• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

negative doubles 1S - (2H) - X

#21 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-23, 16:08

I agree with nige1 even playing acol. If i pass on 1 how can p make a protectiive dbl?

#22 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-23, 18:11

View Postjogs, on 2015-September-22, 18:24, said:

Maybe it is just me. I do not use the symbol when stating the number of cards in a suit.

2 would show 3 spades, 3 would show 4 spades, 4 would presumably show 5 spades.

The two of you are not appreciating the value of the extra trump. Partner must know the trump length to assist him in judgment in contested auctions.
E(tricks) = trumps + (HCP-20)/3
On average the extra trump is worth a full trick.
E(tricks) = trumps + (HCP-20)/3 + e
Not always. There is always a fudge factor.

#23 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-23, 18:17

View Postjogs, on 2015-September-22, 18:24, said:

Maybe it is just me. I do not use the symbol when stating the number of cards in a suit.

2 would show 3 spades, 3 would show 4 spades, 4 would presumably show 5 spades.

The two of you are not appreciating the value of the extra trump. Partner must know the trump length to assist him in judgment in contested auctions.
E(tricks) = trumps + (HCP-20)/3
On average the extra trump is worth a full trick.
E(tricks) = trumps + (HCP-20)/3 + e
Not always. There is always a fudge factor.

I'm not sure I get what your saying. It is a practical impossibility to distinguish among some 3- and 4-card limit+ raises in competitive auctions, given that most players play a direct jump raise as preemptive. Also I'm not sure 'what I'm not appreciating'. The thread hands have only three trumps.

#24 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-September-25, 17:22

View Postjodepp, on 2015-September-23, 18:17, said:

I'm not sure I get what your saying. It is a practical impossibility to distinguish among some 3- and 4-card limit+ raises in competitive auctions, given that most players play a direct jump raise as preemptive. Also I'm not sure 'what I'm not appreciating'. The thread hands have only three trumps.

I'm suggesting that the cue should show four card support, while the double then rebid of 3 shows 3 card support.

#25 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-27, 20:57

I think its pretty textbook here for both 3H and 2N to be spade raises. How you split them up is a bit open for debate.

Hand 1
I like just bidding 3N on these hands at unfavourable. At favourable I would try a penalty pass. At all white or all red I would probably go the penalty pass route. I think 2S is criminal; not because its an underbid, not sure that it is with those hearts, but tactically I would much rather defend 2H than play 2S, and when partner is inviting over 2S I would much rather defend 2Hx. If you have four hearts and it goes 1y 2x p p partner basically always reopens. If partner has enough to invite over 2S he *ALWAYS REOPENS*. Not reopening here with anything other than a dead min with 3 hearts is an instant shooting offence.

Hand 2
I would bid 3H wtp? xxxx hearts is really a pretty good holding to play 4S here. 2S would be a criminal underbid. Don't mind bidding 3D if partner is a devotee of Robson-Segal. Quite like it in fact.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users