BBO Discussion Forums: 4cM question - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4cM question To slamhunt?

Poll: 4cM question (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call at IMPs?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 4S (11 votes [78.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

3. Other (3 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Your call at MPs?

1. Pass (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. 4S (10 votes [71.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. Other (3 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-25, 02:37

View Postgordontd, on 2015-September-25, 01:26, said:

I've seen a few people say that recently and it's surprised me. I thought opening the major was more old-school and that many players have moved towards opening the minor as a sort of half-way house influenced by those who play 5cM. Or perhaps those people are now old-school and there's an even newer tendency back to opening the major that I haven't caught up with yet!

I tend to refer back to a couple of old Norfolk players I've partnered (one no longer with us) as to what old school Acol is. They open the major with strong NT hands. There was a vogue when Crowhurst released "Precision bidding in Acol" to open the minor (to accommodate a wide range 1N rebid), and some weak players open whichever gives a more convenient rebid which mangles the rest of their system.

#22 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-25, 11:00

Just curious. What do we hope to accomplish with a 4S cue? What kind of hand is partner supposed to keycard (or god forbid, cue back), and what hand shouldn't?
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#23 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-25, 12:29

'Old School' Acol used to fudge the question of which suit to open. The idea was that you selected your opening bid with your rebid in mind to allow you to show both suits, without reversing.

Most would now accept that the objective is to show the balanced shape - by opening 1NT (12-14 if playing a weak NT) or opening a suit and rebidding NT. (And as a collorally, bidding a second suit suggests an unbalanced hand with 5 cards in the first suit).

Given that the rebid will be no trumps, most modern Acol players in the UK will choose to open the major. I know that this isn't universal, particularly outside the UK, but I think it makes far more sense to open the major:
- opening the minor and rebidding NT hides the major. Why would you want to do that?
- you are playing four-card majors because you believe that this allows you to find 4-4 fits earlier. Shouldn't you take as many opportunities as you can to bid the major? Otherwise, why not play 5-card majors?
- Opening the major makes it more difficult for the opponents to overcall.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users