• You cannot reply to this topic

Unsuccessful penalty pass

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-24, 11:23

Now what?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-September-24, 12:09

I'll give a try to 3NT, though a club slam should also be on the picture.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-September-24, 12:27

I definitely won't just settle for 3N I think we have a super hand for clubs - we may even have grand if p has great cards

maybe start with 3h?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-24, 12:31

I would be very happy with my ace-empty-sixth in hearts, my AQ of spades and my three card support (with two honors ;) ) for partner's 6+ suit.

Partner should be happy to play 4 if I put xxxx KJxxxx - xxx in the dummy. I am not saying that he will make 4 in that case, but it can't possibly be a disaster (as it would be if I were 2-1 in the minors), so he should be able to come close to 10 tricks. And look what I hold: I have two and a half tricks more! And controls!

I would simply bid 6, playing for a layout like:

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-24, 12:46

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-September-24, 12:31, said:

I would be very happy with my ace-empty-sixth in hearts, my AQ of spades and my three card support (with two honors ;) ) for partner's 6+ suit.

Partner should be happy to play 4 if I put xxxx KJxxxx - xxx in the dummy. I am not saying that he will make 4 in that case, but it can't possibly be a disaster (as it would be if I were 2-1 in the minors), so he should be able to come close to 10 tricks. And look what I hold: I have two and a half tricks more! And controls!

I would simply bid 6, playing for a layout like:

Rik

2 was intermediate? Not that it changes a lot if you give a K to other opponent. 3046 is less likely than 2146 since doubling was an option with former but not with latter. 6-5 is much more likely than others for this bid.

I am not against slam of course. I know it is hard to investigate. Because we first have to tell pd trump is clubs in a forcing way. Even this alone will put us too high to investigate anything. After that pd will have to bid himself, or if we are going to do it it will not be different than we are doing it now. Tuff hand to deal with. I am sure at the table I would cue and then bid 5
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-24, 13:14

Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-24, 14:33

3 can't be wrong. It can't be so useful either, but certainly not wrong. For example partner can easilly bid 3NT and we can reopen with 4

#8 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-24, 14:48

It seems like new 3 should be a NT probe/cue for clubs to me. If we're min, we pass with D preference and bid 4C with C preference. So 4 is the cheapest forcing suit-setting bid, meaning, by our meta-agreements at least, that cues are for the other suit in contention.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 16:52

6c

It will take a ton of delicacy to allow us to not only makes clubs trumps but find out if p has a heart void (vs rho which would make holding the Ace a mirage) so any search for 7 is most likely a doomed prospect. Even if p knows you have the heart ace they cannot appreciate the fact that their singleton heart is fool's gold. I have so much more offensive potential than p could ever realize after my initial pass and if we do not have good play for 6c (even if rho doubles the initial heart lead) it is most likely only because opener overbid with 3d.

#10 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 16:56

Rik, please undo this 3 bid! There might be children watching!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-25, 17:05

View Postcherdano, on 2015-September-25, 16:56, said:

Rik, please undo this 3 bid! There might be children watching!

Heh, indeed Rik's proposed 3 seems a bit light/off-shape. When this hand came up (I was actually generating hands to test Transfer Lebensohl methods), South actually had a 2056 shape, I believe it was xx - AKQJx AKxxxx, and 7 was on.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-26, 04:38

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-25, 17:05, said:

Heh, indeed Rik's proposed 3 seems a bit light/off-shape. When this hand came up (I was actually generating hands to test Transfer Lebensohl methods), South actually had a 2056 shape, I believe it was xx - AKQJx AKxxxx, and 7 was on.

Off shape? Yes
Light? Hell no!

Just take a spade and put in and this hand is more than enough for 3 It does not have to be a HOLLY ***** hand as you constructed.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users