BBO Discussion Forums: Lack of alert of a common artificial bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lack of alert of a common artificial bid

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-20, 23:29

No alert was given for 2NT.

South receibes Q lead which holds. Another heart comes which is ruffed. Now south assumed 2NT showed the minors and though there were very bad splits ahead. East is marked with singleton at most in spades so south begun to draw trumps from hand with A+Q

This resulted on +620 which was a bottom for NS.

EW are a first time partnership. East thinks they had agreed on 2NT 2 places to play, but West thinks it was minors,

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-21, 00:07

Would 2NT for the minors be alertable in your jurisdiction?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-September-21, 00:28

Yes, there is a list of standard conventions but it includes stayman, transfer a little more.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-September-21, 01:18

If 2nt=minors would be alertable then it is South's own problem that he assumes an unalerted 2nt bid to show minors.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-21, 01:38

So, South is supposed to assume it is a 20 point balanced hand (presumably the unalerted meaning) when the hand can have at most 17 after trick 1?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   Manastorm 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-21, 01:45

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-September-21, 01:38, said:

So, South is supposed to assume it is a 20 point balanced hand (presumably the unalerted meaning) when the hand can have at most 17 after trick 1?

Rik

Indeed south should assume that is the agreement, but probably not what east holds.

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-21, 02:14

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-September-21, 01:38, said:

Rik

No, I think South should consider that there has been a failure to alert and should ask.

If he assumed it was the minors with no alert, I can't see why we would expect him to do otherwise if there had been an alert.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-21, 07:11

View Postgordontd, on 2015-September-21, 02:14, said:

No, I think South should consider that there has been a failure to alert and should ask.

If he assumed it was the minors with no alert, I can't see why we would expect him to do otherwise if there had been an alert.

I agree he should have asked with or without an alert. However, he would, it seems, have been told "minors", and he would have placed East with none AKx Jxxxx JT9xx or the like. He would then have continued with top spades, perforce, and would have then received an adjusted score for misinformation, as the correct explanation appears to be "no agreement". We are also told in 21B1(a): Failure to alert <snip> is deemed misinformation. So, we deem that South was misinformed.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-September-21, 16:25

Is there more than one possible meaning that does not require an alert?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-21, 17:12

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-September-21, 16:25, said:

Is there more than one possible meaning that does not require an alert?

Does that even matter? Declarer assumed that it was an alertable meaning, but didn't ask for an explanation.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-September-21, 18:30

I'm trying to figure out why he didn't ask. I suppose he thought he knew. <shrug>
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-21, 21:24

The failure to alert is MI. But it doesn't seem like the MI was the cause of the damage. Had there been an alert, and had he asked, he would have been told "minors", which is what he assumed. And even if he were told "no agreement" (which seems to be the actual fact), he presumably would have assumed minors, since that's what he assumed without asking.

It seems like it would be legal to give a PP to West for the failure to alert, but there doesn't seem to be a cause for score adjustment.

The only tricky case would have been if he'd asked and been told "minors", then at the end of the hand East corrected it to "2 suits". Then the TD might reasonably decide that being told something specific that isn't actually their agreement was a direct cause of his misplaying. It would be difficult to know what the player would have assumed if he'd been correctly told "no agreement".

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users