.

#16 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-September-26, 11:20

2S is the normal rebid with no 4-card minor. Of course if you agree 2N is scrambling (this is probably best here) then you won't have to do it with 5=2=3=3.

#17 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 12:27

View Postbenlessard, on 2015-September-26, 11:12, said:

I guess its a style question.

I thought we were debating what is the optimal style. The style which would maximize our expected imps or expected matchpoints.

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-September-26, 12:43

dboxley asks "What are your further plans (if any)?"

I rank
1. Double. Descriptive. Values in minors. Intending to pass 2, 3m, 2N, or 3N; and bid 3 over 3.
2. 2. At pairs, playing 5-card majors, this might be the optimal competitive move.
3. Pass. But if partner protects with a double, you are in a dilemma. Bid 2 or 3 and you might be missing game. Bid 3 or anything enterprising and you might punish partner for protecting.
4. 3. A bit of a stretch.

#19 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 13:55

View Postnige1, on 2015-September-26, 12:43, said:

dboxley asks "What are your further plans (if any)?"

I rank
1. Double. Descriptive. Values in minors. Intending to pass 2, 3m, 2N, or 3N; and bid 3 over 3.
2. 2. At pairs, playing 5-card majors, this might be the optimal competitive move.
3. Pass. But if partner protects with a double, you are in a dilemma. Bid 2 or 3 and you might be missing game. Bid 3 or anything enterprising and you might punish partner for protecting.
4. 3. A bit of a stretch.

The main reason I like (1.) over (2.) is I don't want partner competing with 3 over 3 with any 6 card spade suit.

#20 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 14:21

The main reason I like (1.) over (2.) is I don't want partner competing with 3♠ over 3♥ with any 6 card spade suit.

I disagree about this.

If partner is 61 he will fight to 3S anyway (possible he bid 4D with a 6142 ?). if hes 63 they wont compete. So we have to assume hes 62.

Yes its only 18 trumps but the hand is pure so i see 17 LOTT trumps. Is both 3H and 3S making more likely than both 3H and 3S going down ? I think so. Even if its a close case the small pickup from +140 vs +50 and -100 vs -140 make up the difference.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users