• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bad bid Brilliant play 7[heart] from no where

#1 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-22, 10:54

1st why did my dear p (robot) bid 7?
But really he squeezed east very nicely after spade lead making this contract.

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-22, 11:17

Probably because you had a very light hand for a 2C bid, and despite that you launched into Blackwood over partner's 3H call. Then there was your 6C call, another sign of encouragement with your dead minimum at best.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-22, 11:27

It may help to include the explanations of the bids as interpreted by GIB, to understand the rationale of the 7H.

As I understand it, using GIBberish, you have 22 total points. The 4NT bid promises 24. The 6C bid promises 27, Whether that should be sufficient to propel North to 7H I leave as an exercise for the student. Personally I think not, but perhaps not quite as unreasonable as if South were within expected boundaries.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-22, 12:43

Is 5nt with zero keys and a void really best? I learned 5nt as 2 keys and a void. But searching around I see some people indeed playing it as zero or 2. If it's zero or two, then surely there ought to be a way to clarify, and should just bid 6h having zero?

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-22, 14:38

You'll find there are some areas of bidding where GIB seems to bid very timidly, and others where it is very aggressive. And there are many nuances in between. I think most will agree that GIB tends to be aggressive when partner opens 2C. So be especially careful not to overbid once you have opened 2C. And for what it's worth, I'd open 1H with the actual hand. If you played this hand in a tournament, probably some did choose that call, and I'd be interested in how the auctions proceeded from there.

#6 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-22, 14:44

deleted duplicate

#7 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-September-22, 15:45

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-September-22, 11:27, said:

It may help to include the explanations of the bids as interpreted by GIB, to understand the rationale of the 7H.

As I understand it, using GIBberish, you have 22 total points. The 4NT bid promises 24. The 6C bid promises 27, Whether that should be sufficient to propel North to 7H I leave as an exercise for the student. Personally I think not, but perhaps not quite as unreasonable as if South were within expected boundaries.

How did u get the full hand?!

#8 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-September-22, 15:57

View Postiandayre, on 2015-September-22, 14:44, said:

You'll find there are some areas of bidding where GIB seems to bid very timidly, and others where it is very aggressive. And there are many nuances in between. I think most will agree that GIB tends to be aggressive when partner opens 2C. So be especially careful not to overbid once you have opened 2C. And for what it's worth, I'd open 1H with the actual hand. If you played this hand in a tournament, probably some did choose that call, and I'd be interested in how the auctions proceeded from there.

Yes this was in a tourney all other players open 1 2 only open 2 2 ends in 6 2 in 7 the other -1- rest of tables stop at 4

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-September-22, 20:59

View Postzdedo, on 2015-September-22, 15:45, said:

How did u get the full hand?!

I picked it up from the MyHands database, at

http://www.bridgebas...hands/index.php

I searched for hands played by zdedo in the last couple of days and scrolled to the only 7H making.

It doesn't always work.

Not all hands played on BBO make it to the myhands database (total points, rubber, just play bridge, bingo, money games etc being examples that do not).

For security, some hands that do make it there are hidden from interrogators whose myhands login ID did not play in the relevant tourney (pure robot tourneys with human South and robots in all other seats)

Some players use a different ID when playing from when posting to the forums.

And finally the hands in myhands scroll off the visible spectrum after a few months.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-September-23, 23:19

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-September-22, 11:27, said:

...[U]sing Gibberish... [t]he 6C bid promises 27, Whether that should be sufficient to propel North to 7H I leave as an exercise for the student. Personally I think not...

But, 27+ plus 10 = 37+, which is probably enough for grand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users