#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-September-24, 15:17

ok maybe an over-reaction :D but GIB held

AKT54
AK8

I was just playing a few real quick hands so the result etc doesn't matter but the problem is that as dealer red at imps, gib elects to open this hand 1h rather than 1n. Really??? sure it's 14 points but its ak ak and a super 5 card major - if this isn't an upgrade I'm not sure what is.

I'm not sure if it's possible to programme GIB to upgrade on certain hands, but if it is then it feels like a bug

Cheers

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-24, 15:48

But GIB doesn't auto-1NT on any 5M332 hand in range, does it? If playing a style where you can choose between 1M and 1NT for 15-17 hands then this is a supersuity hand that you want to open 1M.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 00:22

I have never known GIB to stray from 15-17 HCP when opening 1N.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 05:44

View Posteagles123, on 2015-September-24, 15:17, said:

ok maybe an over-reaction :D but GIB held

AKT54
AK8

I was just playing a few real quick hands so the result etc doesn't matter but the problem is that as dealer red at imps, gib elects to open this hand 1h rather than 1n. Really??? sure it's 14 points but its ak ak and a super 5 card major - if this isn't an upgrade I'm not sure what is.

I'm not sure if it's possible to programme GIB to upgrade on certain hands, but if it is then it feels like a bug

Cheers

Eagles

Its a bad idea to upgrade that hand to 1NT control rich in two suits especially since one is a major.

#5 User is online   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-September-26, 13:26

This hand worth an upgrade if partner has 3+ and possibly if partner has 4+. But unless you open 1 you are less likely to find fit.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-27, 23:19

Regardless of the specifics of this hand (AKAK), I think it's interesting that GIB "upgrades" a hand with 17HCP and a 5 card major and says this is too strong to open 1N but it doesn't upgrade 14HCP and a 5 card major to say this is strong enough for 1N.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users