• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-September-24, 14:20

dickiegera asks "Is this the correct bid here? If so Is it the best bid?"

Even if partner has shown 5+ s, I rank
1. 2. Reverse. Descriptive. Space-conserving. Next support
2. 2. Underbid.
3. 3. Limit raise. Would like to have another .
4. 2. UCB. Overbid but OK.
5. 3 Splinter. You owe partner a trump.
6. 3 Fragment. Only by agreement.

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-24, 17:27

View PostFrom 2015-September-23, 08:48:

Is it? It is still opener's turn.

Of course maybe partner of OP has forced him to play support doubles...

View PostFrom 2015-September-23, 10:40:

If it is simply a case of not having looked at the hand, then I would suggest that Mr Ace remove his drivel as it will be very confusing to the OP and any other beginners who might read this thread.

View PostFrom 2015-September-23, 13:18:

LOL call me a troll or w/e the important part is removing the nonsense because it will only cause confusion.

I did not see you removing the nonsense.Posted Image

Dear God, thanks for delivering an immediate justice!

This post has been edited by barmar: 2015-September-25, 10:12
Reason for edit: removed quotee's name on their request

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   lrussell 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-24, 18:03

3 works for me. Be nice to have a 4th spade but life isn't perfect. When we have a fit I've found it best to let partner know.
2 might work too.
Lorne Russell

#24 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 00:26

View Postnige1, on 2015-September-24, 14:20, said:

dickiegera asks "Is this the correct bid here? If so Is it the best bid?"

Even if partner has shown 5+ s, I rank
1. 2. Reverse. Descriptive. Space-conserving. Next support
2. 2. Underbid.
3. 3. Limit raise. Would like to have another .
4. 2. UCB. Overbid but OK.
5. 3 Splinter. You owe partner a trump.
6. 3 Fragment. Only by agreement.

prefer 2d at this point

I may have problems later

at this point I show:
1) less than 4s
2) 5c and 4d
3) good hand

#25 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-25, 04:49

1st the opening bid is wrong this hand opens 1 not 1
2nd the 1 is from five cards not four now we upgrade and bid 3 imo

#26 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-September-25, 06:47

I vote for 2D here as well. I actually think this is best, since whatever partner bids next, we will continue with spades at the lowest level, and we have described our hand very well. The problem with 2H is that it's ambiguous (some strong hand with no clear direction), and 3H definitely requires a 4th trump, which we don't have.

#27 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 09:58

View Postdickiegera, on 2015-September-23, 08:15, said:

Is this the correct bid here?
If so
Is it the best bid?

Thank you

Regardless of whether 1S shows 4+ or 5+ spades, a raise to the 3 level promises at least 4 card support. So, 3H (whatever it might mean as some kind of spade raise) is not appropriate. And, for the same reason, 3S (regardless of how you define its meaning) is not appropriate.

What are reasonable alternatives? I suggest there are 3 possible bids to consider: 2S; 2H; and 2D.

I think you have too much for 2S, even considering that lack of a 4th spade is a defect. You have 3 aces and a singleton - control of all suits and your lower honors are supporting aces. This is a too good for just a minimum rebid.

2D with the plan to support spades next is reasonable, but I don't think you really have quite enough for this even though it is close. A negative to this plan is that it takes a while to raise spades and you will be raising to the 3 level and partner could be pretty weak. On the positive side, at least RHO has passed, so the auction is not likely to get competitive and you should get a chance to raise spades without going beyond the 3 level.

I like 2H best. It tells partner you have 3+ spades and better than a 2S raise. It is flexible and keeps the bidding low. If partner bails with 2S, you can pass confidently, having shown your good hand and support. If partner does something more encouraging, you are well placed to continue showing your values.

Case_No_6

#28 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 10:03

View PostMrAce, on 2015-September-24, 17:27, said:

I did not see you removing the nonsense.Posted Image

Dear God, thanks for delivering an immediate justice!

Is there some sort of point to posting random unrelated quotes from different threads? What, if anything does it add to the discussion at hand?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#29 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 11:35

2d

When there is limited space due to preemptive bidding sometimes we "cheat" a bit for the hopefully greater good. There is no such problem here so there seems to be no reason for us to do anything other than bid out our pattern and show partner our 3145 distribution with 16-18 power. Note that the patterning out will essentially be just like a splinter bid but helps p visualize 3 card vs 4 card support in case that helps them decide how to proceed. No need to rob partner of that information unless necessary. Any concerns about this hand not being strong enough for a reverse should be significantly reduced since we are in possession of so many controls. With a less control-oriented hand KQx x KQxx KQxxx I would be a lot happier bidding just 3s.

#30 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-September-25, 12:17

View Postcase_no_6, on 2015-September-25, 09:58, said:

2D with the plan to support spades next is reasonable, but I don't think you really have quite enough for this even though it is close. A negative to this plan is that it takes a while to raise spades and you will be raising to the 3 level and partner could be pretty weak. On the positive side, at least RHO has passed, so the auction is not likely to get competitive and you should get a chance to raise spades without going beyond the 3 level.

I like 2H best. It tells partner you have 3+ spades and better than a 2S raise. It is flexible and keeps the bidding low. If partner bails with 2S, you can pass confidently, having shown your good hand and support. If partner does something more encouraging, you are well placed to continue showing your values.

Case_No_6

This is silly. 2 is unconditionally game forcing in standard bidding (well, some might allow the partnership to play 4 after this start) so to argue that the hand is too weak to reverse, which is not game force altho it might later lead to a game force, but strong enough to cue bid is logically wrong.

Edit: in addition, 2H doesn't promise spades! It could be based on running clubs, with some side values but no heart stopper. It asks partner to make a cheap, descriptive bid following which the cuebidder will describe the basis for the cuebid....which means that responder's 2S isn't a weakness call....it is merely making a cheap 'noise'. Thus passing 2S could lead to missing a slam!
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#31 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 13:12

View Postdickiegera, on 2015-September-23, 08:15, said:

Is this the correct bid here?
If so
Is it the best bid?

Thank you

I can't understand why you would want to bid 3h when you have a perfectly adequate 2d bid that describes your hand. If 3h is asking for a heart stop what does partner do if he doesn't have one?
The simple approach is usually the best and this hand is good enough for a reverse to 2d. You might still get to 3nt but maybe game in spades is more likely. If partner bids 2h or even 3h you can now show your 3 card spade support.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users